Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

why the bbc is going down the pan

It appears that the BBC were "not paying attention" last month either:

BBC issues grovelling apology for mistaking Viola Davis for Beyoncé in Grammys blunder

67412073-11722191-image-m-21_1675769809224.jpg
67412079-11722191-image-m-23_1675769825573.jpg

"They all look the same" to the BBC?
She looks nothing like beyonce, I sure they lovey good looking but they dont look the same BBC

Leaks:

The email, sent to correspondents at just after 6pm on the day lockdown was announced, was labelled: IMPORTANT ADVISORY – language re broadcast. “Hi all – D st are asking if we can avoid the word ‘lockdown’. I’m told the message will be that they want to keep pushing people to stay at home but they are not talking about enforcement at the moment,” it said.

Reporters argued unsuccessfully against the advice and thus the website and broadcasts on that day spoke about “curbs” and “restrictions” on daily life, while other outlets, such as rival broadcaster Sky, were referring to “lockdown”.

In another WhatsApp message from Sunday 24 October 2021, a senior editor asked journalists to make coverage more critical of Labour after a complaint from No 10.

The message reads: “D St complaining that we’re not reflecting Labour’s mess of plan b online. ie Ashworth said it earlier this week, then reversed. Can we turn up the scepticism a bit on this?”

A third leaked message from 2022 shows a senior editor circulated a message to BBC political journalists from the then No 10 director of communications the day after a speech by Johnson in which he compared Ukraine’s struggle against Russia to the British people’s vote for Brexit.

The message from the No 10 aide included a tweet from the Ukrainian embassy and read: “Hi, worth sharing with any reporter misinterpreting the PM’s speech. I travelled home with the ambassador. He most definitely did NOT think the PM was equating Brexit with Ukraine. He heard him say v clearly nothing like this since the 1940s.”

One insider said circulating the message had a chilling effect on how the BBC covered the story.

Another leaked message showed the BBC shying away from a story that was potentially damaging to the then prime minister, although there is no evidence of any pressure from Downing Street.

In an email, a senior editor congratulated correspondents for staying away from the subject of Jennifer Arcuri after the American tech entrepreneur gave an interview to a newspaper in October 2020 appearing to confirm an affair with Johnson, following allegations that he used his position as London mayor to secure favourable treatment for her.

The message to political correspondents from 17 October 2020 said: “[XXX] did a wonderful job last night keeping us away from this story. I’d like to continue that distance. It’s not a story we should be doing at this stage. Please call me if you’re asked to.”

I am frequently reminded of this bit from the wikipedia entry for the BBC, whenever they wank on about their sacred impartiality mission ( BBC - Wikipedia ):

While the BBC tends to characterise its coverage of the general strike by emphasising the positive impression created by its balanced coverage of the views of government and strikers, Jean Seaton, Professor of Media History and the Official BBC Historian, has characterised the episode as the invention of "modern propaganda in its British form".[26] Reith argued that trust gained by 'authentic impartial news' could then be used. Impartial news was not necessarily an end in itself.

Shit propaganda.

Meanwhile, the tenor of public debate was steadily debased.

The left tabled literally thousands of amendments to the pensions bill, making its conventional passage impossible. Opponents described as "brutal" and "inhuman" a reform which in other countries would have seemed perfectly anodyne.

With scenes of looting and urban violence, hills of rotting rubbish on the streets of Paris and other French cities, and the promise of more crippling strikes to come, this is the unedifying atmosphere as the country enters the next crucial phase in the crisis.

From French pension reforms: Is Macron's government doomed by crisis?

I used to use the BBC weather app but recently they are forcing you to register for it. This means that they can start data harvesting from the app and sell it to advertisers.

They are even now advertising the app between shows for increased profits.

Pretty darn cheeky if you ask me.

Not sure if I can disagree with Twitter on this

Stopped clocks etc

One thing whether it's accurate not, but it seems to be a specific thing targeting the BBC and NPR, presumably because communism. There are hundreds of public and state broadcasters around the world, but there's no label on Al Jaz, CBC, France Televisions etc etc (so far).

Last edited:
One thing whether it's accurate not, but it seems to be a specific thing targeting the BBC and NPR, presumably because communism. There are hundreds of public and state broadcasters around the world, but there's no label on Al Jaz, CBC, France Televisions etc etc (so far).
Ah ok that puts a different complexion on it

The wording of this - "plays the disability card" ffs.

AI chatbot plays disability card

They're used a seriously horrible and harmful trope that the worst kind of people use in a section that's supposed to be about disability and disabled people. Genuinely disgusting imo.

(Apols: the headline went red when I took a screenshot, couldn't seem to avoid that.)

If they thought the could schmooze him to get rid of the 'government funded' label on their twitter account methinks it's backfired on both parties.

I used to use the BBC weather app but recently they are forcing you to register for it. This means that they can start data harvesting from the app and sell it to advertisers.

They are even now advertising the app between shows for increased profits.

Pretty darn cheeky if you ask me.

They cannot do this (sell data), and there is no profit.

BBC forgets to announce Opposites Day and causes confusion over use of the word “unmissable”.

Cockroach invades Met Ball plus more unmissable moments

AKA “There was an insect near some celebrities (many of whom you haven’t heard of)”.

Back
Top Bottom