Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Why anarchism as a method of action doesn't work.

TremulousTetra

prismatic universe
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/three-held-bank-occupied-020709883.html

When you look at these comrades, you can have nothing but admiration for the selfless and frankly heroic acts of these individuals. For their bravery and commitment to the cause you can do nothing but salute them.

In my opinion this kind of activity is fine, if it is part of a mass movement who can make the state think twice about taking socks actions against individuals [ie those trade unionists the 1970s who were released from prison on spurious grounds when it became evident there would be mass strikes if they remained in prison.] But in the real world nobody can sustain this kind of activity. Who can afford to be constantly arrested, fined, and imprisoned?

So while I salute these people, I also find this methodology a profligate waste of fine activists.

Yeh I agree. I think there are a lot of people, especially when they are younger, are very impatient and want things to happen NOW. They are usually good people and have their heart in the right place but their passion and motivation needs channeling. I think they are seen by most working class people as just 'activists' that are operating in a alien sphere.

When you look at these comrades, you can have nothing but admiration for the selfless and frankly heroic acts of these individuals. For their bravery and commitment to the cause you can do nothing but salute them.

In my opinion this kind of activity is fine, if it is part of a mass movement who can make the state think twice about taking socks actions against individuals [ie those trade unionists the 1970s who were released from prison on spurious grounds when it became evident there would be mass strikes if they remained in prison.] But in the real world nobody can sustain this kind of activity. Who can afford to be constantly arrested, fined, and imprisoned?

So while I salute these people, I also find this methodology a profligate waste of fine activists.
but where does it say they were anarchists? you made that bit up, rmp3.

thread fail - again

Of course the myriad sects of the Leninist left have never been politically irrelevant glee clubs whose members burn themselves out engaging in irrelevant ineffective activism. Whereas no anarchists have ever been contributed to effective mass actions on the basis of class struggle. Fact!

One of the strengths of many 'Anarchists'* over the sort of politics you represent is their ability to apply this sort of critique to their own practice in periods when I can only imagine the likes of you indulging in self congratulatory, delusional rhetoric.

Take this text published in the wake of June the 18th, one of the high water marks of 'Anarchist' activism in recent decades:

http://www.eco-action.org/dod/no9/activism.htm

* The inverted commas are an attempt to acknowledge that a lot of class struggle Anarchists have been critical of the sort of activism you are trying to critique for a long time. Also a lot of people who think that the activist scene shouldn't be completely dismissed as irrelevant and might be worth some (critical) engagement don't necessarily think of themselves as Anarchists or use theoretical tools from an Anarchist tradition to make sense of their politics.

Shame no anarchist ever suggested any other course of action over the past century or so bar squatting the odd empty bank. Kropotkin's "The Conquest of Bread-heads" has a lot to answer for.

Where did you learn they were anarchists?

Just remind me again, you're a member of the SWP aren't you?

What is a 'sock action'? I have an image of a long sock with a snooker ball in it used as a weapon.

How is this anarchism?

I always got the impression that anarchism was a social scene rather than a method of action.

If you want to see what true anarchism in action is- look at aragon and to a lesser extent catalunia during the spanish civil. Libertarian Communism is what they called it, thats anarchism as a method of action.

If you want to see what true anarchism in action is- look at aragon and to a lesser extent catalunia during the spanish civil. Libertarian Communism is what they called it, thats anarchism as a method of action.

Not sure that we can learn a lot from what happened in a largely rural economy with one of the lowest GDPs in the industrialised world nearly 80 years ago.

Yeh I agree. I think there are a lot of people, especially when they are younger, are very impatient and want things to happen NOW. They are usually good people and have their heart in the right place but their passion and motivation needs channeling. I think they are seen by most working class people as just 'activists' that are operating in a alien sphere.

btw, I was agreeing about just the individuals. The title of this thread is a load of bollox

ResistanceMP3 said:

How would you rather see those resources deployed?

Do you think there's any place for a diversity of tactics i.e. a multi-faceted approach?

And, in any event, how do you know these people are anarchists?

Back
Top Bottom