Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Why the lib-dems are shit

1931-1945 kind of. Although from 1931-1940 it was only a minority of Labour MPs (led by the previous PM Ramsay Macdonald) who supported the government and split to form National Labour.

Not really the point, though, is it? The point is that Clegg has made it clear who he'll deal with. And that if Labour's not in front, it'll be the Tories.

Thinking about this, he has to deal with the Tories really in this case. He is campaigning on a platform of PR, he can't then get into bed with the least popular party to form a government.

Peter Kellner had a piece in the Times yesterday which received baffling few comments, that showed how the lib-dem surge has done sever damage to the tories in those lab/con marginals, reducing the swing to 4% in line with the national swing which, if carried though to the election would make it impossible for the tories to form a govt on their own.
analysis

A sample of 2, 200 across how many seats? Doesn't sound awfully thorough.

Not really the point, though, is it? The point is that Clegg has made it clear who he'll deal with. And that if Labour's not in front, it'll be the Tories.

I probably misunderstood but he said he wouldn't support labour if they came third but didn't exclude supporting them if they came 2nd? Isn't there something about not supporting Brown in any scenario? All of which goes against the 'not discussing the outcome' stance of last week?

Thinking about this, he has to deal with the Tories really in this case. He is campaigning on a platform of PR, he can't then get into bed with the least popular party to form a government.
Why not? That's exactly what the sort of coalition building that PR brings is all about. It would be the perfect example of how it would work.

I probably misunderstood but he said he wouldn't support labour if they came third but didn't exclude supporting them if they came 2nd? Isn't there something about not supporting Brown in any scenario? All of which goes against the 'not discussing the outcome' stance of last week?

He contradicted himself numerous times in just that 5 minute snippet on possible outcomes. Today he was asked what if labour were 2nd in the popular vote but the largest party and he refused to answer on the grounds that speculation was not helpful. The nerve of the bloke.

Paddy Pantsdown said it would be unthinkable but I reckon clegg would just be all 'fuck you old man, I'm the man in the driving seat' if it came to it.

No he doesn't. He could chose to do no deal at all. Theoretically, he could create a coalition of all the minor parties, if their votes were enough to give a parliamentary majority. A 'rainbow coalition': it has happened in other countries, even if it won't happen here this time.

He's clearly making the rules up as he goes along, mind. He says he won't prop up Labour if they're in front in seats but third in votes. Someone quite correctly pointed out that might mean dealing with them if they're second in votes. And it seems his party fixers have been briefing the media that he "only really meant if Brown was still leader". So it's OK to prop up a party that's third in votes if it has a new leader.

so less than 20 per constituency? And yougov seem more than usually reliant on things like internet polling which are less reliable. And there won't be a uniform swing across those 115 seats - I think we might be looking at a sharp divide between the North and the Midlands/South Divide.

FWIW I think Labour are being excessively complacent about what this could mean for them - strong LD showing might peel them down to the core, and the Tory core is much stronger.

Paddy Pantsdown said it would be unthinkable but I reckon clegg would just be all 'fuck you old man, I'm the man in the driving seat' if it came to it.

he's still got to be careful that the steering wheel doesn't just come off in his hands whilst the car splits down the middle.

FWIW I think Labour are being excessively complacent about what this could mean for them - strong LD showing might peel them down to the core, and the Tory core is much stronger.
Third party votes help Labour. A strong vote for the Lib Dems is their best hope of getting the most seats, hence all the recent fuss over the possibility that Labour will come third in votes and first in seats. That is only possible if the Lib Dems do very well.

so less than 20 per constituency? And yougov seem more than usually reliant on things like internet polling which are less reliable. And there won't be a uniform swing across those 115 seats - I think we might be looking at a sharp divide between the North and the Midlands/South Divide.

Well it's an improvemnt on the 13 per seat that the previous marginal polls were based on...still a lot of gap filling in being done though. I'm sure Then again, this is the same basis as for the national polls as well.

Which is why I want them to get loads of votes. Aren't you all just slightly bored of the usual election results? Don't you crave something a bit more interesting?
You aren't going to get anything more interesting. You're going to get a LibLab pact or a LibCon pact. Or a minority government.

I dealt with this idiocy earlier in the day. 3 times now in a handful of days that i've had to point out to you that you your mad idea that i support a revolution or nothing position is nonsense - i'm sure you'll do it again. Bordering on dishonesty though.

Why i'm being characterised as having an outside and against the elephant position i don't know - my position is that we're inevitably inside and against the elephant.

Back
Top Bottom