Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

Greek roast chicken, whole chook roasted with new potatoes, tomatoes, olives and a ton of herbs. It's very forgiving so added random veg that needed using and some odds and sods from antipasti jars out of the fridge. Crumbled feta at the end - lovely! And now have half a roast chicken left for later in the week :thumbs:

Chicken thigh meat (air fried yesterday & left over) chopped up in egg fried rice done British takeaway style (i.e. soy and msg added to the rice before frying) but with loads of chopped spring onions just like when they got me chow fan when working late in China. I love egg fried rice its my comfort food

Am making special flapjacks first, so whatever I can be arsed making out of these two afterwards:

spaghetti tossed in olive oil/garlic/chilli with black olives and all the parmesan

orrrr

fried halloumi, chipotle couscous, tomato salad, black olives, green salad.

Last edited:
Chicken thigh meat (air fried yesterday & left over) chopped up in egg fried rice done British takeaway style (i.e. soy and msg added to the rice before frying) but with loads of chopped spring onions just like when they got me chow fan when working late in China. I love egg fried rice its my comfort food
Where I worked the soy was one of the last things added towards the end of frying. I don't think we added MSG to rice.

I really fancy a Big Mac for some reason but probably going to be beer (OH's night off and our regular night for playing pool) and a stir fry with noodles.
Oooh we might get some chips and eat them in the pub. The large portion of chips from our takeaway is massive.
Not eating regularly atm still going through a bit of a mental health thing and CBA to cook (which is really unlike me).

One of the big alarm bells for depression for me that, the CBA to cook/disinterest in food thing.

Hope it resolves very soon for you chuck.

Thank you, I seem to be having some sort of crisis going on at the moment and yes not wanting to cook or eat is very unusual for me.
Not the right thread for going into a lot of detail but last year I got very depressed around early April which is my birthday at least in part due to missing my darling Sonic, so I think it might be the same thing again plus I think Jakey doesn't have long left and that has been difficult.
I'll be OK, I'm not suicidal or anything and Nate is aware and looking after me, so please I don't want anyone worrying about that side of things. It is affecting my will to eat and I am drinking too much. I'm sure I'll be alright again soon :)

Someone in the near vicinity of my flat is cooking curry, smells like daal and there is asafoetida involved that goes lovely in daal.
I feel like the food part of my brain (and let's be honest that is usually a big part of my brain) is starting to wake up.

Still cba to cook and can't afford a full takeaway/delivery but I might pop down to the local Indian restaurant and get a portion of daal in a bit, might just give me a bit of a much needed reboot for under a fiver.

I made a shepherds pie yesterday. I've never been a big fan of SP, and a tv chef explained why, and how he does it.

So I made it and whilst it was probably better than all the SPs I have eaten, it still tasted of lamb, and today the whole flat stinks of rendered lamb. In bed my hair and everything smelled of lamb, so I'm not going to do it ever again.

Sausages and mash tonight, with onion gravy.

OH a hard no on any takeaway food, apparently we can't afford it as well as going out and playing pool which I want to do too, got to have some sort of social/leisure life else you're only existing and not living IMO.

Decided to make Egyptian lentil soup instead (ty sojourner for the recipe all those years ago!) - cheap, comforting, fairly quick, hits the daal bracket that I was looking for.

I made a shepherds pie yesterday. I've never been a big fan of SP, and a tv chef explained why, and how he does it.

So I made it and whilst it was probably better than all the SPs I have eaten, it still tasted of lamb, and today the whole flat stinks of rendered lamb. In bed my hair and everything smelled of lamb, so I'm not going to do it ever again.

Oh no, that's a shame - I love lamb and love shepherds pie but yeah if you aren't a lamb/mutton fan then better give that particular dish a swerve in future - no point trying to force yourself to like something innit :)

We always had Shepherds Pie, but it was with beef mince, which is apparently wrong but well thats what I got told. If you aren't a great fan of lamb use this instead, tho people will keep telling you its cottage pie, cos cottages look after cows going on the logic of lamb being shepherds pie.

We always had Shepherds Pie, but it was with beef mince, which is apparently wrong but well thats what I got told. If you aren't a great fan of lamb use this instead, tho people will keep telling you its cottage pie, cos cottages look after cows going on the logic of lamb being shepherds pie.
Cottage pie is any dish with a topping of mashed potato that is finished in the oven (originated from peasant cooking here when wheat was expensive and potatoes were cheap) - so Shepherd's Pie, Fish Pie, Red Dragon Pie (which involves red lentils and tomato) and any other combination are all types of Cottage Pies.
Shepherd specifically means someone who herds sheep, it doesn't have to be lamb it could be mutton too :D

OH a hard no on any takeaway food, apparently we can't afford it as well as going out and playing pool which I want to do too, got to have some sort of social/leisure life else you're only existing and not living IMO.

Decided to make Egyptian lentil soup instead (ty sojourner for the recipe all those years ago!) - cheap, comforting, fairly quick, hits the daal bracket that I was looking for.

Cor that were lush, feel like I'm regaining some energy. :)

I really fancy a Big Mac for some reason but probably going to be beer (OH's night off and our regular night for playing pool) and a stir fry with noodles.
Oooh we might get some chips and eat them in the pub. The large portion of chips from our takeaway is massive.
Not eating regularly atm still going through a bit of a mental health thing and CBA to cook (which is really unlike me).
Chips ftw

Cottage pie is any dish with a topping of mashed potato that is finished in the oven (originated from peasant cooking here when wheat was expensive and potatoes were cheap) - so Shepherd's Pie, Fish Pie, Red Dragon Pie (which involves red lentils and tomato) and any other combination are all types of Cottage Pies.
Shepherd specifically means someone who herds sheep, it doesn't have to be lamb it could be mutton too :D
Interesting, so my mum's baked bean pie (which I loved but realise was probably a budget thing at the time) was also cottage pie. So despite eating hundreds of cottages pies I thought I'd had it once.

Back
Top Bottom