Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Will you continue using a face mask after 19 July?

Will you continue to use a mask in certain situations after 19 July?

• Yes

Votes: 213 88.4%
  • No

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • Maybe

Votes: 11 4.6%
  • Don't know

Votes: 3 1.2%

• Total voters
Like a few other posters, I got some new FFP2 masks today. I use them for popping into the supermarket - quickly - I find those masks too uncomfortable to wear for more than about 5 minutes. I'm a live-in carer for my mum - although she's been double jabbed, I'm not sure she would survive infection. Of course, everyone's got to go sometime, but covid doesn't sound like a great way to go, so I would hate to give it to her.

I think that might have been true in the past. The government's new policy is so enormously risky (remember Johnson is a risk-taker who is promoted every time his risks don't pay off) that I think the picture has changed and it is important to be more cautious than government advice. Your stance is a bit puzzling tbh. Do you believe the government on everything? Have you spent your life avoiding the demon weed, for example, for fear you will fall into a life of vice and degradation?

yes that's right, generally following the govt's scientific advisors in a once-in-a-lifetime global pandemic = I believe everything the govt has ever said.

I bought some FFP2 masks in boots yesterday. 5 for £9.99, are there any cheaper ones around.
That is reasonable. Saw them in a pharmacy today for a better price:

The 100% masks are the FFP3 which are a tad more expensive :

Don't know if any other Scottish posters have mentioned it, but social distancing and mask wearing look here to stay in Scotland for a long while. Personally, I don't object to mask wearing in the supermarket or on public transport, but I'm not sure how gigs, clubs and, to some extent, pubs are meant to work with that.

Maybe they heard about 20,000 deaths being considered a good result that we might expect for a bad flu season and decided maybe we shouldnt settle for that with non-covid diseases either.
Flu is credited with killing less than a thousand most years :thumbs: so they are a bit desperate

Don't know if any other Scottish posters have mentioned it, but social distancing and mask wearing look here to stay in Scotland for a long while. Personally, I don't object to mask wearing in the supermarket or on public transport, but I'm not sure how gigs, clubs and, to some extent, pubs are meant to work with that.

Looks like a mask might only be required on public transport and in shops.

Flu is credited with killing less than a thousand most years :thumbs: so they are a bit desperate

Isnt that because many vulnerable people get vaccinated every year?

I recall hearing that they have not managed to figure which particular flu strain to expect this coming autumn..Normally they have an idea but this past year and last year, mask wearing prevented flu from taking off.

Have they figured out which flu jab to give come November? I dont think they have...and that combined with possible further variants could cause a very real crisis.... 😳

Thing is, anyone running a business can still presumably make their own rules. So there are going to be scenes at cinemas, leisure centres and such like when people are asked to put on a mask and start yelling at the staff accusing them of high treason and something to do with human rights.
There might be a bit of “mask only” businesses for a short time but I doubt it will last for any length of time. I for example won’t support a business that insists I wear a mask after 19th.

Isnt that because many vulnerable people get vaccinated every year?

I recall hearing that they have not managed to figure which particular flu strain to expect this coming autumn..Normally they have an idea but this past year and last year, mask wearing prevented flu from taking off.

Have they figured out which flu jab to give come November? I dont think they have...and that combined with possible further variants could cause a very real crisis.... 😳
There is a concern here.

Due to lockdown, masks and distancing the immune systems are not at their best. I have not had a cold or flu since this shit began.

No I dont know where you got that from and I wouldnt make that claim at all. Although if you pick a couple of really good recent years or go by a narrow measure, perhaps you could find such low figures.

There are several different ways it is credited for deaths, since the authorities know that they cannot rely on death certificate reporting on its own, and resort to algorithms to establish estimates. Note that the example I've picked is only for England, not whole of the UK figures.

Screenshot 2021-07-08 at 19.11.jpg

Those are odd polling numbers - suspect they reflect as much some people's inability to imagine things being different as anything else.

There is a concern here.

Due to lockdown, masks and distancing the immune systems are not at their best. I have not had a cold or flu since this shit began.

Same here .. and my last blood tests showed my white cell count was very low plus nutrophils were low.
Waiting for Occ Health to decide whether I am still very high risk as their own covid toolkit says I am still very high risk but they are shilly shallying.
I suspect that the Dept of education will try to force me back. And they will try to reclassify me. I don't see how but they're delaying a lot in their decision making. Not sure why.
It's very unsettling.

Soz.
I am a bit pissed off .

That is reasonable. Saw them in a pharmacy today for a better price:

The 100% masks are the FFP3 which are a tad more expensive :

I thought the exhalation valves rather negated 50% of the purpose of wearing a mask?

From a virologist

Such low numbers have no credibility at all.

Sadly one of the reasons authorities cannot rely on death certificates to indicate flu mortality is because all sorts of strange attitudes exist within people working within that system, which when coupled with a lack of routine diagnostic testing for all ends up leading to a lot of vague death certificates that fail to give flu the attribution it deserves.

Its also entirely possible that we fail to attribute some of the deaths to other seasonal respiratory infections, and rather than being correctly estimated via other general mortality data and algorithms, some of those get lumped in with the flu estimates instead.

Either way, despite not having a brilliant view of every deaths factors, enough winter data and analysis is available with which to judge seasonal respiratory disease burden reasonably well. These things arent subtle phenomenon most seasons, they rather stick out.

Back
Top Bottom