Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

Veggie mince shepherdless pie with spring onions in the mash and cheese on top and I think there's still some apple pie left for later. Very aware that I've been cooked for by the two women on the farm the last few nights now so I'll make sure to take my turn tomorrow :oops: It is really nice though to share the cooking when I'm used to living alone.

Haven't decided yet, but some frankfurters called to me when I was in the supermarket earlier, so it will be those chopped up in either a rice or pasta dish of some sort, also have half a red pepper to use up and plenty of onions.

Will report back when I've decided.

Sorry sojourner I've just realised I was too overexcited about Orkney stuff earlier to remember to ask how you got on using the turmeric?
Well you weren't kidding about the staining! I remembered to wear gloves whilst prepping it for the spiced carrot thing, then promptly forgot and took them off before I mashed it all together with my bare hands :facepalm: :D

I remembered the gloves last night for the dhal though. And it was absolutely sumptuous, so thank you. I might be putting in a regular order haha :D

Dunno yet. We're moored in Goole, went to the big Tesco and bagged a Charlie Bighams thai curry for a fiver - get in! Had that last night. I'm at my parents, about half an hours train ride away from Goole all day today, mums gone to the nannas club at the church so dad needs someone with him.
I'm airfrying some chicken legs from the freezer, we might have them, well, the meat shredded and stir fried with cabbage and sriracha and noodles, but if I'm really trashed when I get back to Goole, later on, there's a Turkish charcoal grill that we've not been to yet. One thing I really miss about North London is Turkish food, there's not as much up here, but this place looks a bit better than your standard kebab joint, more like something from green lanes.

Last edited:
Don't know, it's my turn to cook but I've got a sick headache and can't really contemplate food.
Problem solved by the oven :thumbs: Stuck a load of random stuff in while I waited for the painkillers to take effect. Son had breaded chicken, new potatoes and salad; daughter had fishfingers, potato waffles and peas; I am about to eat cheesy jacket potatoes with the last two fishfingers and some wilted chard on the side.

I really wanted to do penne pasta with chopped frankfurters in a tomato and chilli sauce (which would do me for tonight, lunch tomorrow and could also make a meat free version for OH to have tomorrow) but have discovered we are out of tinned tomatoes, don't have any tomatoes of any sort (except ketchup) apparently, and I am not going out for tinned tomatoes.

So instead I am having hot dogs with onions, ketchup and mustard.

The other person I'm sharing cooking duties with here is semi-veggie but decided they wanted meat tonight and suggested steak & chips. I said I could do steak but chips might be a struggle here, then an air fryer appeared in the kitchen this afternoon apparently entirely by coincidence (clearly it was a sign from the universe that we needed chips) :thumbs:

So rump steak, skin-on chips, cabbage and leeks with loads of butter and black pepper. My first time using an air fryer and the chips were fucking amazing. Two slabs of toasted buttered fruit bread AND the last quarter of apple pie after, because it's blowing a hoolie and pelting down outside and I need all the carbs.

Last edited:
Can't decide between red onion/red pepper/extra mature cheddar frittata with potato salad, rocket and romaine salad, and my homegrown pea shoots, or Linda Mc moz cheeseburgers with wedges and aforementioned salads. Will depend on levels of arsedness when I finish work.

Freezer-foraged coffee and walnut cake. Revelation to me that you could freeze cake!

My daughter and I had promised ourselves a pizza night and as she's a vegan and this is North Yorkshire we made her one. I did look for them in the local Morrisons where it's 40p for the cheapest carrier bag! FOURTY PENCE! Honestly, it almost put me off my tea. Imagine the meeting where they decide it's going to cost 40p. "GUYS! OK GUYS! So first of all, let's put out something about how much more expensive it is to manufacture paper bags and then we can charge 40p for each one! IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII KNOWWWWWW!"

Anyway! I got a Morrisons garlic bread for the base that was just horrible. It had these piped nipples of garlic something on it that were pretty nasty. Then I made a tomato base from mini plum tomatos and some of my curry sauce base that's garlic, ginger, plum tomatos and chillis. Put some Dosa fake chicken on it and then covered it in Vio Life cheese. My daughter said she had never had a vegan deep dish pizza before lol. We ended up calling it the Repizza as the mahoosive amount of garlic on it made it quite burpy.

My pizza was lovely.

Forty fucking pence though.

Back
Top Bottom