Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Workfare steward the Jubilee

I find it hard to completely exonerate whoever it was who commissioned them!

Be interesting finding out how that one came down the line.

I do so hope that some Tory minister had a word with another Tory minister, and this "wheeze" was a result of some kind of "old fuckwits' network". "I know, Edgar, why don't we get some of those beggar people, those jobseekers that your department has, to steward the event?". "Wizard wheeze, Montague!".

WTF is that it???

About 20 secs on world at one where they said the 'company had been criticised' and 'people had been expected to camp out' not that they had actually done so and that the 'company had apologised' no mention of the company name. This preceded by lots of gushing sycophancy.
Pretty sure they'll come back to it. They touted it as a featurette.

http://thethirdestate.net/

Just to indicate how far liberal institutions have sunk, it appears that Prince who appears to be another workfare princess like Emma, company operates out of Salford University Business Centre...

I expect they will be getting some calls on wednesday..

That's got an outright lie in it

Of these, 50 people under the age of 25 were paid the government's standard rate for apprentices of £2.60 per hour and the other 30 either accepted the same rate or refused payment because it would adversely affect their benefits.

No mention of the people quoted as saying they were expecting to be paid but had been told when they turned up for the bus that they wouldn't be after all, but if they didn't take the job then they would not be considered for paid work for the Olympics

Why the fuck would you get stewards from bristol for an event in london?

To control them.

People bussed in need to be bussed back out. A handy further 'threat' if you dared consider telling them to fuck off midway through trying to put a tent up on concrete.

Words fail me really. Although having said that, I've just written to my MP about it. It's not just the company that should be held responsible - this is part of a government programme.

6 months to get an nvq2 what a fucking scam.
Secuirty guard minimum wage job .
Apprentice used to mean a way into a high skilled well paid job now its a fucking joke.

RE: WAO interview with Tomorrow's People boss, its clear that many of these charity elites have lost their moral compass....

Considering many 'charities' these days exist by competing for contracts for contracted out ex-public services, it is no surprise that they have bought into that agenda wholesale. Pay and conditions for charity workers are hardly luxurious, unless you are at the top, of course.

More likey its much harder to bin a job if you have a lot further to walk.

We have a winner. It's all very well telling these 'employers' to go fuck themselves but what's a train ticket from London to Bristol cost? £30 at least I'd have thought. That's not the kind of cash the average doley has available.

That and they'd most likely been told that if they fucked off this placement they'd have their benefits cut off. Despite the government's apparent U-turn on workfare there was only a minor change to the rules of one out of half a dozen upaid labour schemes currently running. No matter what the regulations say, private welfare providers have long since been empowered to get someone's benefits cut off for any reason they can pull out of their arse. Why else would people put themselves through this sort of shit? Workfare is carrot-and-stick but with no carrot. Do they expect us to believe they got rid of the stick as well?

also, this sort of work should always be paid without exception, unless it's for a good cause and the people are actually volunteering rather than being coerced into it.

It is really tough work, and everyone should get paid from the trainee upwards, which was always the way it was when I was working in the industry.

Volunteer stewarding music festivals is different because the volunteers are actually volunteers who want to go to the festival, and get a ticket worth the rough value of their work at minimum wage in exchange. WTF did these guys get out of what sounds like 48 hours of hell, least they should be getting is some decent wedge for that experience.

I think these are the cunts responsible for this

http://www.close-protectionuk.co.uk
Close Protection UK
info@close-protectionuk.com
08455 007 999

For festival stewards very rarely does the value of a ticket equal the hours they work at minimum wage, it's near £2.50-£3 an hour

It's hardly difficult work though.

This on the other hand is fucking disgraceful

John Prescott is calling for an inquiry...looks like this story isn't going away.

wonder if there will be any comment from the labour front bench?

it's about bloody time, bearing in mind the job security that most "hard working families" have now, and how much they will have if the "fire at will" gets implemented by cameron and his collection of cunts, that the labour party stopped trying to portray anyone who's out of work as being "them" not "us"...

Do you think sending an emai to closeprotectionuk asking how much would a pack of slaves cost to hire for the weekend would be trolling?

Do you think sending an emai to closeprotectionuk asking how much would a pack of slaves cost to hire for the weekend would be trolling?

No. If you worded it subtly you could get quite a revealing exchange going, though.

Is it just Tomorrow's People sitting between the DWP and Close Protection, or is one of our other friendly privatised-Jobcentre companies in there too?

Is it just Tomorrow's People sitting between the DWP and Close Protection, or is one of our other friendly privatised-Jobcentre companies in there too?

I'd guess that Tomorrow's People are a teir 2 provider and there'll be one of the privatised job centre companies in between them. Not many charities could meet the Work Programme's requirements for a tier 1 provider.

Back
Top Bottom