Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Overgrown cat claws

TopCat - forgot to add, as has been touched on by several people - you could probably help by getting a cat scratching post. Whether that is a rope or cardboard type only time and your cat will tell ...

one of mine ended up with a branch and a wide-grained softwood plank as the favoured ones, she didn't really get on with rope or cardboard, or at least not for a prolonged session / she got bored, maybe ?

TopCat - forgot to add, as has been touched on by several people - you could probably help by getting a cat scratching post. Whether that is a rope or cardboard type only time and your cat will tell ...

one of mine ended up with a branch and a wide-grained softwood plank as the favoured ones, she didn't really get on with rope or cardboard, or at least not for a prolonged session / she got bored, maybe ?
I bought a scratching post. I opened it and put it in front of him. He looked at it. He looked at me. I scratched at it with my nails and he looked like he understood, I had got myself a scratching post. I gave it away not long after.

I could always do Radar's myself and can do Jakeys, but took Sonic to see the vet nurse 3 or 4 times a year to have his trimmed in his latter years when he had a bit of arthritis which caused his claws to over-grow (could no longer retract them so they'd curl under into his pads).

He lived on my lap that cat, utterly adored me, and I'm pretty good at handling cats, but I was never able to do his, and at the vet it was a 2 person job.

They are not all the same.

Glad you managed to get it sorted TopCat - if you can wipe a bit of saline on the affected paw pad then that would be great (but I understand it may be tricky!) and ffs if those bites you got start to show any sign of infection or swelling, get yourself to A&E pronto, you don't want to end up with gangrene or sepsis! Well done for getting the job done though.

I love your BobbyCat. I guess if you tried to take a photo he would show you his anus. 😀

Apparently if you bite the fur at the back of his neck, the way his mum used to hold him, it totally calms them.

Disclaimer: I haven't actually tried this.

Apparently if you bite the fur at the back of his neck, the way his mum used to hold him, it totally calms them.

Disclaimer: I haven't actually tried this.

Absolutely not, even vets don't scruff cats these days. (With their hands, let alone their teeth).

Humans are not a cat's mother, and no matter how much they love you, they won't understand this in the same way as if their cat mother did this when they were a tiny kitten.

Well Bobby seems much happier. I dug out more crap from his pad and he didn’t bite much. Nothing is penetrating his pad now and he can get in there and clean the crap out.
He is next to me on the sofa but is stretching out with said paw furthest away from me.

The boys make me laugh. Ted continues to get into Boo’s bed on the few occasions that Boo vacates it. This evening, the old cat went to have a drink, came back and Ted was already curled up in it pretending to sleep. Not pretending that well because he kept opening an eye and looking worried. Anyway, we told him to get up and let Boo have his bed back. So he did with much of air of a wounded teenager told to do something that’s so UNFAIR

Anyway, 30 minutes later, this is the current outcome

IMG_1058.jpeg

IMG_1060.jpeg

I posted that on this thread by mistake, by the way :D. It might as well stay here, though. Boo has very very old man cat claws that are difficult to hack through, so there is some tangential link

I posted that on this thread by mistake, by the way :D. It might as well stay here, though. Boo has very very old man cat claws that are difficult to hack through, so there is some tangential link

Aye, Jakey too - he's 17, indoor only, not very active, doesn't scratch on things to pull off the claw sheathes or pull them off with his teeth, his claws get really thick.
Thankfully he is really good about having them trimmed, I also ask the vet to do it when we have any sort of consultation - the vet or vet nurse tends to manage it a bit better than me because they don't have arthritis in their hands which makes it difficult especially when tackling the hind claws, they can get really quite thick.

Well my daughter noticed BobbyCat has another scimitar style cat claw which has penetrated his pad. Must be sore as fuck.

We are planning a three person team armed with calm treats, creamy treats and a pair of side cutters. I’m scared. It will be me who gets bit.

Well my daughter noticed BobbyCat has another scimitar style cat claw which has penetrated his pad. Must be sore as fuck.

We are planning a three person team armed with calm treats, creamy treats and a pair of side cutters. I’m scared. It will be me who gets bit.
Welders' gloves are an essential tool.

It's a little disconcerting that their claws do this when they're old - you're used to a very active young or middle aged cat with proper needles, then they hit old age and it's like oh ok this is something I need to do for you now then is it?

(Love my darling old boy Jakey more than I can express but his claws are a nightmare :D )

Last edited:
I managed to do most of Jakey's worst ones tonight, he's a good boy (not like Sonic who used to scream his head off about it, and I mean actual screaming, and struggle with a lot of muscular strength!) but it's left my hand in pain and I'm very pissed off that last time we were at the vets a couple of weeks ago, the locum vet wouldn't help me with it because there wasn't a vet nurse in to hold him, and she said I couldn't hold him in case he scratched or bit me and there would be an issue of liability so he was left with overgrown claws.

I've managed to sort it myself, but it's neither easy for me to deal with his thicker claws myself, nor to cart him back and forth to the vet (which is stressful for him and difficult for me) - if I am there for one thing and I ask whoever I am seeing to help clip his claws, I am not used to that not being OK, first time it's ever been refused, and I've never been told I can't hold him for it. Still seething a bit tbh. what about the liability of sending a cat home with claws starting to poke at his paw pads and cause discomfort and risk of infection?

I managed to do most of Jakey's worst ones tonight, he's a good boy (not like Sonic who used to scream his head off about it, and I mean actual screaming, and struggle with a lot of muscular strength!) but it's left my hand in pain and I'm very pissed off that last time we were at the vets a couple of weeks ago, the locum vet wouldn't help me with it because there wasn't a vet nurse in to hold him, and she said I couldn't hold him in case he scratched or bit me and there would be an issue of liability so he was left with overgrown claws.

I've managed to sort it myself, but it's neither easy for me to deal with his thicker claws myself, nor to cart him back and forth to the vet (which is stressful for him and difficult for me) - if I am there for one thing and I ask whoever I am seeing to help clip his claws, I am not used to that not being OK, first time it's ever been refused, and I've never been told I can't hold him for it. Still seething a bit tbh. what about the liability of sending a cat home with claws starting to poke at his paw pads and cause discomfort and risk of infection?
Vets in my experience are good at charging and shite at a lot else.

Jesus Christ
My daughter had contacted me at work today to say this paw was bleeding and he was limping. I knew it needed doing but was tardy due to anticipated bites.

Came home and done it straight away. He is fine now. Getting strokes and food. He can clean out the wound his fucking self.

I love this cat.

Back
Top Bottom