Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

An improvised caramelised shallot and feta crumble, with oats/seeds/walnuts in the crumble. Hope it turns out ok. Had a fuckton of shallots that needed using.

Will have with crushed buttered baby spuds, green beans and shredded/steamed white cabbage, with a smidge of veggie gravy.

Carrot cake and a brew.

No fucking idea.
My brain is hopping from chicken curry...(but its a warm day and ...) or beef burgers and fries....(but then greasy frying yuck...) or spaghetti bolognese (but we had pasta yesterday)
Might just roast some chicken breasts and do veg and mash potatoes with gravy.

Which herbs? Marjoram is a good substitute for Mexican oregano - afaik they are both wild small leaved herbs that are more similar to one another than either is to cultivated oregano that we get here under that name. So that makes a good substitute in Mexican cooking in a pinch (deliberate pun!)

In a similar vein, I want to try to grow some Thai basil on my windowsill this year mind, it annoys me having to go to Waitrose (the only half reliable source for it I have found) to buy a small pack when I can probably grow it.
Mexican oregano came to mind immediately but it was more when I had looked at various recipes and gone wtf is that, then found I can't source it anywhere. Planning on doing some raised beds and getting the highest value/most annoying to source things in it. Had the same with thai basil until last year, seems someone locally is growing herbs and I can pick up things like fresh Thai Basil, Rosemary (tho we have a huge bush of this), basil, oregano etc for like 50p in the local shop so its filling in the gaps in between and again what is at Waitrose/Morrisons but not lidl/tesco. Might have a go at herbs and berries mainly, then possibly some Mooli/Daikon, heritage varieties and salad veg since I hate having to have everything arrived on one day then finding when I decide to make whatever it was 3-6 days later that its gone squishy or weird.

Sunday night batch cooking. Big pot of turkey bolognese and an even bigger pot of beef bolognese for me. Bit unconventional but thrown a few cans of chickpeas is mine to bulk it up further and give me more portions. Aldi posh Tagliatelle which is rather nice. :)

Show us your workings. I've got my daughter over for her birthday weej after next and she's 'mostly' veggie these days.
I'll type it up tomorrow mate and post it here.

I am very suspicious of savoury crumbles after a mince one we made at school.
I was a bit sus meself tbh, but the addition of chopped walnuts, mixed seeds and oats made it much different to a sweet one. I did a really thick topping with it too.

I am very suspicious of savoury crumbles after a mince one we made at school.

I had a Cook pot for one: sticky ginger beef with rice noodles and broccoli. Yoghurt and damson jam for pudding.
Those cook pots actually look pretty well put together compared to other things I have seen that were similar. Seem like a proper frozen home cooked meal for when you don't have one available. Not cheap mind but not too bad either, for someone recovering from an illness/whatever they sound ideal if you don't have things in.

Show us your workings. I've got my daughter over for her birthday weej after next and she's 'mostly' veggie these days.
Here you go mate

Shallot, Feta and Bean Crumble

For the filling:
  • Banana shallots – approx 700/800g
  • 3 tbsp olive oil (extra virgin if you have it)
  • 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
  • 4 bay leaves
  • Pack of feta, crumbled
  • 400g tin of black-eyed beans
For the topping:

• 120g plain wholemeal flour (I used white no problem)
  • 70g oats
  • 110g butter
  • Mixed herbs (I used parsley and thyme – 1 tsp each)
  • A large handful of roughly chopped nuts
  • 2 tablespoons of mixed seeds

Heat oven to gas mark 6. Pour boiling water over the shallots to make them easier to peel.

Peel and halve the shallots and put in roasting tin along with the oil, balsamic, bay leaves and a bit of salt and pepper, making sure they are coated. Roast for approx 30 mins, turning halfway through. Allow to cool.

When cool, put in ovenproof dish and mix in crumbled feta and tin of beans along with its juice. Stir well.

Put the flour into a large bowl.

Cut the butter into chunks and rub it into the flour with your fingertips.

When it looks like breadcrumbs add the oats, nuts and seeds plus seasoning and herbs to taste and stir well.

Add topping to the dish before placing in the oven at gas mark 6.

Cook till crisp and starting to brown, about 30 mins, poss 40.

Back
Top Bottom