Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

I decided I ought to use up the half red cabbage that had been lurking ominously in the fridge for months and it turned out to be fine once trimmed - ditto some red onions, carrots ... chucked in red kidney beans, miso and seaweed ...
Definitely the weather for stew :p

I decided I ought to use up the half red cabbage that had been lurking ominously in the fridge for months and it turned out to be fine once trimmed - ditto some red onions, carrots ... chucked in red kidney beans, miso and seaweed ...
Definitely the weather for stew :p

How long do carrots last in the fridge?
Would you say they'd be ok after 12 weeks ? They look and feel as good as the day they were bought..

How long do carrots last in the fridge?
Would you say they'd be ok after 12 weeks ? They look and feel as good as the day they were bought..

You must have superhero carrots, without other sort of intervention I reckon 4-5 days can be pushing it! Mould, going soggy etc. is the usual.

I use the magic green bags which absorb some gas or another and keeps them fresh for longer, some fridges also now have this technology - I find 4-6 weeks is ok.
I think also if you have somewhere suitable to store them in cool, dark and dry conditions they can last a while - a lot of modern homes lack this but if you live in an older place with a larder or root store (or old coal shed that rats cannot get into) that would be ideal.

But yeah there isn't a use by date on carrots - if they aren't mouldy or disintegrating and smell and taste ok, then they are fine to use. :D

You must have superhero carrots, without other sort of intervention I reckon 4-5 days can be pushing it! Mould, going soggy etc. is the usual.

I use the magic green bags which absorb some gas or another and keeps them fresh for longer, some fridges also now have this technology - I find 4-6 weeks is ok.
I think also if you have somewhere suitable to store them in cool, dark and dry conditions they can last a while - a lot of modern homes lack this but if you live in an older place with a larder or root store (or old coal shed that rats cannot get into) that would be ideal.

But yeah there isn't a use by date on carrots - if they aren't mouldy or disintegrating and smell and taste ok, then they are fine to use. :D
They last for weeks in my fridge

Months in my fridge.
A very few went funny in parts, and some a bit bendy, but still fine for salad.
A few even started to make roots and sprout anaemic-, looking shoots so they must have known it's spring outside !

I don't worry about fungii and bacteria that eat plants as I'm not a plant.

Absolutely delicious Thai food.. varied ethnic food and friends are the only things I miss about London, certainly not the bloody weather… last night tonight and I’ve got a work dinner but sadly it’s sharing platter type food. Might try and squeeze in a quick Middle Eastern lunch tomorrow before I head to the airport

Back
Top Bottom