Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

Quick tea of a Heston mushroom and spinach pie, spuds and cauli. And a little Gu chocolate pot.

We had Japanese braised pork belly with white rice and broccoli last night. It was really easy and very very delicious :)

Tonight, a LOT of carbonara. Feeling sick.

Oi moose - do you make your own rosti? If so, got a good method?

Tonight we shall be dining on mushroom and cheese frittata, chips, mixed salad, and sliced vine toms in olive oil.

The scones/cream/jam were sooooo good am considering getting more. Nearly broke my fucking arm though whipping it - took AGES! :mad:

Oi moose - do you make your own rosti? If so, got a good method?

:D

soj - what I was going to suggest is something I've linked to before.
It's NOT a rosti, tbf :facepalm: but IS very nice :D and I'm thinking you could at least adapt the potato prep bit to make a rosti (and if it got all burnt on the outside just do it on a much lower heat?). IT does get a bit gluey when you grate it tbf, but is manageable with some gentle handling.

Otherwise, for rosti, don't you generally grate them RAW but then squeeze out as much liquid as you can in a tea towel?

It's DELIA (SHIELD YOUR EYES, tarannau!!! :eek: )......http://www.greedygourmet.com/2010/02/03/potato-courgette-feta-cakes-with-mint/ (you could very easily leave out the courgette/feta/spring onions if you wanted a pure potato hit too - although they're lovely with it all in)

Pretty sure I've got a good rosti recipe in Leiths Vegetarain Bible, I'll dig it out later and have a look.

Daughter's friend is coming over and they're going to have the retro classic....alphabetti spaghetti on toast! :D
My daughter has never had A.S. before and is VERY EXCITED, lol!

Banana/berry ice cream milkshakes for pudding.

I've got the last portion (other than one more HUGE tub in the freezer) of butternut coconut curry with the last of the spinach and coriander and some leftover chicken added....and a toasted pitta.

Dunno if my son'll go for either of those :hmm: so will see what he fancies when he gets back.

:D

soj - what I was going to suggest is something I've linked to before.
It's NOT a rosti, tbf :facepalm: but IS very nice :D and I'm thinking you could at least adapt the potato prep bit to make a rosti (and if it got all burnt on the outside just do it on a much lower heat?). IT does get a bit gluey when you grate it tbf, but is manageable with some gentle handling.

Otherwise, for rosti, don't you generally grate them RAW but then squeeze out as much liquid as you can in a tea towel?

It's DELIA (SHIELD YOUR EYES, tarannau!!! :eek: )......http://www.greedygourmet.com/2010/02/03/potato-courgette-feta-cakes-with-mint/ (you could very easily leave out the courgette/feta/spring onions if you wanted a pure potato hit too - although they're lovely with it all in)

Ah, you make loads of these don't you sheo? So, do you grate them raw for this then as well?

And do you do all that faff with the salt?! This looks like a tasty thing to make actually, might try and make them as the recipe says.

e2a - thanks :)

Pretty sure I've got a good rosti recipe in Leiths Vegetarain Bible, I'll dig it out later and have a look.

cheers ears

Daughter's friend is coming over and they're going to have the retro classic....alphabetti spaghetti! :D
My daughter has never had A.S. before and is VERY EXCITED, lol!

Your daughter has never had alphabetti spaghetti on toast?

NSPCC-LOGO2.jpg

I do make loads, yes! :D Especially at *THAT* time of year! :mad:

If you READ THE RECIPE :p you will see that you parboil for 8 minutes, precisely (! :D ) - that's a whole baking potato - so don't cut it up first (or peel it in fact, till afterwards!).

The salt stuff is no faff - grate courgettes (blender is easier if you have one with a grater setting) - stick in a colander, shove loads of salt over - leave a while and squeeze out.
Btw, I quite often do them with less courgette and FAR LESS feta, too - so yeah, much more *potato cake* style.
And I do them for longer quite often too - just cook them till they look crusty enough for your tastes (or make some thicker and some fatter for different textures in the end :cool: ).

