Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

I’m with dad and his appetite is not what it was so I have to tempt him.
We’re having airfried salmon which is marinating in shaoxing, sesame oil and soy sauce. I’ve made a rice salad to go with it (rice, tomato, sweetcorn, spring onion, cucumber orange pepper all chopped really small) and the dressing is Lidl soy and ginger- this is one of his faves that I make. I’ve prepped everything, waiting for him to wake up so I can cook the salmon, I’m starving.

I'm having a portion of fish pie from the freezer with peas, broccoli and sprouts.
The others are having some sausages I found in the freezer with chips and beans.
I've also randomly roasted some sweet potatoes because I panicked there wouldn't be enough food. :facepalm:

I'm trying very hard to use everything up before I go shopping again.

Last edited:
I think I'm going to go with toad in the hole, roast spuds, peas and onion gravy. Oooh I've also got some sage & onion stuffing balls in the freezer, 1 or 2 of those would be a nice addition. I'll do the spuds with a sprig of rosemary as I picked a load from the rosemary bush in my parents' garden when I visited last week - it isn't at its strongest flavour yet as it is putting energy into flowering, but still lovely - will get some more at the end of summer, I think they want to prune it back quite hard as it's massive so am looking forward to a year of rosemary roasties off the back of the clippings :D

Will make extra individual Yorkshires as I won't need to use all of the batch of batter, and extra roasties for OH to reheat in the morning, he can fry up some veggie sausages to go with if he likes (he prefers individual Yorkshires and sozzies separate over toad in the hole the weirdo, also toad is more difficult to reheat than individual stuff.)

Strange but delicious tea: roasted purple sprouting broccoli (some burnt to a crisp, in a good way), tomato sauce and parmesan. Multigrain crumpet.

Roasted til it's slightly crispy purple sprouting or green tenderstem is very tasty, so yes definitely in a good way (probably not that healthy but a lot of other things aren't either are they)

Do you cook the rice in the oven with everything else sojourner?
Sounds delicious!

We've having chicken in a tomato sauce done in the slow cooker with some stock and orzo added for the last 20 - 30 minutes.

Do you cook the rice in the oven with everything else sojourner?
Sounds delicious!

We've having chicken in a tomato sauce done in the slow cooker with some stock and orzo added for the last 20 - 30 minutes.
The original recipe asks for giant couscous, but I loathe the mouthfeel of it so sub in the brown basmati instead. I just pour over the stock, cover it with tin foil, and bake on its own for 10 mins before adding everything else on top and finishing for 25 mins. It is absolutely delish, and a firm favourite out of all the fancydan recipes in the Quick Roasting Tin book.

It's a very middle class cookery book, most of the recipes contain expensive ingredients. There's another one in there though that calls for tenderstem broccoli, when just normal broccoli is better with it. I need to go through them all again and see what else I can sub in.

If you want the recipe, shout, and I'll take a pic of it for you :)

The original recipe asks for giant couscous, but I loathe the mouthfeel of it so sub in the brown basmati instead. I just pour over the stock, cover it with tin foil, and bake on its own for 10 mins before adding everything else on top and finishing for 25 mins. It is absolutely delish, and a firm favourite out of all the fancydan recipes in the Quick Roasting Tin book.

It's a very middle class cookery book, most of the recipes contain expensive ingredients. There's another one in there though that calls for tenderstem broccoli, when just normal broccoli is better with it. I need to go through them all again and see what else I can sub in.

If you want the recipe, shout, and I'll take a pic of it for you :)

Ooh, there's probably something similar in my quick roasting tin book :D
I shall investigate

I've pulled an all-dayer to try to get back on a diurnal pattern for my volunteering shift tomorrow after a couple of weeks of gradually going to bed later and later (I seem to be on about a 30 hour cycle instead of 24, with 10 hours sleep per 30) - I am not entirely sure that I will be able to cook as am pretty tired, but if I do it will be a chicken lo-mein for me and a veggie version for OH to nuke in the morning. We have carrots, mushrooms, celery, onions and spring onions. Chillies, garlic, ginger, etc etc.

Something in between fried and scrambled eggs because I got distracted in between cracking them into the pan and stirring. Half a pound of lush blue cheese that's been out of the fridge since last night. Fried mushrooms with some slightly past-it salad wilted in at the end.

Back
Top Bottom