Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Workfare steward the Jubilee

Because it's morally the right thing to do? :confused: Cos exploiting vulnerable people is wrong?
It's just a meaningless thing to say when we have an economy explicitly, legally and ideologically based on selfishness and the-winner-takes-all. You can't create an entire infrastructure aimed at selfish exploitation then wag your finger at people for using it. Well, okay, you can, but the finger wagger looks a bit naive.

It's just a meaningless thing to say when we have an economy explicitly, legally and ideologically based on selfishness and the-winner-takes-all. You can't create an entire infrastructure aimed at selfish exploitation then wag your finger at people for using it. Well, okay, you can, but the finger wagger looks a bit naive.
You have a very low opinion of human nature. Vast majority of employers take the welfare of their employees seriously. (I'm talking about small businesses btw).

You have a very low opinion of human nature. Vast majority of employers take the welfare of their employees seriously. (I'm talking about small businesses btw).
You got any proper evidence for that? I have anecdotes both for and against your position.

Fordism treat your workers with a modicum of respect and they will work well.
Treat them like shit and they won't.
Pluscgiven half a chance will seriously fuck you up.

why should small businesses be lumbered with looking after the welfare of their employees, pay holiday and sick pay? and all that 'elf and safety crap! they worked hard for it, they should be able to keep and get away with what they can surely!
and if the 'workers' don't like it they can, they can go live in Russia!!

Not the easiest one to answer since so many of their 'apprentices' were existing employees. So much of the story with Morrisons was not about the pay, but about whether this stuff really counted as an apprenticeships at all, especially as the training was tending to last just half a year. The millions that the accreditation company got from the government and went straight into one mans pocket became the focus of the story it seems.

And the reason they do so is that they can't afford to keep replacing staff and spending a lot on recruitment. They do the right thing by their employees because they've worked out that it's cost effective in the long term.

'5 June 2012 Last updated at 15:44
Prescott urges inquiry into Jubilee work experience claims

Ministers are being urged to look into reports that unemployed people hired as unpaid stewards for the Diamond Jubilee ended up having to sleep outside.'

Got to give Prescott credit here, he could just sit on his arse in the HOl but is now bringing attention to this disgrace, can't forgive him for the Pathfinder programme though...

I've always worked for small businesses. I've no way to test the 'vast majority' claim. The ones I've worked for tended to take it seriously in so much as they did not have many or any layers of management with which to hide behind and dehumanise the lowly worker, and so you'd end up with a certain amount of care and respect being applied simply because they knew their workers as actual people. But I wouldnt want to stretch this point too far, since the extent to which they take anything really seriously tends to be limited by their strong sense of thinking they know best, being used to getting their own way and not having their judgement questioned. Issues of welfare and safety can be challenged by the 'make it up as you go along' mentality, a very personal approach towards judging risk, and in the worst cases an overwhelming ability to judge everyone else by their own standard of 'work ethic'. Such judgements are often quite hideous because they fail to appreciate that their own drive and tireless work is motivated by the fact that they get to reap the lions share of the rewards themselves. If they get drunk on their own success it can be even worse, especially if they get into the idea that they are creating the wealth themselves and that others should be thankful for having a job.

I wish I could see that tv program about the grotesque double-glazing company from coventry where the owners treated everyone like complete shit. I've little means of judging how many companies are like this since I've tried so hard to avoid working for such swine, but I doubt they were unique, especially around these parts.

'My child is part of this farce up there, but is so desperate for a job they have stuck it out. They have been on the phone in tears, saying they are soaking wet, bleeding feet and sleeping in a wet muddy field with barely any facilities. I have said for gods sake come home but if they did it would be the end of the course and no SIA badge, I feel murderous, they are still there with one more night to do. Lets not forget that we as parents had to provide the tent and all the camping gear, not cheap'

Inside post on the affair on Cif from a parent of one of the 'trainee's. some cracking comments there...

hope she or he contacts the BBC...

'My child is part of this farce up there, but is so desperate for a job they have stuck it out. They have been on the phone in tears, saying they are soaking wet, bleeding feet and sleeping in a wet muddy field with barely any facilities. I have said for gods sake come home but if they did it would be the end of the course and no SIA badge, I feel murderous, they are still there with one more night to do. Lets not forget that we as parents had to provide the tent and all the camping gear, not cheap'

Inside post on the affair on Cif from a parent of one of the 'trainee's. some cracking comments there...

wtf they had to pay for their own equipment fucking hell you can't make this shit up!

