Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

My daughter and I had promised ourselves a pizza night and as she's a vegan and this is North Yorkshire we made her one. I did look for them in the local Morrisons. 40p for the cheapest carrier bag! FOURTY PENCE! Honestly, it almost put me off my tea. Imagine the meeting where they decide it's going to cost 40p. "GUYS! OK GUYS! So first of all, let's put out something about how much more expensive it is to manufacture paper bags and then we can charge 40p for each one! IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII KNOWWWWWW!"

Anyway! I got a Morrisons garlic bread for the base that was just horrible. It had these piped nipples of garlic something on it that were pretty nasty. Then I made a tomato base from mini plum tomatos and some of my curry sauce base that's garlic, ginger, plum tomatos and chillis. Put some Dosa fake chicken on it and then covered it in Vio Life cheese. My daughter said she had never had a vegan deep dish pizza before lol. We ended up calling it the Repizza as the mahoosive amount of garlic on it made it quite burpy.

My pizza was lovely. Forty fucking pence though.

Christ don't get me started on Morrisons and their fucking bags.
You know what, they recently removed all the paper bags from the fruit and veg section of our local one so if you want to buy any loose fruit or veg that is difficult to put straight into the trolley cos they will end up everywhere and fall through the gaps, eg. mushrooms, grapes, small items like that (assuming you can find any that aren't already wrapped to within an inch of their life in plastic in the first place) and failed to bring your own small bags for the purpose, you can instead of using the small brown paper bags that they used to supply for free, purchase a mesh produce bag made from recycled plastic at I think it was 20 or 30p, fucking moneygrabbing bastards they are wrt bags and despite making the right noises still most of their fresh produce is in plastic packaging and they managed to completely mangle the spirit of the charge on plastic bags in an effort to rake in more money. No-one said that they couldn't provide paper bags for free.

Aaaaaand, breathe
Sorry, that's one of my Morrison's related pet peeves, hit my "have a rant" button there for sure, but yes I agree with you. 40p for a bag that splits on the way to the bus. I shop with my rucksack but it's the principle of the thing.

They used to be one of the budget supermarkets, they now come in near the top of the rankings in terms of expense, done away with lots of their savers range (or are in the process of doing so), and put up prices of their own brand goods beyond that of other supermarkets. (Morrison's related pet peeve #2, don't worry I am going to stop now).

Last edited:
You know what, they recently removed all the paper bags from the fruit and veg section of our local one so if you want to buy any loose fruit or veg that is difficult to put straight into the trolley cos they will end up everywhere and fall through the gaps, eg. mushrooms, grapes, small items like that (assuming you can find any that aren't already wrapped to within an inch of their life in plastic in the first place) and failed to bring your own small bags for the purpose, you can instead of using the small brown paper bags that they used to supply for free, purchase a mesh produce bag made from recycled plastic at I think it was 20 or 30p, fucking moneygrabbing bastards they are wrt bags and despite making the right noises still most of their fresh produce is in plastic packaging and they managed to completely mangle the spirit of the charge on plastic bags in an effort to rake in more money. No-one said that they couldn't provide paper bags for free.

Aaaaaand, breathe
Sorry, that's one of my Morrison's related pet peeves, hit my "have a rant" button there for sure, but yes I agree with you. 40p for a bag that splits on the way to the bus. I shop with my rucksack but it's the principle of the thing.

They used to be one of the budget supermarkets, they now come in near the top of the rankings in terms of expense, done away with lots of their savers range (or are in the process of doing so), and put up prices of their own brand goods beyond that of other supermarkets. (Morrison's related pet peeve #2, don't worry I am going to stop now).

You know when it’s like that person is talking straight to you? This post is like that. Absolutely magical. And funny. And spot on. I wrote this because I was thinking “ I want to love this post more.

Aaaaaand, breathe

I always grab a load of bags from my local co-op...
(22 in my possession at the moment....)

• Love
Reactions: bmd
You know when it’s like that person is talking straight to you? This post is like that. Absolutely magical. And funny. And spot on. I wrote this because I was thinking “ I want to love this post more.

OK I am going to go one further here despite saying I would stop, cos I remembered there is a bit more to my rant.

Get this - If you get a Morrison's delivery (or at least they did this when I have had deliveries in the past and it wasn't that long ago when I last got one, the last time I had Covid which was sometime last year), they bring everything to your door in crates, but in the crates are loads and loads of the OLD 10p carrier bags, some of which only contain 1 item - these of course they charge you 10p for each as they are legally required to do, but the option for delivery without carrier bags was hidden deep within the ordering process last time I ordered (although has to be said I was not feeling well at the time).

