Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

I've got asparagus also, it's N's favourite (well that and broccoli), I'm doing him some with a sea bass fillet with capers and some potato and courgette mash for his tea before he goes to work.
Haven't decided yet what I am having, I am actually not that keen on asparagus but I do have green beans and runner beans, also have ingredients for a bolognese, so have a few days worth of food to get through.

It's been quite spring-like outside today, and I might do a tortilla/Spanish omelette with some garlicky beans on the side. Still umming and ahhing though, I also have some boneless chicken drumstick meat, bacon, and sausages in the fridge - some of it needs to be portioned up for the freezer anyway regardless of what I decide to eat tonight as we did a large amount of restock shopping the last few days, and I am suffering from too much choice. Chicken, bacon and green bean stew is also quite an appealing thought. Or a Thai style chicken and green bean stir fry with rice. Or chicken and green beans in pesto (or with a ton of basil at least) with pasta. Argh!!!

I've got asparagus also, it's N's favourite (well that and broccoli),
We also had broccoli. Asparagus is Mrs tags favourite. Was yours British and where did you get it from?

For desert, hot X bun bread and butter pudding. The compote is delicious.

British asparagus 👍
With cheese n tomato tart .View attachment 416599
British asparagus more than a month before St Georges day!
What witchcraft is this?
After a quick Google I see it is being grown in the Wye valley and harvested as early as 12th Feb these days.
If that isn't proof of global warming I don't know what is.
Yet my local COOP only sells Peruvian asparagus right through the UK season. :snarl:

I read a rather depressing article about Peru's asparagus industry recently. It's grown by massive agro businesses, owned largely by UK supermarkets, in one of the most arid locations on Earth. Water is drawn from ever deeper wells with aquifer levels depleting at an alarming rate. Many small locally owned farms now have dried up wells and can no longer produce food. There is no long term future for farming in the area. I think the article predicted 15 years before the aquifer was empty.
At which point, no doubt, the supermarkets will move on to another part of the world and proceed to f*ck that up too.
Makes me so angry, especially at the COOP who loudly proclaim their ethical policies whilst refusing to stock asparagus grown within 5 miles of their stores.

/rant off.

Think I'm going to have macaroni (actually penne) cheese tonight with chestnut mushrooms and peppers.

Have decided on chicken and green bean/other veg Thai style fakeaway. N fancies a squid & prawn version of it for tomorrow and that decided me, I can leave him chopped veg, some prawn and squid, and a mug with the sauce ingredients ready to go for him to use in the morning (he has very little time to cook and eat when he is on nights), while I am prepping my own version tonight, very little effort required.

British asparagus more than a month before St Georges day!
What witchcraft is this?
After a quick Google I see it is being grown in the Wye valley and harvested as early as 12th Feb these days.
If that isn't proof of global warming I don't know what is.
Yet my local COOP only sells Peruvian asparagus right through the UK season. :snarl:
Absolutely right. I gather someone has developed a way of growing it to be harvested 2 months early. The same can be said for daffodils, tree blossom and many other things. Mrs Tag will only buy British asparagus; it's flavour and quality is much better. This is why it's such a treat. Maybe we get Italian asparagus occasionally.

I'm having a change of plan too, just realised I am out of a couple of essentials for a Thai dish, so I'm going to do a chicken, bacon and green bean/carrot/mushroom stew instead and have it with some mash or rice and might also do a couple of dumplings, it's getting towards the end of dumpling season and I think I have some vegetable suet floating about in the cupboard. Can do a quorn sausage version for N to have tomorrow.

Chicken wings in Frank's hot sauce. Yellow rice, broccoli, corn on the cob and lemony coleslaw. Vegan magnum after. Proper fucking dinner. Hopefully it'll see off the cold that's been plaguing me for a week.

Absolutely right. I gather someone has developed a way of growing it to be harvested 2 months early. The same can be said for daffodils, tree blossom and many other things. Mrs Tag will only buy British asparagus; it's flavour and quality is much better. This is why it's such a treat. Maybe we get Italian asparagus occasionally.
I think it is because they reuse the soil from the strawberry crop. Asparagus needs a lot of nutrition.
Often when things are grown more quickly than usual they can lose flavour. Peppers and tomatoes grown in Dutch greenhouses for example.
I look forward to your report...

This isn't the right wing Buy British campaign of the '70s, people are rightly concerned now what energy and transport costs/environmental impact/social impact have gone into producing and transporting the food they eat.
Preaching to the choir there Epona. I had a rant earlier about Peruvian asparagus imports.
Being proud of your nation's achievements is not exclusive to the right.
Jerusalem is not the English Horst Wessel song.

Preaching to the choir there Epona. I had a rant earlier about Peruvian asparagus imports.
Being proud of your nation's achievements is not exclusive to the right.
Jerusalem is not the English Horst Wessel song.
I think being proud of your nation's achievements does actually sound a bit right wing and nationalist.
Trying not to trample on other people and on our planet does not though.

I think being proud of your nation's achievements does actually sound a bit right wing and nationalist.
Trying not to trample on other people and on our planet does not though.
That's a problem with your mindset not mine.
Patriotic is not the same as Nationalistic.
Next you'll be calling me a Nationalist for supporting England in the rugby.

That's a problem with your mindset not mine.
Patriotic is not the same as Nationalistic.
Next you'll be calling me a Nationalist for supporting England in the rugby.

Right-oh. If you say so :hmm:

This has nothing to do with what anyone is having for tea at this point.
You just can't seem to make relevant posts (cf. bumping threads by long dead posters seemingly just to make points that bear no relevance to the original post or the posters with no regard for the feelings of current posters, up your post count, taking threads wildly off topic) - please just calm the fuck down a bit and stop posting whatever comes into you head, a lot of us have been here 20+ years, it's not a competition to the highest post count.

Right-oh. If you say so :hmm:

This has nothing to do with what anyone is having for tea at this point.
You just can't seem to make relevant posts (cf. bumping threads by long dead posters seemingly just to make points that bear no relevance to the original post or the posters with no regard for the feelings of current posters, up your post count, taking threads wildly off topic) - please just calm the fuck down a bit and stop posting whatever comes into you head, a lot of us have been here 20+ years, it's not a competition to the highest post count.
Look, I'm getting rather tired of your character assassinations and thinly veiled accusations that I'm some sort of right wing troll just because we had a disagreement about a meme.
I think I'm just going to put you on ignore if it continues.
I was happily having a conversation about asparagus with someone else before you took it off topic.
If you don't like my contributions then don't read my posts.

Back
Top Bottom