Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Why do some feminists hate transgender people?

This allowing some of natural puberty to occur to "allow [potential TG children/teens] the chance to explore who they really are" sounds a bit reminiscent of when gay people were strongarmed into heterosexual marriages in order to do similar.

It's all well and good where you dont have a child who is horrified by the process. Not so much otherwise, especially if they are unlucky enough to be going through it early.

I'm not sure the idea of gender as a spectrum is helpful either, tbh. Biological sex is (mostly) binary, and gender's binary nature is a direct reflection of that. Surely what is needed is to strip away many or most of the characteristics that get tacked on to gender - you can be a girl and also be x,y,z; you can be a boy and also be a,b,c. It doesn't make you any less of a male or less of a female to be like that. Not saying 'that's your feminine/masculine side' but rather refusing to genderise those particular characteristics in the first place.

I'm not sure the idea of gender as a spectrum is helpful either, tbh. Biological sex is (mostly) binary, and gender's binary nature is a direct reflection of that. Surely what is needed is to strip away many or most of the characteristics that get tacked on to gender - you can be a girl and also be x,y,z; you can be a boy and also be a,b,c. It doesn't make you any less of a male or less of a female to be like that. Not saying 'that's your feminine/masculine side' but rather refusing to genderise those particular characteristics in the first place.
Ditch gender entirely?

I'm not sure what you mean.

she presumably supports hormone blockers because she makes referrals for them, she is advising caution, in line with current medical practice, and recognising that there can be a diversity of outcomes for children who display symptoms of gender dysphoria, as there can for adults.

As has been said many times already, gender roles are not the same as gender identity.

I'm sure it's very easy for you, a cis person, to say if only we didn't have these pesky gender roles then trans and other non-binary people wouldn't feel the need to identify differently to their body. Being trans is by orders of magnitude very different to that.

By golly gosh, there are trans men who like make up!!!

There are 'effeminate' gay trans men.

Heavens to Betsy, there are trans women who shave their heads!!!

There are butch lesbian trans women.

*clutches at pearls*

how about listening to the parents, children and advocacy groups in that link you posted for a start. or some of the people on here who have described their own experiences

you see the problem, you say you don't know anything about this but you say you share the concerns of an expert who actually disagrees with you. its almost as if you had another agenda.

you say that you are not sure that hormone blockers should be proscribed ever. she supports using hormone blockers.
She prescribes puberty blockers, but says they are not completely reversible and suggests children need to experience some of their natural puberty. Maybe I am more cautious about their use than she is, I don't know. I think there are unanswered questions about the long term effects of delaying puberty.

As has been said many times already, gender roles are not the same as gender identity.

I'm sure it's very easy for you, a cis person, to say if only we didn't have these pesky gender roles then trans and other non-binary people wouldn't feel the need to identify differently to their body. Being trans is by orders of magnitude very different to that.

*clutches at pearls*

I find it amazing VP that this has to be repeatedly said, but clearly it does.

And its a subject where people will make grand statements that they don't agree with treatment, or misrepresent how that's made, yet will also acknowledge they don't know much about it. And then in the face of people trying to educate/explain, do the fingers-in-ears routine. You see it playing out on comment pieces online, blogs, all the time.

And smokedout is right, a lot of this stuff is precisely harping back to the attitudes to especially young kids coming out as gay/lesbian/bi. 'How can they possibly know?' shriek the straight adults who have never questioned their heterosexuality! 'They might grow out of it?'.

In my experience, those with the worst gender identity disorder never 'grow out of it' - even if they're been able to continue their lives without any kind of transition. I have a friend who's just come out to me. Mid 30s now, but the familiar story - *knew* they were different somehow around 4/5, but couldn't articulate what/why, other than a deep incongruence with their body and confusion over gender. And feeling completely trapped in those feelings because of not being able to share them with parents, peers growing up for fear of ridicule, rejection, being told they were mad. So, it gets buried for years and years until it affects their health again later in life.

And whilst I share reservations about any increasing (over) diagnosis of kids at a young age being trans, although puberty blockers around 10+ seems a reasonable path of treatment for those that show the most extreme sense of dysphoria to at least buy them some time whilst the effects aren't reversible and they can explore carefully with psychiatrists and those around them how they feel and identify. There really is no 'railroading' of trans people into it - its usually trans people struggling to convince others of who they are and they need help/treatment.

I do think that the push amongst trans activism towards identifying 'brain sex' as a be-all for explaining trans existence, whilst understandable, is probably the wrong route to be going down in trans equality (though, I'm not discounting there could be a complex set of variables that one day might, but might never proved). For the same reason that gay/lesbian people have had to fight for their own rights regardless of whether there's a 'gay gene', etc. We had years of the 'can we prove gay people are born like it, or is it nurture' and it merely hurt gay people and didn't progress liberation. Most people now accept that gay people know that they're gay, without asking them to 'prove it' scientifically, or that perhaps they can be 'straightened out' when they're a kid with reinforcement of rigid gender roles, etc.

I don't know why I'm posting again on a thread I said I wouldn't, but I just despair at the same old arguments going circular. And whilst I wished Stella would/could also offer her personal experiences/insight into this more as I think cis people can learn from it, I understand why she soon gets upset by it all and has to give such threads a wide berth again. Trans people are subject to questioning of their existence and experiences like no other group right now, and everywhere - on the street, in the workplace, receiving end of hostilities on the internet all the time, even having to 'convince' gender clinic psychiatrists (almost always cis).

And finally, that a majority of cis and straight people in this World can still spend so much time pulling apart the minority of trans people whilst simply asserting 'let's get rid of gender and that'll do it' whilst upholding gender and doing little to smash it (at least the minority of lesbian rad fem seperatists are not hypocrites in this regard) is just privileged of the highest order. In the same way that most right-thinking people wouldn't do with sexuality these days. And its worse when its those that otherwise say they are generally supportive of trans people.

Last edited:
And finally, that a majority of cis and straight people in this World can still spend so much time pulling apart the minority of trans people whilst simply asserting 'let's get rid of gender and that'll do it' whilst upholding gender and doing little to smash it (at least the minority of lesbian rad fem seperatists are not hypocrites in this regard) is just privileged of the highest order. In the same way that most right-thinking people wouldn't do with sexuality these days. And its worse when its those that otherwise say they are generally supportive of trans people.

We certainly seem to have entered a phase in recent years where weasel words and slippery stances have taken the place of total ignorance and 'jokes'. In some ways I find it harder to deal with, there are a few people in this thread who I'd like to give a hearty fuck off to but I expect it would only lead to more sly and disingenuous 'concerns' being expressed.

So, it gets buried for years and years until it affects their health again later in life.

or not, as the case may be

A survey found that 48% of trans people under 26 said they had attempted suicide, and 30% said they had done so in the past year, while 59% said they had at least considered doing so.

By comparison, about 6% of all 16- to 24-year-olds say they have attempted suicide, according to the Adult Psychiatry Morbidity Survey.

source (late 2014)

*clutches at pearls*

That particular post was a response to a specific thing to do with the idea of a gender spectrum, not specifically to do with being trans.

And it's not all so easy for me as cis. That's kind of the point.

In my experience, those with the worst gender identity disorder never 'grow out of it' - even if they're been able to continue their lives without any kind of transition. I have a friend who's just come out to me. Mid 30s now, but the familiar story - *knew* they were different somehow around 4/5, but couldn't articulate what/why, other than a deep incongruence with their body and confusion over gender. And feeling completely trapped in those feelings because of not being able to share them with parents, peers growing up for fear of ridicule, rejection, being told they were mad. So, it gets buried for years and years until it affects their health again later in life.

My own experience of knowing who I was since age 6 - and even trying to tell people at one point but learning very quickly that in a working class family in the 70s this was a deep taboo. so I buried it. not very successfully because I couldn't control "cross dressing" urges right through my child hood, from when the opportunity first arose at age ten into adulthood.

consequently I began to think of myself as weird or so damaged I couldn't possibly open myself up to anyone ever again. From that came low self esteem and self hatred. when I was sent to see a psychiatrist at age 17 I refused to talk to him about being trans and just made other stuff up to throw him off the scent.

It wasn't just cross dressing though, it was a complete disconnect with other boys my age. I also supressed my sexuality for similar reasons. I just went into complete denial.

This more or less went on until I was 45, give or take a few breakthroughs I made along the way - or short periods in my life where I rediscovered myself and began to express myself.

By age 45 I'd had two failed marriages and many hopeless relationships with women where I tried so hard to be a man and failed. I was on my own, had lost almost everything, suffering from PTSD, felt hopeless, often suicidal, was waking up crying in my sleep, and so depressed I often couldn't get out of bed, and I had nothing in my life apart from a job, at which I was failing badly. then I transitioned and life started again. If only I could have been accepted as trans from childhood.

I do think that the push amongst trans activism towards identifying 'brain sex' as a be-all for explaining trans existence, whilst understandable, is probably the wrong route to be going down in trans equality (though, I'm not discounting there could be a complex set of variables that one day might, but might never proved). For the same reason that gay/lesbian people have had to fight for their own rights regardless of whether there's a 'gay gene', etc. We had years of the 'can we prove gay people are born like it, or is it nurture' and it merely hurt gay people and didn't progress liberation. Most people now accept that gay people know that they're gay, without asking them to 'prove it' scientifically, or that perhaps they can be 'straightened out' when they're a kid with reinforcement of rigid gender roles, etc.

This is a debate I generally abstain from. I think the evidence is definitely there but its not exactly conclusive, and yes, as you say, it shouldn't matter!! And it probably won't change the minds of our worst enemies.

And whilst I wished Stella would/could also offer her personal experiences/insight into this more as I think cis people can learn from it, I understand why she soon gets upset by it all and has to give such threads a wide berth again. Trans people are subject to questioning of their existence and experiences like no other group right now, and everywhere - on the street, in the workplace, receiving end of hostilities on the internet all the time, even having to 'convince' gender clinic psychiatrists (almost always cis).

I try. I'm slowly getting to the position where I can begin to engage more now. What I do though is put out stuff on Twitter both about my experiences and those of other trans people. With 20k followers I hope I'm making an impact and people are understanding trans people more. I've had some good feedback, and I have been targeted by Cathy Brennan so I obviously made some waves somewhere.

all of that is irrelevent. I always admired masculine women. If I'd have been cis I'd have tried to be like them. As time goes on I am gravitating towards being less feminine. On Twitter I see many trans women who present as masculine female. If I tried it I'd be back into a box marked effeminate men before you know it! Plus I work in a place with a dress code so I try to fit in.
What's more important to me is to be identified as a woman, regardless of how i express my gender - that is almost irrelevent to me at this stage. if I ever I get to where I want to be I will be dressed like Chrissie Hynde or Patti smith (for example) but I will be a gender non-conforming woman, not a man.

Back
Top Bottom