Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

i was almost tempted to buy some white asparagus I saw in the supermarket yesterday as it's what you get here apparently... hmmm.... do you think you just cook it the same? it looks a bit more substantial that our tender, delicate green shoots, so I think it would probably need cooked a bit longer?

anyway, had a typical veg and smoked tofu stir fry with rice last night.

tonight will be cauliflower and egg curry - not made it before so it's quite exciting...

White asparagus is DELICIOUS. It's slightly more subtle in taste than green, and a great seasonal speciality in Deutschland. It's best served very simply, with just melted butter or maybe hollandaise sauce if you feel like it (I prefer plain butter). Given that you're a veggie I'd just have it as a starter, 3-4 spears per person will do. Chop off any woody bits and boil/steam till tender. As a main course we used to have it with boiled potatoes and the German equivalent of proscuitto, the name of which temporarily escapes me. Ooooh I'm jealous. You can get it here but the air miles/price is just too much.

I made a veggie pie (served with mash), and was very pleased with my pastry - I don't make shortcrust pastry very often and am not so much into the baking side of cooking, so I was extremely happy to find that my shortcrust skills were still intact :)

White asparagus is DELICIOUS. It's slightly more subtle in taste than green, and a great seasonal speciality in Deutschland. It's best served very simply, with just melted butter or maybe hollandaise sauce if you feel like it (I prefer plain butter). Given that you're a veggie I'd just have it as a starter, 3-4 spears per person will do. Chop off any woody bits and boil/steam till tender. As a main course we used to have it with boiled potatoes and the German equivalent of proscuitto, the name of which temporarily escapes me. Ooooh I'm jealous. You can get it here but the air miles/price is just too much.

mmmm, will get some soon then :)

tonight will be a veggie sushi selection from M&S as I'm back in the UK for 2 weeks! woop!

Omelettes last night, mine with leeks his with mushrooms. Tonight is some made up chicken, leek and mushrooms in creme fraiche with something, broccoli maybe and a little pasta?

Last night I discovered that salmon fish cakes are a bit minging. Fittingly I also forgot to cook the aspergers. :D

Tonight I shall be having a bash at Treya, a spiced chicken and vermicelli recipe from Claudia Rodens' "The Book of Jewish Food: An Odyssey from Samarkand to New York" which looks pretty good.

Blimey, I've just got a £2000 tax rebate in my pay packet, maybe we'll just have champagne and spliffs.

Blimey, I've just got a £2000 tax rebate in my pay packet, maybe we'll just have champagne and spliffs.

How the fuck did you manage to get a rebate that big?? Nice one anyway (not in the least bit jealous :mad:)

Erm...on me own toneet so poached smoked river cobbler, poached egg, chips and peas

Trying to decide if I want alcohol or not. Being very good lately. Not sure 'good' is very 'me' though

i decided to skip lunch as I had a late brekkie
so my dinner is now going to consist of veggie sushi AND a few pints :D hooray!

Right, that does it. Tother half, daughter, and now YOU are all bloody well drinking tonight

I am going to drink now too. I have perfect justification :cool:

How the fuck did you manage to get a rebate that big?? Nice one anyway (not in the least bit jealous :mad:)

Turns it out it was £1000, the rest was overtime and on call pay from Xmas they hadn't paid out before. Still, it's all good :)

i made my own cheese and tomato sandwich for my, er, dea today (about half an hour ago, so neither dinner nor tea)

Celeriac chips eh? Hmmmmmmmm.... I do have some celeriac that needs using up.

Oooh. Entirely nom.

Celeriac chips? :hmm: I have celeriac and no idea what to do with it...
It tastes a bit like parsnip when its roasted/baked/oven-chipped, not quite as sweet, but they are yum and a good chip substitute (I'm on a chip ban atm :D).

Heat oven to 200-220C
Chop celeriac into chip size pieces
Toss in tbsp of oil with whatever spices you want (I used salt, pepper, cumin and paprika)
Put on baking tray and in the oven for 30-40mins

One recipe said parboil them - I didn't bother :)

View attachment 14520

Back
Top Bottom