Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

My partner is making an extravaganza of gyro pita with gochujang-marinated tempeh (that's a lot of foreign words in one sentence), then, once we recover, a pancake stack with oat yoghurt, nuts and blueberry jam he made last night.
I'll offer my assistance whenever possible, otherwise he'll burn out and we'll have a pretty grim evening : D

1 x chicken tray bake and 1 x vegan tray bake. Prepped before we meet friends for wines, then they are coming back for dinner.

I had a meeting that finished at 8 last night (urgggghhhhh); so we went out for pasta afterwards. Totally miss timed it, restaurant was packed full of tourists and it took ages, the owner just parked as at the bar and told us to help ourselves to drinks.. always dangerous…

Better than nothing. I eat oatcakes when I don't feel like eating.

I had a Cook mac/cauli cheese and some toast. The pots for one are starting to feel smaller.

Honestly although there has (not that I've seen from anyone here mind, I mean in general) historically been a bit of snobbery levelled at pot noodles, I reckon they've probably kept people alive on occasion to get them through illness or incapacity - so easy and sometimes it's better to just eat something than nothing. I like them for when I'm in a rush or recovering from illness. That and tinned or powdered soup, mugshots etc. That sort of quick meals most certainly have their place.

Honestly although there has (not that I've seen from anyone here mind, I mean in general) historically been a bit of snobbery levelled at pot noodles, I reckon they've probably kept people alive on occasion to get them through illness or incapacity - so easy and sometimes it's better to just eat something than nothing. I like them for when I'm in a rush or recovering from illness. That and tinned or powdered soup, mugshots etc. That sort of quick meals most certainly have their place.
Yeh we cook almost everything from scratch generally. But there's still packets of mugshots, pasta n sauce of various types, off-hand pot noodles, flavoured instant rice things.

Comes a lot from when I was basically counting every penny, there was a spreadsheet that covered 4 supermarkets I could walk to. I had a kitchen cupboard I stuffed with rice, pasta, cans and these things. The oh shit cupboard I called it. If I was suddenly without any income then I could survive on it and some bagged frozen veg for quite some time. Its also great for lazy teenagers, very quick lunches or anyone sick and not facing more substantial things.

I have in the past subsisted on cans of Nurishment when too anxious to eat.

Yeh we cook almost everything from scratch generally. But there's still packets of mugshots, pasta n sauce of various types, off-hand pot noodles, flavoured instant rice things.

Comes a lot from when I was basically counting every penny, there was a spreadsheet that covered 4 supermarkets I could walk to. I had a kitchen cupboard I stuffed with rice, pasta, cans and these things. The oh shit cupboard I called it. If I was suddenly without any income then I could survive on it and some bagged frozen veg for quite some time. Its also great for lazy teenagers, very quick lunches or anyone sick and not facing more substantial things.

There is certainly a lot to be said for having dried and tinned goods for those rough times when you can't afford to go out and buy anything fresh - they last pretty much indefinitely and I certainly understand the concept of the oh shit cupboard, have one myself.

There is certainly a lot to be said for having dried and tinned goods for those rough times when you can't afford to go out and buy anything fresh - they last pretty much indefinitely and I certainly understand the concept of the oh shit cupboard, have one myself.
Definitely, dried stuff for longevity, 60 meals in the freezer for if someone can use a microwave now. Tho we just had 2.5kg of pasta nabbed from the shed by rats. Which is not ideal. I now have a weekend of yet again trying to clear out a shed having done the other one last week. Fields out the back so can't just get rid of them but I want them out the (ridiculously packed) shed. Removed all food but I still don't fancy finding one rotting....

I've huge stores of just about everything now I can currently afford to bulk buy. We do better than most now but its been a tough ride.

It was biscuit beetles once for me that damaged a lot of stuff, they bore right through the bag and do horrendous things to your stored stuff. We have mice too, so everything is in tupperware or similar containers more recently. The joys of living in a block of flats.

Pot noodles definitely have their place!
One of the things I love about this thread is the lack of judgement - fancy, cooked from scratch extravaganzas to pot noodles or crisps n gin - all are welcomed :cool:

We've had a really long drive home from Wales today and I cba with cooking so we're having egg and chips

I wanted chips tonight, i CRAVED them. I was even gonna treat myself to a pickled onion. Went to the chippy at half nine and....they'd stopped serving chips.

How the fucking fuckity fuck does a chip shop in the middle of Chatham stop serving chips at half nine on a sodding friday? It should be a crime ffs.

Back
Top Bottom