Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

If I can get my shit together after a stressful grocery shopping experience, I intend to make a toad in the hole and have with roast spuds, peas, and gravy.
I really ought to start making the batter soon though so it can rest in the fridge for a bit!

Did you get the batter done so you can have it tomorrow?
No and tomorrow is N's night off (Monday and Tuesday nights are his "weekend") and we have plans to go out for the day so I didn't want to use the last of our eggs to make batter which might not get used tomorrow.
I can have a sausage or bacon or fish finger sarnie tonight before bed if I feel up to it.
The reason nothing happened was because of stressful afternoon (2 branches of Lidl to get the Thing I Wanted and crowds/queues) and it just takes me a while to unwind from that and then oops it's 10pm and I can't be arsed.

Fried Sausage, Egg & Mushrooms, Mash, Buttered with a dash of milk whisked till Creamy, Steamed carrots slices, broccoli, red onion, garlic, salt & pepper to taste with a generous pool of yummy gravy
2024-03-18 at 19.14.55_4cb82f6a.jpg

Fried Sausage, Egg & Mushrooms, Mash, Buttered with a dash of milk whisked till Creamy, Steamed carrots slices, broccoli, red onion, garlic, salt & pepper to taste with a generous pool of yummy gravy
View attachment 416433

Do you have a fried egg with every meal? :D
Sausages nicely standing to attention. (ooh-er missuz)
Again, for me an odd mix of components that I wouldn't necessarily think of putting together on the same plate, but if it works then it works :)

Do you have a fried egg with every meal? :D
Sausages nicely standing to attention. (ooh-er missuz)
Again, for me an odd mix of components that I wouldn't necessarily think of putting together on the same plate, but if it works then it works :)
I'm getting more curious in my food exploits, more so on the mix of tastes & contrasts, mind you the thought of a fried egg with jelly & ice-cream doesn't sound or imagine well, but who knows till its tasted it might be delicious for breakfast !🤔

Technical question if I may - why would it not rise in the middle?
If your batter is room temp before using, the puddings tend to rise a bit more and be crispier.
I normally make mine and leave on the side for 30 mins while the fat is heating up in the oven.

If your batter is room temp before using, the puddings tend to rise a bit more and be crispier.
I normally make mine and leave on the side for 30 mins while the fat is heating up in the oven.
Cheers. I had it in the fridge for maybe 30 mins, then it was poured directly into the tray the sausages were cooked in in and the oil was sizzling.

It was lovely all the same.

Chicken, not sure how which way or what but I have a chicken to cook, probably spatchcock it. Do have an excess of pita and wraps so may do something with rice and a sauce and a head of iceberg salad with cheese, meat and red jalapeno juice since we are out of green. So big stuffed things of food.

I'm doing a paella inspired but wildly inauthentic rice type thing - fish and seafood (basa, prawns, squid, mussels) with a bit of asparagus in it for N, chicken and pancetta and a tiny amount of seafood (couple of prawns and a little bit of squid) with some green beans in it for me.

Chicken, not sure how which way or what but I have a chicken to cook, probably spatchcock it. Do have an excess of pita and wraps so may do something with rice and a sauce and a head of iceberg salad with cheese, meat and red jalapeno juice since we are out of green. So big stuffed things of food.
Turned out to be spatchcocked chicken lagged in BBQ sauce, jerk sauce and peppers. Big thing of rice, basic iceberg/cheddar/red jalapeno's and pickle juice with some salt and pepper in wraps. Made 4 people very full and we have some bits leftover, probably about £6 for 4 which isn't bad and leftover rice plus we all stuffed ourselves silly. Seems my salads are bizarrely now in demand, been through an iceberg/romaine a day for nearly a week now but we had extra bits in the other ones. Either way its a simple way to feed us all without much hassle for anyone, just switch the flavours and added bits to the salad, use pita instead of wraps, etc. May need a new sack of rice.

Back
Top Bottom