Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

packet dumplings? i prefer them to my homemade ones

No, packet breadcrumbs. I like making dumplings.

This is the recipe:
100g self-raising flour , plus extra for dusting
100g fresh white breadcrumbs
1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
140g butter , cubed
2 tsp fresh thyme leaves
2 tbsp fresh parsley , chopped
2 medium eggs , lightly beaten

Could I get away with packet breadcrumbs in that?
If not I might have to do something else :(

Hmm, the recipie I want calls for fresh breadcrumbs and I don't have any stale bread or a food processor.
Any one know a cheat?

Go to the Portuguese deli (on Atlantic) and ask for some breadcrumbs. Pretty sure Nunes would sort you out too if you asked nicely

What's all this stir fries are disappointing lark like? It's a bloody cooking technique, not a generic recipe set - it's like dissing grilling or something.

Stir fries only work if there's only a little bit of food in the wok and if your hob can get fucking hot. Otherwise it's stir braising, leading to tougher and greasier food. Realistically, on our average gas cooker at least, you probably only get enough capacity for 1-2 people at a time in a wok, maybe less if noodles are involved.

Stir fries can be disappointing but equally, with a little practice and decent selection of ingredients, you can knock out an outstanding meal in less than 10 mins too. Stay clear of those gloopy sauces, use a few more (oriental) herbs, learn the virtue of frying ingredients in batches and you'll be halfway there.

How is a risotto a quick dinner? It takes at least 20 mins of continuous stirring, preparation of a decent stock notwithstanding? It's labour heavy at the least

Go to the Portuguese deli (on Atlantic) and ask for some breadcrumbs. Pretty sure Nunes would sort you out too if you asked nicely

What's all this stir fries are disappointing lark like? It's a bloody cooking technique, not a generic recipe set - it's like dissing grilling or something.

Stir fries only work if there's only a little bit of food in the wok and if your hob can get fucking hot. Otherwise it's stir braising, leading to tougher and greasier food. Realistically, on our average gas cooker at least, you probably only get enough capacity for 1-2 people at a time in a wok, maybe less if noodles are involved.

Stir fries can be disappointing but equally, with a little practice and decent selection of ingredients, you can knock out an outstanding meal in less than 10 mins too. Stay clear of those gloopy sauces, use a few more (oriental) herbs, learn the virtue of frying ingredients in batches and you'll be halfway there.
it's mainly the ingredients to be honest - noodles, peppers, yawn

it's mainly the ingredients to be honest - noodles, peppers, yawn

You don't have to use any of them though. The selection can be what you want it to be.
:confused:

A favoured weekday supper of mine is little more than (ginger, spring onions, garlic - standard), plus flank or other steak thinkly sliced, green or snake beans, cashews or peanuts, some oriental herbs (holy or thai basil for example), fish sauce and little more than fresh chilli and fresh stock to glaze the pan. There are plenty of variations, but that's a sound base to use up fridge leftovers from

A wok's not going to turn a pepper into something more interesting. Neither are Sharwoods noodles ever going to taste good, nor will beansprout become transformed into something far more interesting in pan. It's like any other way of cooking - put in decent ingredients and treat them with respect and chances are that it'll taste really good.

I will say this though - Stir Fries are generally the worst festival and party food. They need to be very fresh and cooked in small batches.

You don't have to use any of them though. The selection can be what you want it to be.
:confused:

A favoured weekday supper of mine is little more than (ginger, spring onions, garlic - standard), plus flank or other steak thinkly sliced, green or snake beans, cashews or peanuts, some oriental herbs (holy or thai basil for example), fish sauce and little more than fresh chilli and fresh stock to glaze the pan. There are plenty of variations, but that's a sound base to use up fridge leftovers from

A wok's not going to turn a pepper into something more interesting. Neither are Sharwoods noodles ever going to taste good, nor will beansprout become transformed into something far more interesting in pan. It's like any other way of cooking - put in decent ingredients and treat them with respect and chances are that it'll taste really good.

I will say this though - Stir Fries are generally the worst festival and party food. They need to be very fresh and cooked in small batches.
boring (food, not you)
i always regret putting cashews in stir frys and i hate green beans.
there's always nice stuff to cook. i thought it'd be a nice way to finish off some leftover chicken. should have stuck to risotto.

it's only 20 minutes!

The stock? Cooking something to accompany the risotto? Resting time at the end?

Generally takes a fair bit longer than 20 mins too ime. I'd say it takes at least 3 times as long as a stir fry, and you'll have more pans to wash up after too.

boring (food, not you)
i always regret putting cashews in stir frys and i hate green beans.
there's always nice stuff to cook. i thought it'd be a nice way to finish off some leftover chicken. should have stuck to risotto.

Save the leftover chicken for fried rice rather than stir fries would be my advice.

And choose ingredients and herbs that you like more - this seems a strange objection

The stock? Cooking something to accompany the risotto? Resting time at the end?

Generally takes a fair bit longer than 20 mins too ime. I'd say it takes at least 3 times as long as a stir fry, and you'll have more pans to wash up after too.

it's no bother. i did the stock last night - takes 4 hours but 2 minutes prep.
and i like rice better than noodles and a load of other things that don't blend nicely.

Save the leftover chicken for fried rice rather than stir fries would be my advice.

And choose ingredients and herbs that you like more - this seems a strange objection

i can do what i like and i'll avoid stir fries from now on. they just don't excite me.

i can do what i like and i'll avoid stir fries from now on. they just don't excite me.

Of course you can, but it seems an utterly weird and self-limiting standpoint to me.

It's more akin to writing off anything cooked in a frying pan because you don't declare that you don't find any fried food interesting. Which given the huge variety encompassed seems stubbornly principled to the point of ridiculousness.

Back
Top Bottom