So they still make the 10p plastic bags, which they all too willingly oversupply to customers who order for delivery and charge them for a previously unagreed and usually ridiculously excessive number of 10p bags, but those aren't available to customers in store who might use them a bit more frugally.

:mad:

(EDIT: Just checked the receipt for my last order and it was 22 items, none large, and it came in 8 carrier bags. The order previous to that was similar, 32 items, none particularly bulky, 12 carrier bags - so yeah on average approximately 2.7 items per bag)

Last edited:
OK I am going to go one further here despite saying I would stop, cos I remembered there is a bit more to my rant.

Get this - If you get a Morrison's delivery (or at least they did this when I have had deliveries in the past and it wasn't that long ago when I last got one, the last time I had Covid which was sometime last year), they bring everything to your door in crates, but in the crates are loads and loads of the OLD 10p carrier bags, some of which only contain 1 item - these of course they charge you 10p for each as they are legally required to do, but the option for delivery without carrier bags was hidden deep within the ordering process last time I ordered (although has to be said I was not feeling well at the time).

So they still make the 10p plastic bags, which they all too willingly oversupply to customers who order for delivery and charge them for a previously unagreed and usually ridiculously excessive number of 10p bags, but those aren't available to customers in store who might use them a bit more frugally.

(EDIT: Just checked the receipt for my last order and it was 22 items, none large, and it came in 8 carrier bags. The order previous to that was similar, 32 items, none particularly bulky, 12 carrier bags - so yeah on average approximately 2.7 items per bag)

You are a Legend.

Unbagged deliveries, though - never thought I'd find myself, in the 21st century, speed-throwing food onto the sofa whilst the delivery man looks on, then dealing with the carnage after.

I tend to use Amazon Fresh. Yeah yeah I know - I struggle to forward plan to get a normal delivery, plus life is a bit chaotic and by the time it arrives plans may have changed. They use large thick paper bags and any frozen stuff comes with plastic bags filled with ice. The bags are useful, we used a ton of them in drydock for keeping the floor clean so I save them. I just put in a delivery now. Dad fell last night, my brother was here overnight, now it's my turn. Mum is out with my brother. There's not much food in and I can't go out and get it, dad can't be left on his own so I ordered at 1pm and it'll be here by 4pm. No idea what's for tea yet.

Last edited:
I tend to use Amazon Fresh. Yeah yeah I know - I struggle to forward plan to get a normal delivery, plus life is a bit chaotic and by the time it arrives plans may have changed. They use large thick paper bags and any frozen stuff comes with plastic bags filled with. The bags are useful, we used a ton of them in drydock for keeping the floor clean so I save them. I just put in a delivery now. Dad fell last night, my brother was here overnight, now it's my turn. Mum is out with my brother. There's not much food in and I can't go out and get it, dad can't be left on his own so I ordered at 1pm and it'll be here by 4pm. No idea what's for tea yet.
Sorry about your Dad, hope he recovers quickly.

I've got 3 turkey legs in the slow cooker with a curry base. Going to pull them out when done, cut the meat off and add it back to curry.

Naan and rice.

I'm going to make the spicy tomato and frankfurter penne that has been on my mind for a few days!

Was too tired to do dishes and cook last night (I did have lunch though!) so am really looking forward to having something nice tonight. Version with same spicy tomato base sauce but with tinned tuna instead of frankfurters for OH to have for his tea in the morning.
We have some part baked baguettes in the cupboard so I might make some garlic bread too. Will see how much effort I feel like putting in (not that it is a lot of effort, but I am feeling lazy and might not bother)

Aaaaaand, breathe

Something relevant happened to OH today - we actually have loads of the durable "bag for life" type bags at home and OH has some in his locker at work for when he needs to get shopping on his way home, but when he got to Morrison's this morning he realised he forgot to bring one - he just went fuck it and bought a roll of bin liners, tore one off and put all his shopping in that :D

We didn't need bin liners right now but it's not like they go off and we'll use them eventually :D

Mum isn’t feeling great now, she got back earlier complaining of sore feet, we need the doctor for her too. I went accross the road to Mozzas, bought some salmon fillets, marinaded and airfried them and made a rice salad to go with . Really it was to encourage dad to eat and get some nutrition into him and it’s working but mum hasn’t eaten enough today either. Made too much salad, gave mum far too much (I thought) and shes eaten all of it. Yum!

Back
Top Bottom