Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What new foods have you tried recently?

I sometimes miss fizzy pop as I won't buy it anymore if it contains sweeteners. The only one I know that doesn't is fentimans.

These don't contain any sweetners

I'm addicted to the rhubarb one!

I
I sometimes miss fizzy pop as I won't buy it anymore if it contains sweeteners. The only one I know that doesn't is fentimans.
I use these syrups with fizzy water. I get them from my local Eastern European supermarket.

If you're on Facebook there's a group called Save Our Sugar -SOS, which gives you info about which drinks are just sugar. Currently it's awash with Pepsi grumps. I think Fentimans have just started with the Stevia in their drinks. Might be one of the other "natural" brands though. Rio in cans, the original, is one of the very few canned drinks with just sugar.

I

I use these syrups with fizzy water. I get them from my local Eastern European supermarket.

If you're on Facebook there's a group called Save Our Sugar -SOS, which gives you info about which drinks are just sugar. Currently it's awash with Pepsi grumps. I think Fentimans have just started with the Stevia in their drinks. Might be one of the other "natural" brands though. Rio in cans, the original, is one of the very few canned drinks with just sugar.
For some reason, I don't mind colas with sweeteners. Maybe just out of lifelong habit. But everything else with sweeteners tastes pretty vile. I've ended up drinking a fair bit of Rio when out and about and needing a sip of something. Ginger ale/beer is the absolute worst now.

Me and sweeteners disagree. Migraines and reflux mostly. Old Jamaica do an original ginger beer. It is marked as original on the cam and should be full sugar.

I think the argument about Pepsi is that they've gone half and half so the sugar drinkers are just as grumpy as the sweetener drinkers. In the premium range in those syrups I mentioned they do a cola syrup which is closer to Coca cola than Sodastream stuff of old. I quite like it and I can adjust the sweetness by dilution.

I keep thinking I should try brown sauce again as it has tamarind in it which I'm very partial to. I never liked it as a child because it wasn't ketchup, and normally now only encounter it in greasy spoons where it's never the good stuff.

HP or Daddies for your classic brown sauce, HP uses tamarind extract. I daresay you can also get organic hipster versions in a tiny jar for £10 these days but sometimes it is best to go back to the original sauce (and yes I am proud of myself for doing that pun!)

Also love Henderson's which is tamarind based condiment.

Last edited:
Had something on toast in a cafe that was identified as Julienne Bruno vegan cheese. It confused the hell out of me. I'm used to all coconut-based cheeses tasting vile to my tastebuds, I can't even scrape them off, they ruin the food entirely. However, this was delicious. Having compared ingredient lists I'm guessing that it tastes good because it uses live bacteria and there's a fermentation process involved. Maybe it also had to do with it being cream cheese rather than a firm cheese.

I have yet to find a decent veggie mince. They're all awful but in completely different ways.
I quite like Quorn, but that's mainly because it's fungus-based and I rather like that particular flavour profile it gives it.

Back
Top Bottom