Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Herbsman. said:
later on, it will be mushroom something or other. i've bought far too many mushrooms (2lb :eek: ) it's easy to use them all up by making a curry but I'm really feeling this italiano foodio thingumy at the moment, so i might just make a mushroom pizza, and then, erm, some sort of mushroom and tomato and olive salad or something ... :confused: help

I love making these:

Breaded mushrooms with tartar sauce:

Take a bag of mushrooms and wash.

Put said mushrroms into flour.

Then put said mushrooms into egg, and coat well.

Then put said mushrooms into bradcrumbs.

Fry until golden.

Eat with rice and tartar sauce.

madzone said:
Don't judge the dish by its crap description :)

Sorry... just the mashed banana - I can't imagine mashed banana in a savoury dish... mind you probably because I'm not that keen on bananas generally. I only eat them when they're pretty much green. No offence :)

lillia said:
Sorry... just the mashed banana - I can't imagine mashed banana in a savoury dish... mind you probably because I'm not that keen on bananas generally. I only eat them when they're pretty much green. No offence :)
You never had banana curry? My word you haven't lived :)

cheapo instant noodles from the chinese supermarket. but to posh it up we're sticking an egg in each bowl - that's authentic chinese tucker (well, that's what my chinese step-mum-in-law does, anyway) :cool:

Dubversion said:
pie face is knocking up a lovely looking squash, spinach and chick pea curry

That sounds lovely... :)

Just chucked some lemon/garlic/herby stuffed chicken breasts in the oven and will make a massive greek salad with loads of garlic stuffed olives. No-one will want to sit next to me tomorrow :D

still aint decided wtf to do with these mushrooms. might just feed em to the pig. but i aint got a fuckin pig. so im gonna have to cook them. hmmmm.... wwhat to do, what to do, what to do. i could make a mushroom curry and freeze it, but ive run out of freezer containers.... and ive gone off curry... hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

maybe i could make a mushroom flat bread or someting

milesy said:
cheapo instant noodles from the chinese supermarket. but to posh it up we're sticking an egg in each bowl - that's authentic chinese tucker (well, that's what my chinese step-mum-in-law does, anyway) :cool:
what sort of egg? i used to do that with cheapo noodles, except i'd put a fried egg on top... delicious when you're a bit pissed or just really craving fat and carbs and sloppy protein

catinthehat said:
You could make mushroom pate - squish them up with parsley, garlic and soft cheese.
not keen on pate's to be honest

i think i might just leave them til tomorrow, hopefully they wont have gone off by then, and i'll make mushroom tagliatele or some other crappy uninspiring mushroom dish

roast lamb with roast spuds and veg :cool:

tomorrow will be a lamb curry with naan and chickpeas :cool:

you can buy them in asian supermarkets, and when i say asian, i mean indian/pakistani not chinese/japanese etc.

anyway, when you asked 'are tinned chickpeas ok'.... ok for what?

i use them.

Tonight I went weird as I hadn't time to get to the supermarket and I'm running low...so I had soya mince with garlic, chile, a chopped tomato, baked beans, pine nuts and cashew nuts mixed and fried. :)

Followed by an apple and a lump of cheese for dessert.

Herbsman. said:
you can buy them in asian supermarkets, and when i say asian, i mean indian/pakistani not chinese/japanese etc.

anyway, when you asked 'are tinned chickpeas ok'.... ok for what?

i use them.

Ta. :)

I fancy making my own houmus.

I wrapped salmon fillets in parma ham, mashed up some sweet potato & ginger, cooked a shrub of brocolli & served it to my sister. She couldn't finish it all, so she got no pudding & I sent her home :)

Winkybag said:
I wrapped salmon fillets in parma ham, mashed up some sweet potato & ginger, cooked a shrub of brocolli & served it to my sister. She couldn't finish it all, so she got no pudding & I sent her home :)

Did you save it for leftovers?

I tried a new recipe tonight. I got it from the Independent On Sunday. It was faranita, a kind of pancake type thing. It were proper lovely.

250 g chickpea flour
250 mls fizzy water
1 teaspoon seasalt
4 tablespoons olive oil
bit of pepper
some rosemary

Whisk it all together, and allow to stand for 20 minutes.

Heat some oil in a pan and ladle in the batter.

Cook for a few minutes, then put the pan into the preheated oven, Gasmark 6, for about 15 minutes.

Serve with whatever you're eating, sprinkled with some seasalt.

Gluten free and delicious.

ETA It's not faranita, it's farinata... :oops:

story said:
Gluten free and delicious.
Are you one of them coeliacans then? I heard that these allergies are all the rage now, like, being allergic to animal wheat because of cruely isnt it or something? :confused: All the celebs are doing it... its supposed to work wonders for your figure

I decided to make an omelette, cos someone mentioned it on this thread, and a little light turned on in my head - I haven't had one for ages - so I bought half a dozen eggs, spring onions, mushrooms, chives and pancetta, then I chopped and whisked and shoved it all in the pan, at which moment, I realised I didn't actually know how to make an omelette cos I'd never made one before. So I had scrambled egg with stuff in it. It was nice but not a success. Oh well, back to yet another risotto tomorrow.

You don't whisk it up too much when you make omlettes. Tis easier to show than explain.

I had chicken curry and rice from one of chinese resturants here - was yummy and just what I needed in the cold wind and rain.

Winkybag said:

Can I come and live in your house so you can cook me tea every night? Pretty pretty please? :)

Orang Utan said:
I decided to make an omelette, cos someone mentioned it on this thread, and a little light turned on in my head - I haven't had one for ages - so I bought half a dozen eggs, spring onions, mushrooms, chives and pancetta, then I chopped and whisked and shoved it all in the pan, at which moment, I realised I didn't actually know how to make an omelette cos I'd never made one before. So I had scrambled egg with stuff in it. It was nice but not a success. Oh well, back to yet another risotto tomorrow.
just stir it with a fork next time. cook the mushrooms for a bit first, in a seperate pan. once theyre cooked, stick the stirred eggs in the frying pan and chuck the mushrooms and everything else on top. as the sides start to congeal, lift them up and tip the pan to allow the liquid egg to go underneath the solid edges. do this all around the circumference of the omlette. finish it off under the grill, after sprinking some parmesan on top...

edit: you could acutally stick the chives on right at the very end, once everything else is cooked.

aqua said:
but don't use a fork if you have a non-stick frying pan :D
nah, I meant use a fork to stir the eggs in a bowl, then chuck them in the pan once they yolk and white have mixed together.

Herbsman. said:
just stir it with a fork next time. cook the mushrooms for a bit first, in a seperate pan. once theyre cooked, stick the stirred eggs in the frying pan and chuck the mushrooms and everything else on top. as the sides start to congeal, lift them up and tip the pan to allow the liquid egg to go underneath the solid edges. do this all around the circumference of the omlette. finish it off under the grill, after sprinking some parmesan on top...

edit: you could acutally stick the chives on right at the very end, once everything else is cooked.
Well, I fried the mushrooms, spring onions and pancetta for a couple of minutes, then whisked the egg up and poured it over what was frying :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom