Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

Not the best food photo in the world, bit out of focus cos I was in a hurry, and I already got part way through the meal - but first time I've cooked a proper meal after a while of being "meh" about food.

I scoffed the lot and am considering going back in for seconds which are supposed to be for tomorrow - mushroom and red pepper fried rice, a daal dish involving green lentils with onions, ginger, garlic, cumin, dried chilli and asafoetida; and a basa fish and spinach curry in a tomato based sauce:

IMG_20230424_233249_165.jpg

(I am definitely back on the tea thread and feeling much better :D )

Last edited:
Made a very tasty tomato and mascarpone sauce last night, with fusilli and mixed leaf salad.

Tonight is a freezer-foraged 2 bean chilli, with brown rice, sour cream, grated extra mature cheddar on top.

Bramble jelly-melty middle double choc muffin and a brew for afters.

I thought I would try cabbage in my stew instead of my usual broccoli.
Cheap and cheerful.
I often end up overcooking the broccoli in any case...

red onion
garlic
miso
seaweed
mixed beans
canned tomatoes
carrots
broccoli stalks
savoy cabbage
mushrooms
tahini
Fitou

In the days of dirt-cheap days out on the Continent (barely five years ago), I managed to get my former flatmate to come along on a Brussels run -- partly to get him out of his rut, but also because he would eat anything, and I wanted to try snalis without committing myself. He bought a portion, and I cadged two, just so I could say I'd eaten snails in the plural. They reminded me of whelks. Whenever I eat a whelk, I wonder whether I like it or not, and then decide I don't, really. So it was with the snails.

Oh they are quite similar to whelks, yes. I like whelks too.
Basically I think you could smother anything in a garlic herb butter and I would eat it (no giggling in the back row please!)

I admit I am not very familiar with eating other sorts of snails than the larger escargots in France (which I love!) - they look very much like what we call banded snails here - a lot smaller.
Tbh they are just snails from the fields . Caracois is the name for the smaller ones and caracoletas for slightly bigger ones . They are cooked in water , a little white wine , herbs and often orange of lemon peel. Yesterday was the anniversary of the revolution so a public holiday and in the Algarve it’s traditional to celebrate that day and May 1st eating snails .

Dhal made with fresh turmeric (courtesy of the very kind and generous iona ), onion, garlic, fenugreek, nigella, cumin, cayenne, mustard seeds, spinach and red lentils. Will have with roasted spiced cauli and garlic and coriander naans.

Special flapjack with a brew for afters.
After reading that I'm regretting not sending it on the condition that you post me some of whatever you cook with it!

After reading that I'm regretting not sending it on the condition that you post me some of whatever you cook with it!
Hey, you have a permanent welcome here if you ever land up in the shithole of the north! You just let me know and I'll cook you up a storm. No rowies though. Stodgy shite that :thumbs:
:p

Hey, you have a permanent welcome here if you ever land up in the shithole of the north! You just let me know and I'll cook you up a storm. No rowies though. Stodgy shite that :thumbs:
:p
Appreciate the offer but I'm not liking the rest of that post! They're less stodgy than chips anyway :confused: I've introduced so many other English people to them over the last week that I could probably get funding for some kind of cultural ambassador role if the SNP finances weren't under so much scrutiny atm.

Back
Top Bottom