Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

I think "did you buy your kale on London Bridge" should be the new "are you a friend of Dorothy?"

With a pink carnation in your button hole?

After a really long day at work I went to the local posh fish shop and got cod and large, yes LARGE chips!
:D
I really fancy the last mars bar ice cream for pud but as there's only one I'll have to wait until the boy's not looking...

Made a damn fine chilli but let down by badly cooked rice. No matter how hard I try, I always seem to fuck up when cooking rice. :facepalm:

Top rice cooking tip. 1 cup of rice = 2 cups of water. Put into pan together when cold and cook for approx 20 mins with the lid on all the time. Never fail rice recipe.

Made a damn fine chilli but let down by badly cooked rice. No matter how hard I try, I always seem to fuck up when cooking rice. :facepalm:

I feel your pain - it took me ages to get the hang of cooking rice, despite otherwise being quite a good and adventurous cook, but once you've had that moment of enlightenment and done it well there's no looking back. I use 1:1.5 ratio of rice to water (I find 1:2 ratio can get a bit sloppy with basmati, but for more thick grained types of rice a 1:2 ratio is fine) and measure it all in a jug - so for 6 fluid oz of basmati I use 9 fluid oz of water just boiled in the kettle (or stock if you prefer, or coconut milk) - rice in the pan, water/stock in the pan, put it on high heat until the water starts bubbling then give it a quick stir with a fork so there are no stuck together clumps, then turn the hob right down to the lowest possible heat (your aim is to steam it, not boil the starch out of it!), put on a close fitting lid, and Do Not Disturb for 12 minutes. After that time, check it - it should nearly be done (you can tell if it's ready if you can't see any water, there should be none left in the pan at this point) - turn the hob off, fluff the rice up with a fork, put the lid back on and leave it for another few minutes to fluff up and do the last bit of cooking.

That should give you pretty good rice :)

I used to be awful at rice to until we got a rice cooker (which we only got because of the 2 ring hob situation). They're really worth it.
So the prawncakes from earlier in the week didn't happen cos there were no eggs and then the mash mysteriously disappeared. I did, however, make lamb and lentil moussaka which was yummy. It was a little bit good for you tasting though...but I've been eating so much crap recently that it's high time I get my act together.
Last night was calamari and chicken salad for first tea and a bit of macaroni cheese for second tea.
Tonight we're going to the theatre so not sure...whatever is close to the venue!

Yep - Epona's way is pretty much how I do mine (pretty much exclusively basmati for me, too).

I'm thinking of making a psb, feta and salmon quiche - but it depends if I can be arsed to make the pastry. :rolleyes:

I'm having chilli tonight. I buy the 'easy-cook' rice it's difficult to fuck it up, I can't make normal rice without it ending up a congealed lump :hmm:

Tonight I shall be having a bash at Treya, a spiced chicken and vermicelli recipe from Claudia Rodens' "The Book of Jewish Food: An Odyssey from Samarkand to New York" which looks pretty good.

Quite bland and I didn't realise that by sauce she really meant broth/soup, so it was too dry. And I forgot to use the aspergers again, which go out of date today. They're From Mexico, the well known anti-zionist state in Central America, at least I think thats what Sheo said. I'm going to really feel guilty now if we don't eat them.

No idea about tonight, Mrs R was going out on the lash, but is now home in bed poorly.

i don't understand why everyone finds rice so hard? :confused:

not enough room in my head to work out tea yet, i haven't sorted lunch, although a fuckton of drugs is sounding pretty tempting...

Quite bland and I didn't realise that by sauce she really meant broth/soup, so it was too dry. And I forgot to use the aspergers again, which go out of date today. They're From Mexico, the well known anti-zionist state in Central America, at least I think thats what Sheo said. I'm going to really feel guilty now if we don't eat them.

I think you should send them to my mum. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom