Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

I have a pre cooked pouch of beluga lentils by merchant gourmet and got them out the other week to eat instead of puy lentils but the blurb on the pack made them sound like a salad lentil?

Puy lentils are often called salad lentils, 'cos they're about the only lentil which retains its shape and a bit of bite when cooked instead of going mushy, making them perfect for salads. Sounds like beluga might be a decent replacement then, give it a go.

Dunno, the rest of the family are going away to Kent, I'm going to a party in deepest Dorset, so something quick before getting in the car. Probably chips. Maybe a saveloy, can't remember what they taste like. Or a battered sausage. Not a rough meat pie.

Looking forward to a weekend of fry ups, beer and pub grub. Lunch in the Star & Garter in Worth Matravers tomorrow should be a highlight.

We are having another 70's REVIVAL DINNER - boil in the bag cod in butter sauce (I used to LOVE them! :D And again, kids have never tried them!) with new potatoes and sugar snap peas.

sugar snap peas hadn't been invented in the 70s sheo :( in fact i think that was pre-petits pois too :eek: cod in butter sauce is lush, parsley sauce is all kinds of wrong.

we're having takeout probably, noodles/sushi i fancy.

sugar snap peas hadn't been invented in the 70s sheo :( in fact i think that was pre-petits pois too :eek: cod in butter sauce is lush, parsley sauce is all kinds of wrong.

we're having takeout probably, noodles/sushi i fancy.

Tbf it absolutely should be with bog standard frozen peas* - you're quite right :( - but UNFORTUNATELY - I have some fresh sugar snap peas to use. We'll have two left though so I will endeavour to do them with peas the next time, for the proper *butter sauce drowned peas* experience. :cool:

You're right about parsley sauce, too - gruesome filth - YUCK! :mad: MUST BE butter!

*in fact my mum had an allotment in the 70's, so we had ALL SORTS of veg available :-p - but I still only remember ever having had it with frozen peas hehe!

Leg of lamb, chopped in half before searing, then coooked in the slowcooker with garlic, onions, herbs and a bottle of real ale from a St. Austell brewery (Tribute). Definitely won't have to cook again for a couple of days :)

i really want sesame prawn toast (due to mrsfrans post^^) with spring rolls, prawn crakers and chow mein, although as i type this i might have changed my mind to sweet and sour something or other.....

:oops:

Last night I went to Negril on Brixton Hill - we had booked and got served really quickly.

Four of us shared two platters: one was chicken and pumpkin curries and the other was a selection of everything. The curries came in small bowls, you barely got a mouthful but the pumpkin was tender (almost slushy , and Irish stylee 'cooked the bejaysus out of') yet the sauce was delicious, the no frills chicken curry was also pretty good. Served with delicately spiced nutty rice and (black peas) on the side along with coleslaw and a simple green and pepper salad. The jerk chicken was delicious and is probably their signature dish, the marinade was spicy and sticky and I believe they use free range chicken, it was very good quality.

We shared chips (tasted oveny but nice for dipping in possibly shop bought but delicious gravy) and excellent baked sweet potatoes, odd (but tasty) fish fritters (they did not taste of fish, more like fluffy potato in crispy coating) perfect for dipping in the mango chutney, hot sauces and coleslaw. The 'BYO' bottle is distinctly deceptive as we trundled in hungrily and cheerfully with a bottle of cava and rose, to read that they'd charge £2.50 per person to drink...which is pretty stiff! I didnt really care, but the others found that off, so we had one bottle...staff were busy but lovely. Dessert was a tasty (but disappointingly soggy) rum and raisin stodgy pudding with lashings of dark rum and cream on the sides. As a massive fan of liquor-laced desserts, I was beaming. Their blue mountain coffee was absolutely tremendous.

Beef curry. I cooked it yesterday as the meat was about to turn. I've used a jar sauce :eek: Might do a dhal for it.

i haven't seen the menu yet

oh i seee. Let us know what you eat.

im making one of my all time favourite dinners that I often crave an dream about, pasta carbonara. Unlike some deceptively simple to make meals (like pasta with garlic oil and chilli), this one is almost foolproof. Tonights version will be megalazy, got the fresh egg tagliatelle, chopped pancetta, cream (not eggs), and extra mature cheddar (Cathedral), which works just as well as parmesan, and freshly ground red and black pepper. I cannot resist adding a garlic clove and half an onion. I really love them with carbonara, although even done with cheapish bacon and egg yolks, its a winner.

:D

I am CRYING for your dinner, rors! :(

We're having crispy chinese pork belly, with rice and sugar snaps/broc/green beans in some oyster/soy sauce (Sainsburys had NO PAK CHOI yesterday! :mad: :( ).

Got a shitty Aunt Bessies apple and blackberry pie and some single cream for pudding.

just the one tea tonight numbers? :D
Only the 1 Friday, yes...

But today is a different story, it's my b/day tomorrow so today my missus is making my 2 fav' foods. Spaghetti and meatballs (with Mafia sauce) and baked chicken with macaroni cheese - got some soda bread, red leicester and 2 cans of Cherry coke too.

2 teas again. :cool:

Only the 1 Friday, yes...

But today is a different story, it's my b/day tomorrow so today my missus is making my 2 fav' foods. Spaghetti and meatballs (with Mafia sauce) and baked chicken with macaroni cheese - got some soda bread, red leicester and 2 cans of Cherry coke too.

2 teas again. :cool:

ACE missus! :D :cool: :D HB for tom, tone! x :cool:

Lemon roast chicken on a risotto of leeks(from my garden) ,peas and cabbage.
Although I'm not sure how I'll cook the risotto as the boy has just fallen asleep on my lap....

Goan beef and potato curry. It wants a good hour on the hob really but it ain't gonna get it. Smells ace. :cool: It's my approximation of a dish I used to eat all the time. Aloo summat. Given that I can't even remember it's name, it's unsurprising that the ingredients have been made up as I go along. Still looks good though.

heh i read that as "last meal" :eek:

didn't go out in the end. pasta, tomato & chorizo sauce. mr bob's cooking's come on in leaps and bounds lately :cool:

Back
Top Bottom