Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

Tofu stir-fry and brown rice tonight.
I'm going to have another go at cooking brown rice, my last attempt wasn't that good :(

I normally cook (white) rice by heating a little oil in a pan, adding the rice, quick stir, add as much boiling water as there is rice, covering the pan and turning the heat right down and cooking for 10 mins.
I know that brown rice needs a longer cooking time so could I use this method?
Perhaps with more water?
How do you do yours?

i just boil both kinds in loads of water. often i'll drain them before they're quite done and leave em sit with the lid on for 10 minutes or so. brown rice takes forever to cook, like 25-30 minutes.

i just boil both kinds in loads of water. often i'll drain them before they're quite done and leave em sit with the lid on for 10 minutes or so. brown rice takes forever to cook, like 25-30 minutes.

Ahh, last time I ended up with soggy, waterlogged rice, but I think this may solve the problem.
Cheers Bob :)

Day off today, I mean I'm on strike - hands off our pensions, power to the people, etc.

Got up early to make Mrs R fresh coffee and a bacon sandwich before work. Toast and marmite for the tiddler.

Lunch - sSalade Nicoise. Never eaten this before, first time tasting anchovies, but reckon I cracked it anyway, delicious.

Dinner/tea - Chicken, rosemary and pancetta patties with creamed potato.

Day off today, I mean I'm on strike - hands off our pensions, power to the people, etc.

Got up early to make Mrs R fresh coffee and a bacon sandwich before work. Toast and marmite for the tiddler.

Lunch - sSalade Nicoise. Never eaten this before, first time tasting anchovies, but reckon I cracked it anyway, delicious.

Wow - you're really going for it, eh?! :D It's proving very exciting to read, too! :cool: Like a small baby taking its first steps in the big world of MEAT! :D

Son's at his dad's tonight and daughter's going to a friends and I won't get her back here till after half six, so it'll just be a quick round of beans on toast (with a cheese slice - ON TOP!) before her bath, then maybe an apple and a biscuit after!

Wow - you're really going for it, eh?! :D It's proving very exciting to read, too! :cool: Like a small baby taking its first steps in the big world of MEAT! :D

Sheo - that conjured up an image of a baby wearing meat slippers - wrong :D

Yep, I am enjoying myself though. Spent years reading recipes and wondering what they tasted like and how I could adapt them to veggie cookery. Now I can just have a go and eat them.

Biddly - this is a case in point, it's impossible to read Nigel Slater's recipes without wanting to try them and this is one of his from The Kitchen Diaries. Just found it on the Guardian site:

Chicken patties with (or without) gorgonzola and rosemary

There are two possibilities here. Either serve the patties as they are, dry-fried in a non-stick pan till golden (in which case serve them with quarters of lemon) or stuff them with blue cheese and bake them instead. Whether you take the simple or the rich route, you end up with the most savoury little 'burgers' imaginable.

serves 3-4

a medium onion

garlic - 2 cloves

butter - 25g

cubed pancetta - 100g

rosemary - 3 bushy sprigs

minced chicken

for the optional stuffing:

gorgonzola - 75g

chicken stock - 250ml

Peel the onion and garlic and chop finely, then let them soften and colour lightly in the butter. Stir in the small cubes of pancetta. Strip the rosemary leaves from their stalks, chop finely then add them to the onion mixture, letting them cook for a few minutes till coloured. Let the mixture cool a little.

Add the minced chicken and season generously with black pepper and a little salt (the pancetta and gorgonzola will both contribute to the seasoning). Set the oven at 190 c/gas 5. Now, to make the simple patty, shape the mixture into six little burgers, about the size of a digestive biscuit, leave to settle for half an hour, then fry in a non-stick pan for 4 or 5 minutes each side and serve with lemon. Or, if you want something richer, make the stuffed patties.

Take a heaped tablespoon of the chicken mixture and push a hollow in it with your thumb. Tip a heaped teaspoon of cheese into the hollow then cover it with a second tablespoon of chicken mixture. Squash gently to form a patty and place on a baking sheet. Continue with this till you have used up the mixture - you will have about six - then refrigerate for 20-30 minutes.

Heat up a non-stick frying pan. When hot, brown the patties on both sides, a matter of three minutes on each, then transfer them to an oven-proof dish. Pour in the stock and bake for 25-30 minutes, till the patties are sizzling and the stock is bubbling. Serve two to three patties per person and spoon over some of the hot chicken stock.

From Nigel Slater's top 10 greatest autumn hits:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2004/oct/10/foodanddrink.recipes

Thank you ringo, they do sound lovely. I bought Kitchen Diaries for my brother a few years back and love flicking through it when I go to see him :)

I wonder if the butcher will mince chicken? :hmm:

I think we've swapped kitchens lately :)

Ha - I know :D Was thinking that tother day! How is the meat-eating going? Does it feel really heavy in your belly and is it making you fart terrible? :D I barely eat any meat now and it makes me feel 'funny' when I do.

