Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

We decided not to go to play pool what with me feeling a bit rubbish (innards also playing up due to odd diet/lack of food but nobody wants to hear about that on the tea thread) and finances being even more rubbish.
Strongly considering tea #2 of fried eggs, mushrooms, buttered toast. Wish I'd made more lentil soup but we scoffed the lot.

Im in a hotel near the NEC, Im attending a conference here tomorrow. Really didn’t feel like an expensive but disappointing meal out at a chain restaurant and I’m too tired to speak, to order food, anyway, so I got an M&S caesar salad and some roast chicken and a posh yoghurt in the city centre and ate it in my hotel room. I didn’t book the room my work association did and breakfast is included in the price, But I brought stuff to eat tomorrow anyway. There’s no way I’d pay £20 for breakfast if it wasn’t. Will save my food for the train tomorrow evening. I told them gluten free but Im prepared if the offer is shit, I think its a bit like being vegan, you always have your own food with you. My worst gluten free hotel experience was a wake where I couldnt eat any of the entirely beige buffet so they sold me a bowl of iceberg lettuce with a minscule amount of smoked salmon (no dressing) for £25. What a swizz.

Last edited:
We always had Shepherds Pie, but it was with beef mince, which is apparently wrong but well thats what I got told. If you aren't a great fan of lamb use this instead, tho people will keep telling you its cottage pie, cos cottages look after cows going on the logic of lamb being shepherds pie.
We grew up on that.
Its called Cottage Pie here...

Eta...I see Epona has already explained the whole cottage pie thing.

We only ever had beef in cottage pie. Mum used to use up left over roast beef and she had a mincer that stuck to the table. It was a manual mincer..and I got the jkb of mincing the left over cooked beef for cottage pie. Always was nice..

As my fridge/freezer has stopped working having throw away a lot,so not quite decided what to eat,what defrosts the quickest etc and cannot get a new one until friday.Making me loose my appetite.
No friendly neighbours with any fridge or freezer space?

What is this poke?
Oh mate, it's the best. It's essentially a sushi bowl, but hawaiian influenced - sushi rice topped with chopped salmon, tuna, shrimp - whatever you like. And then usually there's a bunch of other stuff in there too - my favourite has avocado, grilled sweetcorn, mango, seaweed, edamame. Topped with seasonings, crispy fried onions etc.

Attachments

• IMG_20230302_195010.jpg
    IMG_20230302_195010.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 7
Cheers :) If you asked for a poke round here you'd either get a sore eye or a shag :D
It means a bag here, typically a paper bag. (C/f “pig in a poke”). I once caused confusion and insult in Edinburgh when I was young and asked a young woman of English origin (presumably a student) working in a fast food outlet if I could have a poke. Her colleagues had to step in and correct the misapprehension, which was, to my utter confusion, escalating in a way I had never anticipated.

We only ever had beef in cottage pie. Mum used to use up left over roast beef and she had a mincer that stuck to the table. It was a manual mincer..and I got the jkb of mincing the left over cooked beef for cottage pie. Always was nice..
My mum had a clamp-on mincer like this, with different grilles for thick, thin or novelty* mince. It was great fun.

* Don't ask.

My mum had a clamp-on mincer like this, with different grilles for thick, thin or novelty* mince. It was great fun.

* Don't ask.
Mine too! Oh absolutely, great fun. I bought one just like the one pictured fairly recently too :D

* Don't ask.
Yes, mine too.

She also had a cookbook called 100 Ways with Mince.

Back
Top Bottom