Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What new foods have you tried recently?

I love anchovies. Good ones are rare here, but earlier this week we were in Eyemouth where we got some smoked ones.

They are absolutely amazing! Lovely balance of smoke, oil, and saltiness.

It's almost an hour's drive to get there but we will be going back to buy more.

I don't eat them "as is", but I do use them a lot in tomato based sauces, good umami (unless cooking for vegetarians ofc.)

I don't eat them "as is", but I do use them a lot in tomato based sauces, good umami (unless cooking for vegetarians ofc.)
I think the main problem is that in the UK it's either salt cured tins/jars or vinegar soake white ones. The range of them when I lived in Spain was much wider. My absolute favourites are deep fried fresh ones, a little like whitebait.

I think the main problem is that in the UK it's either salt cured tins/jars or vinegar soake white ones. The range of them when I lived in Spain was much wider. My absolute favourites are deep fried fresh ones, a little like whitebait.

I go for the jars with olive oil, it does make them a bit tricky to remove given that the oil goes a bit solid when cold (fortunately I do not buy the things for how they look and rarely want a pristine single anchovy fillet), but on the upside there's no waste - you can use all the fishy olive oil with little bits of fish that have flaked off to add to sauces, toss pasta in etc.

I go for the jars with olive oil, it does make them a bit tricky to remove given that the oil goes a bit solid when cold (fortunately I do not buy the things for how they look and rarely want a pristine single anchovy fillet), but on the upside there's no waste - you can use all the fishy olive oil with little bits of fish that have flaked off to add to sauces, toss pasta in etc.
I do the same but buy tinned because sometimes I need nice fillets. Not that you can get nice ones here. There's such a huge range of types back home, and I miss it.

I’ve bought the fresh ones in fish shops/ stalls in the U.K. but can’t remember seeing many/ any in supermarkets.

I’ve bought the fresh ones in fish shops/ stalls in the U.K. but can’t remember seeing many/ any in supermarkets.
There's a couple of traditional fishmongers near here but even they don't have a big selection apart from cod, haddock, salmon, etc. The local supermarkets have all closed the fish, butchers and deli counters. There's a couple of boats from which you can buy fish but they don't sail regularly.

There's a couple of traditional fishmongers near here but even they don't have a big selection apart from cod, haddock, salmon, etc. The local supermarkets have all closed the fish, butchers and deli counters. There's a couple of boats from which you can buy fish but they don't sail regularly.
Not sure but there might be a season for them , perhaps ask as the fishmongers with view to an order ?

You can get the variations here if you try hard enough but Des is right. Generally speaking it's those horrible vinegary white things, or salted brown ones in olive oil. I've never really appreciated the difference in quality of the browns but they're one of my favourite things.

There's a Spanish supermarket near us who does some cracking stuff but their pricing takes the piss. I dropped in to get some chorizo, and picked up some cheese and olives. Grabbed a tiny jar of salted anchovies on the way to the till. I just tapped the card without checking the amount and the bloke gave me a receipt which came to nearly 50 quid. I said it seemed expensive for 4 things and the he took it a bit personally and insisted I check the receipt, which I did. Turns out the litte jar of anchovies was £16.50 (£3.50 in Tesco) and there was a handwritten yellow label on it which confirmed this. I didn't make too much fuss cos I couldn't be arsed to sort out a refund, and matey assued me they were the best brown salty anchovies on the planet.

I chucked the receipt and peeled the price label off the jar before I got home. If Kris had seen those I'd have been in serious trouble.

Buying fish in this country is very depressing. Best bet I've found is those vans, which pick up in the early hours and drive around selling that day's catch out the back. Do you have one of those near you maybe?

eta or a market. There's a man at my local market who gets quite unusual stuff too. Unsmoked cod roes, eg, which I struggled to get anywhere else (I'm not in a city).

Buying fish in this country is very depressing. Best bet I've found is those vans, which pick up in the early hours and drive around selling that day's catch out the back. Do you have one of those near you maybe?

eta or a market. There's a man at my local market who gets quite unusual stuff too. Unsmoked cod roes, eg, which I struggled to get anywhere else (I'm not in a city).
Unfortunately there isn't a market nearby. The local van man is the one who has the shop I mentioned.

There's another van man but he's not been about for ages. I think he might have closed

Tried some of this - not a fan. Very hot, but without much else going on. Imagine a very cheap green pesto that has had a tablespoon of Cayenne dumped on it...Screenshot_20230318-175632_Chrome.jpg

I have always thought mushy peas were the most awfully British thing imaginable. Peas are unspeakably dull to start with; about the only thing they have going for them is their texture, and that's hardly going to win prizes. So let's ruin it, shall we?

But I'd never actually tried them. Why waste money and tastebuds on something that couldn't possibly work?

Today I ate them, because they were there. They were exactly as I'd imagined, only sadder.

Back
Top Bottom