Changed me mind now anyhow - fancy chips n egg n mushy peas instead :cool:

burrito.jpg

Ha - I know :D Was thinking that tother day! How is the meat-eating going? Does it feel really heavy in your belly and is it making you fart terrible? :D I barely eat any meat now and it makes me feel 'funny' when I do.

Still feels a bit odd, not so much the chicken and fish but the red meat feels really heavy and fatty. Good fun at the moment 'cos its such a change to the shopping, planning, cooking and eating, but also nice to go back to a few veggie favourites inbetween. I think things will settle down a little bit just because I'd rather eat good meat infrequently than rubbish stuff all the time. Of courde I might change my mind next week and succumb to one of Mrs R's doners :D

Oh, mac cheese! Bee you temptress! I think I might have to make that on Saturday to go with some gammon steaks.
Tonight we had beef, broccoli and green bean stir fry in an oyster and spring onion sauce with noodles.
Might have a mars bar ice cream when I get back from being a dutiful daughter...

my mum had to rescue tea :oops: made up the sauce but i had a duff batch of tomatoes (ruined my last spag bol now i remember) that were stupidly acidic, would have been a waste of my lovely lamb. couldn't persuade kids to tescos to replace tomato sauce stuff, phoned my mum in despair and she made us another sauce and dropped it off. mums are ace :cool:

(of course after all that kid2 turned her nose up at it ... )

I feel terrible :(

I had a sneaky dinner, and my missus will be home at about 8 so we'll eat our planned dinner about 8:30, but I've been home for ages and was so hungry I already had dinner (pasta with chicken pitta sandwich) but I'm gonna keep it to myself cos I don't wish to spoil the dinner we were both looking forward to (salmon).

Fucking weed :)

Smash the State :D :D

Chilli con carne, rice and salad (I need the fucking vitamins after last weekend :eek::oops:) with 3 squares of fruit and nut for pudding :)

Blimey Ringo, that's not so much baby steps away from vegetarianism as confident loping strides. Fairplay chap - you sound like you're enjoying yourself.

Tonight's a lazy casserole from the freezer stores - we've had a mate around repairing the boiler. Thankfully not too much mess or horrific expense.

I feel terrible :(

I had a sneaky dinner, and my missus will be home at about 8 so we'll eat our planned dinner about 8:30, but I've been home for ages and was so hungry I already had dinner (pasta with chicken pitta sandwich) but I'm gonna keep it to myself cos I don't wish to spoil the dinner we were both looking forward to (salmon).

Fucking weed :)

:D

Did you manage to eat both dinners Numbers?

Still feels a bit odd, not so much the chicken and fish but the red meat feels really heavy and fatty. Good fun at the moment 'cos its such a change to the shopping, planning, cooking and eating, but also nice to go back to a few veggie favourites inbetween. I think things will settle down a little bit just because I'd rather eat good meat infrequently than rubbish stuff all the time. Of courde I might change my mind next week and succumb to one of Mrs R's doners :D

Yeh, I was like that anyway.

I find red meat really quite difficult to digest now - still eat it on occasion mind. I love how light most veggie food feels in my belly - and I actually lost weight without even doing anything!

Urgh - doners. Good when pissed up! ;):D

Well, tonight we shall be dining on a selection of veggie curries, dhal and naan breads, as I took a shedload of leftover homemade spinach and potato curry plus loads of bits and bobs from the last takeaway out of the freezer this morning. mmMMMM

I love getting the remnents of my last Indian take-away out of the freezer as it always feels like free & easy food. We order that little bit extra so we get 2 good meals out of our order.

Tonight I'm having a shop bought red pepper tortollini with a Jamie sauce (can't stand the LG ones as too oily) and salad from a bag. I'm off for a weeks holiday AI tomorrow morning so easy dinner.

Oh, mac cheese! Bee you temptress! I think I might have to make that on Saturday to go with some gammon steaks.
Oh, that's not what I had, I had a tiny bowl of museli :D I'm just thinking of things for ringo to cook now he's eating meat :)

lol @ Numbers two teas :D

Bit of a disaster with this, the cooling butter held the patties together right up until I put them back in the pan, then the butter melted and they disintegrated. Work mate reckons cooked chicken never binds, you have to use uncooked mince. Learning one dinner at a time, tasted great anyway.

On a more positive note, I managed to tighten the spring on my mouli so that it now mills a whole pan of potato in 30 seconds without falling apart. Once the milk and butter had been beaten in it made the best creamed potato I've ever eaten.

Back
Top Bottom