I do make loads, yes! :D Especially at *THAT* time of year! :mad:

If you READ THE RECIPE :p you will see that you parboil for 8 minutes, precisely (! :D ) - that's a whole baking potato - so don't cut it up first (or peel it in fact, till afterwards!).

The salt stuff is no faff - grate courgettes (blender is easier if you have one with a grater setting) - stick in a colander, shove loads of salt over - leave a while and squeeze out.
Btw, I quite often do them with less courgette and FAR LESS feta, too - so yeah, much more *potato cake* style.
And I do them for longer quite often too - just cook them till they look crusty enough for your tastes (or make some thicker and some fatter for different textures in the end :cool: ).

I fuckin well DID read it - but you said before that, that you didn't. So fun you.

Mmm, the faffing is putting me off tbh. Perhaps a weekend jobby.

i'm not sure I understand what the difficulty with rosti is... I don't think I follow any recipe. Grate potato, salt, squeeze out water. Add finely sliced onion if I feel like it... sometimes I add an egg, or flour to bind, but neither are particularly necessary. form little balls. put in frying pan with hot oil and press down into patties.... fry on both sides until brown...

and here's a link to a recipe

i'm not sure I understand what the difficulty with rosti is... I don't think I follow any recipe. Grate potato, salt, squeeze out water. Add finely sliced onion if I feel like it... sometimes I add an egg, or flour to bind, but neither are particularly necessary. form little balls. put in frying pan with hot oil and press down into patties.... fry on both sides until brown...

and here's a link to a recipe

I parboiled the spuds first, and they turned into a fucking horrible starchy mess when I mandolined them, then into a further unguent burned mess when I fried them.

I will try not parboiling then, thanks for link :)

Do you mean that?^^^ :hmm:

Well yeah, cos that's for rosti's innit - but this recipe isn't rosti's - do you get me? :facepalm:

LOOK SOJ, just THROW THE POTATOES IN THE BIN and GET DOWN THE FUCKIN CHIPPY, will ya?! :mad:

I parboiled the spuds first, and they turned into a fucking horrible starchy mess when I mandolined them, then into a further unguent burned mess when I fried them.

I will try not parboiling then, thanks for link :)
Mandoline/chop/grate first, then parboil :)

Um, think it's the cumin, coriander and lemon. It was just named that by someone on the net. Recipe here (piece of piss to make and dirt cheap):

Egyptian Lentil Soup

Ingredients

2 Onions
4 tbsp Olive oil
2 Garlic cloves, crushed
2 tsp Cumin
1 tsp Ground coriander
250g Split red lentils
1.5 litres Veg stock
Lemon juice (to taste)

Method

1. Chop onions and fry in olive oil until soft and just beginning to colour. Stir in the garlic, cumin and coriander. Rinse lentils and add with the stock. Bring to the boil and remove any scum that appears on the surface. Simmer for 30–40 minutes, or until the lentils have disintegrated.
2. Taste and season the soup. Add the lemon juice before serving (a bit at a time until it’s to your tastes).

it's so incredibly simple and so tasty - become a favourite already with me. the lemon juice REALLY makes it, imo

how many portions do you get out of this - i'm making it just now and it looks like an awful lot :eek: I'm going to be eating it for weeks :D

This thread has made me :D a lot today

Fish pie for us tonight, with a sliced potato top (cos the boy doesn't like mash), served with mange tout and cabbage.

Do you mean that?^^^

Well yeah, cos that's for rosti's innit - but this recipe isn't rosti's - do you get me?

LOOK SOJ, just THROW THE POTATOES IN THE BIN and GET DOWN THE FUCKIN CHIPPY, will ya?!
fuck off sheo :mad:

Mandoline/chop/grate first, then parboil

Wrongness of the first order I'm afraid. Tsk.

no need for any parboiling. grate, squeeze, fry
See? SEE? This is why I asked for a tried and tested - all over the fucking net there are different versions :mad:

how many portions do you get out of this - i'm making it just now and it looks like an awful lot :eek: I'm going to be eating it for weeks :D

Erm, quite a lot. Good for freezing for lunches though eh? And, have to say, we do eat humungous amounts :D

Back
Top Bottom