And the reason they do so is that they can't afford to keep replacing staff and spending a lot on recruitment. They do the right thing by their employees because they've worked out that it's cost effective in the long term.
Wtf? Seriously. Most people are not all out money grabbing cunts. 95% of businesses employ less than 10 people, and yer they should get the profit that's made for running the fucking thing, but it's a bit insulting to say they only care about their employees as a function of their bottom line :confused:

I've always worked for small businesses. I've no way to test the 'vast majority' claim. The ones I've worked for tended to take it seriously in so much as they did not have many or any layers of management with which to hide behind and dehumanise the lowly worker, and so you'd end up with a certain amount of care and respect being applied simply because they knew their workers as actual people. But I wouldnt want to stretch this point too far, since the extent to which they take anything really seriously tends to be limited by their strong sense of thinking they know best, being used to getting their own way and not having their judgement questioned. Issues of welfare and safety can be challenged by the 'make it up as you go along' mentality, a very personal approach towards judging risk, and in the worst cases an overwhelming ability to judge everyone else by their own standard of 'work ethic'. Such judgements are often quite hideous because they fail to appreciate that their own drive and tireless work is motivated by the fact that they get to reap the lions share of the rewards themselves. If they get drunk on their own success it can be even worse, especially if they get into the idea that they are creating the wealth themselves and that others should be thankful for having a job.

I wish I could see that tv program about the grotesque double-glazing company from coventry where the owners treated everyone like complete shit. I've little means of judging how many companies are like this since I've tried so hard to avoid working for such swine, but I doubt they were unique, especially around these parts.
Very astute.

Wtf? Seriously. Most people are not all out money grabbing cunts. 95% of businesses employ less than 10 people, and yer they should get the profit that's made for running the fucking thing, but it's a bit insulting to say they only care about their employees as a function of their bottom line :confused:
It costs about £1,000 to advertise for, interview, and recruit one employee. If that cost persuades small to medium employers to do the right thing by existing employees instead of taking the piss, I'm all for it. BTW I didn't say that all employers are heartless, exploitive, or amoral.

It costs about £1,000 to advertise for, interview, and recruit one employee. If that cost persuades small to medium employers to do the right thing by existing employees instead of taking the piss, I'm all for it. BTW I didn't say that all employers are heartless, exploitive, or amoral.
I think what is more persuasive is that if you manage to get someone who is good at their job and reliable they are worth their weight in gold. Small businesses know this and time wasters are easy to spot, not like in the public sector where both good and bad can get buried.

I think what is more persuasive is that if you manage to get someone who is good at their job and reliable they are worth their weight in gold. Small businesses know this and time wasters are easy to spot, not like in the public sector where both good and bad can get buried.

That would be true if it were not the case that a load of businesses are shit, and spend half their time shooting themselves in the foot.

You seem to be mostly talking about the good ones that survive without drowning in their own incompetence. And it depends on the sector too, there are certain kinds of business that can make more money by not valuing employees, by churning through people in an especially crude and exploitative way.

it doesn't really. Not for most jobs.

Agree, with caveats. The companies I've worked for, the smallest of which was just me and the owner, the largest of which got above 50 employees for a time, never spent that much on recruitment for the majority of positions. Often they spent the equivalent of one days effort.

Where the costs tended to add up to a more substantial amount was if the training took a lot of effort by multiple other staff, and if the new recruit then left before this cost could be compensated for by getting stuff out of them on the cheap or freeing up other staff to do more profitable work.

Anyway the last company I worked for for over a decade, went bust in December for several reasons, the most notable of which was the way one of the owners came to treat people. He started demanding respect he hadn't earnt, gave his staff none in return, made hundreds of stupid decisions, tried to convince himself that his employees weren't the most valuable company asset, and lost loads of key staff as a result. He was an extreme example because his desire to always get his way combined with a lax attitude towards money which saw him spend a small fortune paying staff off that he decided must go, since he couldn't be bothered to go through the proper procedures. His speeches about how everyone had to 'be onboard the bus' or else they should get off/will be forced off took on new meaning once it became clear that he had driven the bus off a cliff.

I guess the logical objective here is to make sure the companies suffer sufficient reputation damage to lose their Olympic deals.

It would be very interesting to know exactly how the necessity for parents of the unfortunate workfare slaves to buy camping kit in order to subsidise the profit margins of these odious parasites by avoiding accommodation costs was expressed, and by whom.

Back
Top Bottom