Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

Poached salmon, peas and spuds. I also made a dill sauce using the milk I poached the fish in. The sauce was completely tragic, so I binned it. The rest of it was lovely.
Mince pie and vanilla ice cream for pud.

Fried potato and tempeh,
tahini, Sharwood's Mango chutney.
Washed down with Cotes du Rhone.

I may find room for some baklava and soya custard in a bit ...

It was a success... if you could see my boy's face when he tried it :D

Crackling didn't work, but doesn't matter... will try the boiling water next time, and leave him in charge of it :D

Ta sheo, and bob. Definitely making it again!

too vague like those 'i had pizza' dumbass posts. you get the feeling the people who post those ones tend to eat shit pizza and unadventurous sandwiches

too vague? how would you have liked me to be more precise? should i have mentioned the brand of bread and butter i used? it was mature cheddar from the farmer's market if that's important.

It was a success... if you could see my boy's face when he tried it :D

Crackling didn't work, but doesn't matter... will try the boiling water next time, and leave him in charge of it :D

Ta sheo, and bob. Definitely making it again!

HOORAY! Espesh about his face! Hahahah ACE! :D

I don't think boiling water would make any difference here, tbf - it's just not a dish for crackling I reckon because it's covered and steaming/braising for such a long time while it's cooking so the skin/fat gets too wet and.....errrrr....flabby :D iykwim?

I mean I imagine it to be more of a dish that just uses the meat - except that you keep the fat on while it's cooking to keep it moist and add flavour.

Defo worth a try tho hehe but you don't miss it anyway cos it's so fucking tasty eh? And I suppose you just point out to the boy that it's healthier that way, so he can eat MORE. :cool:

For crispy crackling and tender meat though (and again, very, very tasty) I would really, REALLY recommend the Rick Stein one!

http://www.rickstein.com/Crisp-Chinese-Roast-Pork-with-Steamed-Rice-Recipes.htm

Aaaaanyway - I've just prepared BOTH my lots of pork - the Rick Stein one for tomorrow and the bun cha for today and am going to do my oat crumble topping in a minute for the pear and plum (found one of those floating around too) crumble so I'll have no excuses today not to have a proper dinner, although I quite enjoyed my crisps last night. :-o

I disagree. :mad:

No, no, no... it ABSOLUTELY makes a difference for pork that you're roasting in a normal way - even if it's slow cooked, so long as it's uncovered (the Rick Stein recipe does it - that's why you brought it to my mind yesterday and MADE WE WALK ALL THE WAY TO SAINSBURYS IN THE POURING RAIN :mad: ) but the pulled pork recipes generally cook for a very long time, with some liquid in the pot (with the pork either sitting in it, or above it) but covered for the duration so that it braises or steams - so it's a very different way of cooking it and I don't think that doing the boiling water over it first thing would actually make very much difference in that case. IYSWIM! :mad:

Dumbass! :rolleyes:

gonna stick it in very soon - i'm using a different recipe to yours which doesn't require as much time, but i'm tempted to cook it longer from your recipe.

i don't trust my oven, so will have to be flexible about timing - i just hope we're not eating at ten again (timing is always a problem for me :oops:)
oh, and i'm going to make a delicious almond and honey cake for pud.

Yesterday we went to German Market in Brum but it was raining & mobbed so we didn't eat/drink there and ended up going for a curry. Place we went to does a amazing paneer sizzler but not so good on curries now but did used to be good.

Tonight will probably be shop bought spinach tortollini pasta & tomato & basil sauce.

Attachments

• 102_3104.jpg
    102_3104.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 1
If I can scrape the car, get the battery charged up, and clear the entire street, we'll have something lovely from Waitrose. Otherwise it's beans on toast, without the toast. :(

Hope you get it scraped moose :(

OU... your pud sounds lush!

I still can't get to the PC so no photo sheo. I reckon you're right about the crackling for that dish, and tbf I do most of the cooking and don't like crackling, so won't bother next time :D

Tonight is more pork and garlic portabello shrooms :)

Phew - made it in one piece - still lethally icy/snowy out there!
So we're having a nice root vegetable and pearl barley casserole with veggie sausages. Then hot cherries with kirsch with chocolate ice cream.

Back
Top Bottom