Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

why the bbc is going down the pan

That's hardly the fault of the BBC though, is it? I'm pretty sure you'd get comments like that on every major news site. Reactionaries gonna react.
Not directly, but then they don't open all stories up to comments, and this particular topic isn't one that's really subjectively judged.

Contrast with the wall-to-wall royal shit, over the years and two weeks ago, when they open it up to BTL comment.

Not directly, but then they don't open all stories up to comments, and this particular topic isn't one that's really subjectively judged.

Contrast with the wall-to-wall royal shit, over the years and two weeks ago, when they open it up to BTL comment.

Do the BBC have an explicit policy as to which stories they will open up to comment? I can't say I've noticed any pattern myself. I've seen plenty of climate change stories without a comment section.

Do the BBC have an explicit policy as to which stories they will open up to comment? I can't say I've noticed any pattern myself. I've seen plenty of climate change stories without a comment section.
I don't know, although I notice that foreign affairs not linked to the UK don't tend to get comments, and as I said royal stuff doesn't get it either.

Very generally speaking, media websites would be unlikely to open comments under stories about ongoing court cases, due to the issue being sub judice.

Some stories are sensitive/contentious and they won't want to run the risk that someone might post something libellous about the subject(s) of the story or third parties.

They might either not allow comments at all, or comments might be pre-moderated before publication, or they might keep a very close eye on the thread and actively moderate it rather than waiting for comments to be reported, or they might open and close comments, eg if they don't have 24/7 moderators they might close comments at night.

Each organisation will have policies about what they do and don't allow in general terms, but when it comes down to it, a lot of moderation can be quite subjective.

I used to set debates and moderate comments for the website of a major international news broadcaster (not the BBC).

Listened to Woman's hour today. Were discussing the covid termination and subsequent trial.

Personal view...as horrendous as the case was, the exceptional circumstances of lockdown provided sufficient mitigation to keep sentence within suspended limits.

Not a fan of the pro life lot, however it was clear from how their spokesman was handled neither were the Woman's hour team. To the point that it added to the pro life lady case

What the hell? Wash your stinky rags you grotty bastards. You're not "saving the planet", you're just being filthy. If you're concerned about microfibre pollution, then avoid shitty artificial textiles like nylon and polyester.

What the hell? Wash your stinky rags you grotty bastards. You're not "saving the planet", you're just being filthy. If you're concerned about microfibre pollution, then avoid shitty artificial textiles like nylon and polyester.
Guardian have missed a trick in not publishing that one, TBH

if they wanted to be really old school and enviro they could just wash the clothes in piss. Its been done in history as late as the 19th

if they wanted to be really old school and enviro they could just wash the clothes in piss. Its been done in history as late as the 19th
I'm sure it was also a useful chemical for leather production, so if you didn't even 'have a pot to piss in' there's no way you could sell it and exploit your own weak bladder😐

Gorka, as I'm sure you're well aware is very right wing to put it mildly so this kinda places the BBC as right wing echo chamber. It's bad enough that they wheel out Farage at every available opportunity but this is just really shabby.

Newsnight just a had a whole feature about the fact that it's raining. No more specific angle. Just going to the seaside and talking to tourists about the fact that it's a rainy day. In Britain. FFS.
Newsnight's weather coverage used to be a lot better:

Who on earth at Radio 4 thought it would be worthwhile getting Sebastian Gorka on to talk about Trump this morning? He was practically feral.

I think they're a mixture of both sides, trying to stir controversy and lastly Gorka is British and lived here before he decided to go to the US and then became a Trumpist

Garb is not necessarily a slang word (though it's sometimes used in this way). More formal use of "garb" describes a distinctive style of dress or special clothing. So in this instance, the BBC is correct.

Garb is not necessarily a slang word (though it's sometimes used in this way). More formal use of "garb" describes a distinctive style of dress or special clothing. So in this instance, the BBC is correct.
Look forwards to the kings garb being commented upon during the next funeral.

Look forwards to the kings garb being commented upon during the next funeral.
rocking the blinged out wooden box look

searching the news site for "garb" does come up with some hits. not many

Slightly misleading title here:

There's an attempt to be clearer right at the very end of the article but just to make it transparent, it's claimed that due to four people being charged, there are no longer any unsolved murders in Scotland, whereas what is actually meant is since the amalgamation of the eight police forces into the single Police Scotland force, there are no unsolved murders.

Anyone with even a passing interest in unsolved murders will tell you that there are a significant number of unsolved murders (mainly of women)
In Scotland. Even recently the force has been making press releases about various murders still unsolved. Giving the impression that they've all been solved is wrong and unethical.

Back
Top Bottom