Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

Egyptian lentil soup, and I had a hankering to make potato rosti, having always wanted a go, but never possessing a mandolin

Spent quite a while swearing at the mandolin thing cos no instructions and it's fucking hard to try and put together if you're as clumsy as me

Checked 5 different recipes - split of opinion over whether to parboil or not, went for parboil They turned into a starchy mess when using the mandolin

Then they turned into a burned starchy unguent mess when I tried to cook them, using medium high heat with olive oil

Quite disappointed tbh. Anyone got a tried and tested recipe?

Am wondering if I used too much butter - 100g to 600g of spuds

fuck, it's turned into a sheo post

Rosti's a bit of a pig to make tbh, although once you get a few tried and tested tips it becomes pretty reliable. Find that mostly parcooked potatoes work well (to the point of just tender), particularly if you can remember to cook them the night before and refrigerate the bastards. More waxy potatoes help too - charlottes, cyprus that kind of thing.

Rosti's a bit of a pig to make tbh, although once you get a few tried and tested tips it becomes pretty reliable. Find that mostly parcooked potatoes work well (to the point of just tender), particularly if you can remember to cook them the night before and refrigerate the bastards. More waxy potatoes help too - charlottes, cyprus that kind of thing.

Waxy potatoes. That must definitely be a factor - I used Maris Piper.

Am actually glad to hear this from you re being a pig to make. I thought it might be a bit faffy, but not this much.

Cooking night before and refrigerating...check. Will try that. Cheers mate :)

Sure it'll be fine next time - it's more just a process of getting the right heat and pan then.

Anyway, tonight the missus is marking the end of National Pie week with a massive steak, mushroom, guinness and cheese number. The filling alone looks flaming lovely as it bubbles away in the oven now.

News from here - the small girl AND the boy LIKE CAULI CHEESE!!!!! *sets off fireworks* :cool: :cool:

She said 'OH MY GOD - It's JUST like broccoli!'

Well, yeah, sorta!

(Why didn't I think of telling her that? :facepalm: )

Oh my god...fish, chips and cauliflower!!!!! would you really Sheo?

& in the end I had to cook my own doughy roast dinner due to BF being hungover...so I was too lazy for making mash but made plenty of roasties. Feeling a lil bit squiffy due to red wine intake and wishing I had pudding.

i dont know! i was expecting to be at work till 11 tonight but i threw up rather impressively over my boss so got send home early. feel fine and very hungry now so i am debating takeaway :cool:

You'd love it Biddly. :)

Pone is not a pudding, not a cake, but something somewhere in between, today they made 2 types, 1 with cassava and 1 with cornmeal. They also made heavy bread, which is like hard dough bread, but sweeter. Guyanese stylee.

We didn't have cook up tho', the ma-in-law done a salt fish dish instead with rice and pea and roast potatoes.

I'm wonderfully stuffed.
Sounds like a proper foody weekend :)

We didn't have the keema in the end, were still stuffed from breakfast, so have 6 portions in the freezer for a lazy cooking night.

Not sure - on my own tonight so probably leftover bloody Mexican-style pulled pork AGAIN, in corn tortillas with guacamole and sour cream and stuff. :(
Why the sad face, that sounds quite nice.

Roast loin of pork and crackling (hopefully) with roast tatties, carrots, beetroot and wilted beetroot leaves and stalks :cool:
ooh, home grown beetroots?

Oh my god...fish, chips and cauliflower!!!!! would you really Sheo?
I would :D

have a real nice fresh chicken from farmer's market.
unsure whether to boil or roast it...

so it's a chicken for me tonight.

Might try and convince my other half that we should go to Byron Burger for tea, since we'll be near one.

Beef and red wine casserole with sprouts and either carrots or green beans. Then finish off the meringues, raspberries and (low fat) cream afterwards!

Ooo just got some scones, so them with good strawberry jam (or conserve as it's apparently called) and some whipped cream. Wanted clotted cream but couldn't find any :rolleyes:

Jacket spud night tonight.
I think I may have my current favourite topping of tuna/mayo/wasabi/capers - loads of salad on the side.

Beef kebabs with loads of jalapeno, salad and a mug of tea. I've just had to fix my tumble dryer so the slightly more elaborate tea I had planned can wait until tomorrow night.

no idea. possibly scrambled egg and mushrooms, possibly a bowl of cereal and a couple of glasses of wine :cool:

i really fancy some dirty greasy burger with chips and mayo so scrambled egg might be a rotten substitute

Rice an pea with corned beef - fried with garlic, red onion, mixed veg (supposed to have been made by now but I've been on the PS3 for the last 3 hours :oops:)

We have a shit load of beef chilli from y/day so may have a bit of that too before we freeze it.

Back
Top Bottom