Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

No, I tried some at an Egyptian place on Sunday. It will be my first ever attempt at cooking it though.

No, I tried some at an Egyptian place on Sunday. It will be my first ever attempt at cooking it though.

Thinking about it, I reckon I only ever cooked things like sausages, bacon, burgers and other ready to go meat products as a teenager. Have a plan to buy a decent chicken and roast it on Sunday, so that will be be my first ever attempt at prepping/butchering and cooking any meat, and making soup/leftover stuff and stock with it after. No wonder I feel slightly at sea with it. I sat and read some of the meat section of Leiths Techniques last night to try and get my head around what to do. I'll be as nervous as the contestants on Master Chef were last night trying to cook a vegetarian meal for Yotam Ottelenghi. It's very exciting, literally learning to cook again because it's so different.

Thinking about it, I reckon I only ever cooked things like sausages, bacon, burgers and other ready to go meat products as a teenager. Have a plan to buy a decent chicken and roast it on Sunday, so that will be be my first ever attempt at prepping/butchering and cooking any meat, and making soup/leftover stuff and stock with it after. No wonder I feel slightly at sea with it. I sat and read some of the meat section of Leiths Techniques last night to try and get my head around what to do. I'll be as nervous as the contestants on Master Chef were last night trying to cook a vegetarian meal for Yotam Ottelenghi. It's very exciting, literally learning to cook again because it's so different.
That's quite exciting ringo :) hope tonight's meal is nice. (which Egyptian place? - I love arabic food :oops:).

With your roast I'd go for a bird that doesn't need much prep - and you shouldn't need to do much butchering (unless you want to of course). Also Leiths should show you where the oysters are on the chicken (near the shoulders) - those are for the cook, and are delicious ;)

That would be 1 egg white/1 tbs cornflour and 1 tbs rice wine too if you have it (otherwise just leave that out). Then just stick the chopped up chicken in for half an hour or so.

That would be 1 egg white/1 tbs cornflour and 1 tbs rice wine too if you have it (otherwise just leave that out). Then just stick the chopped up chicken in for half an hour or so.

Velveting sounds rude, but now I see what you mean. Ta, I'll give that a go.

That's quite exciting ringo :) hope tonight's meal is nice. (which Egyptian place? - I love arabic food :oops:).

With your roast I'd go for a bird that doesn't need much prep - and you shouldn't need to do much butchering (unless you want to of course). Also Leiths should show you where the oysters are on the chicken (near the shoulders) - those are for the cook, and are delicious ;)

It was The Casbah in Penge, every dish was nice. Actually they could have been Algerian, I didn't ask.

Yep, I guess not too much to do with a chicken, though I've never heard of the oysters so I'll look that one up, ta much.

I'm all ears, though I was considering following the Leiths method first.

Aye, no worries. Maybe stash it for another day!

You will need:

Whole chicken

Basil
Dill
Tarragon
Lemon pepper
Salt
Garlic
Butter (I normally use about just over half a standard pack)

Let butter come to room temp so you can handle it. Put butter, crushed garlic and herbs (rough cut) into a bowl and mix. Add some salt and lemon pepper and mix again. If the chickens legs are tied up, undo this but make sure you have some chef string or reuse what was there, this helps the chicken cook evenly when you put it in to roast. Then what you need to do is slip your fingers under the skin on each breast (ohh errr) lifting the skin from the meat but being careful not to tear it. Try and get the skin loose around the legs also. Once you have, spoon the butter/herb mix under the skin and use your fingers on top to push the butter along making sure the breast and leg cavity areas are filled.

When the chicken cooks the butter will keep it tender and the herbs will flavour it! I normally rub a bit of olive oil and salt over the outside of the chicken to crisp up the skin while it roasts.

When it's cooked, as I let the chicken rest I pour off any excess fat, add flour and make a roux, then make a pan gravy with chicken stock/fond on the bottom of the roasting tin.

It was The Casbah in Penge, every dish was nice. Actually they could have been Algerian, I didn't ask.

Yep, I guess not too much to do with a chicken, though I've never heard of the oysters so I'll look that one up, ta much.
I'll have a look, ta :)

On the move for an early start to the weekend, so it's seekh kebabs in a naan and veg pakora from the the Punjab Grill Centre in Bradford for me. Yum

Back
Top Bottom