Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Workfare steward the Jubilee

Still nothing on the BBC website about this. Front page on the papers but invisible on the BBC.

Logged in to urban cos I was proper shocked at this. How the FUCK has it come to this? Unemployed people coerced into sleeping rough for £2.80 an hour, long shifts, no accommodation or food or protection or minimum wage. Women sleeping under a bridge and changing in the rain to steward an event costing millions for the fucking QUEEN at a time when so many people are unemployed.

Honestly I feel as outraged as a tabloid journalist on paedos. It just seems fuckin INCREDIBLE that you can read an article like that in 2012 yer :eek: What the fucks to do? :mad:

donate to Boycott Workfare

btw, i suspect many people will be shocked and offended by this not just urbanites, etc, the contrast with the expense and luxury of the jubilee, etc is just so stark...

At the very least they should have been treated well! Really should have been paid though no excuses for a company to treat its staff like that.

btw, Molly Prince contributed to a book about the nature of the 'security' industry, along with such notables as Dave Courtney...

can't find link yet..

Have you looked to see if it's on mumsnet yet? I'm sure it will be... then there's twitter, facebook, friends, relatives... news travels faster these days. Front page of the guardian means more will see it at the newsagents as well. I'm not saying this story is likely to go any further than the guardian, not unless there's some new revelation, but people will hear about it even if they don't read the guardian.

one of the interesting things about social media, is that in some ways it acts like the samizdat of the old Eastern Bloc countries(which in many ways England is mirroring)the 'people' are talking about one thing, while the elites are discussing another, and ignoring the former, at some point the contrast becomes too great and things change...

btw, it was discussed in some detail on the Sky News paper review..

Still nothing on the BBC website about this. Front page on the papers but invisible on the BBC.

Doesn't fit the 'we all love the queen' narrative though does it?

e2a: Christ the BBC site really is nauseating today. Not a whisper of any of this workfare stuff, even though it is far more relevant to the real lives of British people than some stupid old bitch on a boat waving.

First thing I thought when the 'news' came on this morning. ITV and the Beeb are devoting all day to the Jubilee with no mention of this, or indeed anything approaching criticism of the Jubilee celebrations. Sickening :(

The company said it had spent up to £220 on sponsoring security training licences for each participant and that boots and combat trousers cost more than £100.
Well that explains it!

Does it work like that in the armed forces? "Here's your jet, it cost 1 Billion and each time you take it out that costs £40K. Obviously we won't be paying you and if you can just sign here, that's your family indentured for the next 300 generations".

Where's Derf when you need him?

Fuckin Jubolympics! Why are we spending money on this shit?!

Why are these not proper jobs, paying proper wages for these people. It's us spending the money on these show off bollocks events, I guess we've been told they create jobs or improve trade and industry. But it's fucking crap. Instead of creating jobs people are working for less than the minimum wage and being handed out fuckin ponchos. So companies can make money.

Got it in one.

It's all so totally totally fucked it's like a joke yer. Completely transparent now, they don't give a fuck. But there's no alternative so what can you fuckin DO except join a union if your not self employed and try and support others? But it's like putting a plaster over a fuckin amputation. I hate em all so much but it's so fuckin pointless trying to do anything cos it's all so intricate.

You do what you can. Join a union; cunt off your MP about it; spread the word. Anything. And remember: The most intricate machines are the ones that are easiest to break.

Sia bit of paper costs about a £100 pretty fucking worthless qual but you need it to be a secuirty guard :(
While decent boots could cost over a £ 100 no doubt those the stewards got werent.

Most private secuirty firmsare mickey mouse closeprotectionuk add a walter mitty Name as well.

Although they do add covert shopping trips to their services :)

Everyone involved in this busing project should go to their doctors when they get home and check that they are alright following being forced to sleep rough under London Bridge.
I wonder what the sanitary arrangements were?

There aren't any, unless you count using the Thames as a latrine. There's public bogs, but they're locked at night.

Even if you generously cut this company some slack for good old-fashioned management incompetence, it's impossible to avoid the fact that they've treated these people inhumanly. How could they possibly bus a bunch of people into central London on one of the busiest weekends of the year and not provide a bed for the night?

Because that would have affected their bottom line.
TBF, I can't even put a gloss of incompetence on this. They got the logistics (as far as they existed) right, so they're very obviously not incompetent, but rather they're a bunch of ravening capitalistic dickwads who don't give a toss who they exploit and how, as long as they get weighed out their wedge.

Because that would have affected their bottom line.
TBF, I can't even put a gloss of incompetence on this. They got the logistics (as far as they existed) right, so they're very obviously not incompetent, but rather they're a bunch of ravening capitalistic dickwads who don't give a toss who they exploit and how, as long as they get weighed out their wedge.

I find it hard to completely exonerate whoever it was who commissioned them!

WTF is that it???

About 20 secs on world at one where they said the 'company had been criticised' and 'people had been expected to camp out' not that they had actually done so and that the 'company had apologised' no mention of the company name. This preceded by lots of gushing sycophancy.

One minuite claiming they were volunteers :(
Bbc let the fuckers off the hook.
Why the fuck would you get stewards from bristol for an event in london?

One minuite claiming they were volunteers :(
Bbc let the fuckers off the hook.
Why the fuck would you get stewards from bristol for an event in london?

Because no self-respecting Londoner would do it, but instead assert that they're staunch republicans of the violent type? :p

Back
Top Bottom