Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

Look, I'm getting rather tired of your character assassinations and thinly veiled accusations that I'm some sort of right wing troll just because we had a disagreement about a meme.
I think I'm just going to put you on ignore if it continues.
I was happily having a conversation about asparagus with someone else before you took it off topic.
If you don't like my contributions then don't read my posts.
Oooh, put me on ignore, that'll really hurt me.
No please do.
I thought you were OK at first, but bumping threads from long dead posters who are missed by people here, seemingly because you love the sound of your own voice and have no boundaries, really was the last straw.

Oooh, put me on ignore, that'll really hurt me.
No please do.
I thought you were OK at first, but bumping threads from long dead posters who are missed by people here, seemingly because you love the sound of your own voice and have no boundaries, really was the last straw.
What are you talking about?
What long dead posters?

What are you talking about?
What long dead posters?
Another thread you bumped from 10 years ago seemingly just because you wanted to have a say on something that was first posted ages ago and the original poster and a lot of the other contributors are now deceased.

It is a bit upsetting, when you don't seem to have any point to make about their original post, you're just posting for the sake of it.

Don't do that please. Check threads for an RIP banner under peoples names before bumping from 10, 20 or more years ago.

I am trying to help you out in terms of posting here, but you're not coming across very well right now - at least make sure not to bump dead posters threads unless you have something relevant or poignant about them to post.

No idea tonight. I haven't planned anything, I've had a long day and the boy is ill, so might just be egg and chips or something.

I fell over yesterday and was in pain and in a foul mood and ended up not eating.
Still in pain cos I have a lot of bruises but need to eat.
Will probably do the chicken and green bean stew I was interested in yesterday before I went arse over tit and injured myself :rolleyes:

Just a question as am thinking this for tonight as we have some leftovers from y/day.

For me a Baked Spud with a Macaroni Cheese topping?

Mrs Numbers is thinking similar but with a Lasagne topping.

I mean they both sound great, but I'd probably go with Mrs Numbers here.

However what were you cooking that you had both Mac Cheese & Lasagne as left overs? :D

Ended up with chicken drumstick meat, green beans, shallots, mushrooms, garlic cooked with brandy and white wine and with some penne and some of the pasta water and parmesan stirred in at the end to make a bit of a sauce/coating for the pasta.
I am not sure whether to take some with me for my butterfly course tomorrow, it's tasty as fuck but looks a bit beige and unappetising and might not be as good cold.

It actually wasn't very nice, I think I am going to swerve the chicken drumstick meat in future - lots of tendons in it, I'd rather have a thigh fillet or a full bone-in skin-on thigh or leg.

It actually wasn't very nice, I think I am going to swerve the chicken drumstick meat in future - lots of tendons in it, I'd rather have a thigh fillet or a full bone-in skin-on thigh or leg.
Sorry it wasn't nice - agree re thigh

Sorry it wasn't nice - agree re thigh

Yep I got the drumstick meat as a cheaper option intended for quick cooking, but it doesn't stand up so well compared to filleted thigh meat (which is tender, juicy and delicious for stir-frying) due to the tendons in it.
That detracted from it a bit, although I do like legs and drumsticks if cooked whole. Just filleted for flash frying doesn't really work well IMO.

I am making a bolognese sauce, have started one for N to have tomorrow too but I realised I don't know whether we have any quorn mince, so his version might end up as a tuna based pasta dish instead.

I hate drumsticks and wings and thighs with bones.
I can be a little bit fussy about textural stuff with food, or food that requires a bit more effort to eat cos there's a lot of bones or connective tissue in it - the only time I really eat wings is when I roast a whole chicken and then I will pull them off while it's still hot and eat them, but I wouldn't order wings or buy a bag of wings, same with drumsticks, for me it seems to be something neurodiverse about certain textures in food, and getting messy while I am eating, it probably comes across as a bit prim and proper but I just don't like getting food on my hands, especially if it's a bit greasy :oops:
I'm OK with thighs though, the higher meat to bone ratio means that works ok for me.

I'm on the fish pie train too.
Made it this morning and had a courgette to use up and so grated it into the onion when starting the sauce. Turns out we now have a green fish pie. Good job my mum's sight's a bit dodgy with her cataract. :hmm:

Malt loaf for pudding. Probably with butter.

I'm on the fish pie train too.
Made it this morning and had a courgette to use up and so grated it into the onion when starting the sauce. Turns out we now have a green fish pie. Good job my mum's sight's a bit dodgy with her cataract. :hmm:

Malt loaf for pudding. Probably with butter.

I've never put courgette in the sauce, but I heartily recommend grated courgette as one of the best things you can do to jazz up a batch of mashed spuds - whether it's for mash as a side dish, or as a topping for a fish pie or similar - fucking lush. Grate the courgette (about half an average size courgette works for 2 portions of mash) into the pan of spuds for about the last 5 mins of cooking time, then drain and mash with your usual choice of butter/milk/non-dairy alternative and a load of black pepper, bit of mustard works well with it too.

I've never put courgette in the sauce, but I heartily recommend grated courgette as one of the best things you can do to jazz up a batch of mashed spuds - whether it's for mash as a side dish, or as a topping for a fish pie or similar - fucking lush. Grate the courgette (about half an average size courgette works for 2 portions of mash) into the pan of spuds for about the last 5 mins of cooking time, then drain and mash with your usual choice of butter/milk/non-dairy alternative and a load of black pepper, bit of mustard works well with it too.

That sounds bonkers but I'm game for trying it. I put creme freche in the mash spuds tonight though, first I've tried it, but it needed to be used.

Did Haggis, Neeps and Tatties with Kale for our last night in Scotland. Proper haggis for me, veggie for her. Not done neeps and tatties loads, but mashed them seperate tonight for the first time. Think it's better that way.

That sounds bonkers but I'm game for trying it. I put creme freche in the mash spuds tonight though, first I've tried it, but it needed to be used.

It's a very rural French way of doing it (I learned about it when I was staying with friends for a while in France, they always did their mash with courgette in it. And naturally, an absolute ton of butter, but it can be done a bit healthier :D )
The softness of the courgette really creates a lovely soft texture to the mash.

Back
Top Bottom