Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What new foods have you tried recently?

The rice looked to be dehydrated to be crispy and foldable, pressed into shape by the dehydrating tray so it’s effectively like a wrap

Anyone who’s had a rice cooker will know how nice it is to eat the crispy bits at the bottom
Someone in the comments mentioned concon, which is burnt rice. Looks similar enough to the 'wraps', I suppose. Just that the burnt bits on the wrap are a much high percentage of the whole. And rectangular.

1200px-Ailin15VeganRiceWithTahdig.JPG

I want to make these wraps, but I'm not buying the dehydrating pan thing. 🤔

This page has some ideas, that I think I can use:

I'll try to make the rice cake super thin before frying. Not confident it'll be supple enough to bend into a wrap, though.

Re lentils: I'm always surprised just how quickly green lentils cook, given that they have a reputation for needing to cook for a long time. I don't pre-soak, just rolling boil for 10 mins, and after an additional 20 mins they are usually done, not the 40 or 50 minutes on top of pre-soaking that some packet instructions call for.
We make this a lot for an easy midweek meal: Crushed puy lentils with tahini & cumin recipe | Ottolenghi Recipes

30 minutes for a delicious, easy, and cheap recipe and we almost always have all the ingredients.

Depends on how much you value your time. A 10 minute boil and a few hours in a thermal cooker will cut most of your energy costs.
Not chickpeas but I had a ridiculous mess resulting from using dried beans, twice. Worked great every other time but twice, with huge batches, pre soaked and done exactly too instructions. I had a fucked up chilli full of solid beans thay would not soften whatever I did to them. Given that screwed up a boxing day meal I give up on them now. I don't like to since its cheaper and I'm long cooking it anyway but i hated seeing 7 litres of fucked food each time.

I've got some dried black beans that won't cook no matter how long soaked and boiled for (well 36 hours soaking and hours of boiling)...still not given up and thrown them out though. :rolleyes:

Another plug for Polish jarred "salad".
They ran out of The "Grecka" so I've been forced to learn to like the "dinner salad" - which is largely cabbage... it blends very well with the green tomato.
I also tried a jar of patty pan - based salad - dyed yellow with beta-carotene ..
I confess for me it is to some extent a vehicle for tahini and milled flaxseed ...
Drain them well and keep in the fridge if it's warm and you aren't going to finish it quickly.
Some of them are a bit too spiced / herbed for my taste so I'll rinse them - and look out for whole allspice berries and bay leaves ... some of them do have a little sugar / sweetener ...
I chuck the vinegared water down the bog - not sure if it helps with limescale ...

ssalad.jpg

Last edited:
Not chickpeas but I had a ridiculous mess resulting from using dried beans, twice. Worked great every other time but twice, with huge batches, pre soaked and done exactly too instructions. I had a fucked up chilli full of solid beans thay would not soften whatever I did to them. Given that screwed up a boxing day meal I give up on them now. I don't like to since its cheaper and I'm long cooking it anyway but i hated seeing 7 litres of fucked food each time.

Yeah, that would put me off too.
Different brand to what you’d used before?

The rice looked to be dehydrated to be crispy and foldable, pressed into shape by the dehydrating tray so it’s effectively like a wrap

Anyone who’s had a rice cooker will know how nice it is to eat the crispy bits at the bottom
Persian treat

Yeah, that would put me off too.
Different brand to what you’d used before?
No exactly the same unfortunately which put me off more, well in date, were stored properly, exactly the same as I did before but for the price difference I wasted a huge amount of ingredients that its worse than not using them at all by now. Shame as I preferred dried especially pintos for refried beans, may give that a go on a smaller batch since 6l of those is a fair amount lol. Need to do some stock first tho so thats tomorrow.

Anyone, how longs fish good in the freezer? I figured 3 months but i don't want to bin 1.5kg of it, which is more like 6..... was frozen to begin with for better or worse.

No exactly the same unfortunately which put me off more, well in date, were stored properly, exactly the same as I did before but for the price difference I wasted a huge amount of ingredients that its worse than not using them at all by now. Shame as I preferred dried especially pintos for refried beans, may give that a go on a smaller batch since 6l of those is a fair amount lol. Need to do some stock first tho so thats tomorrow.

Anyone, how longs fish good in the freezer? I figured 3 months but i don't want to bin 1.5kg of it, which is more like 6..... was frozen to begin with for better or worse.

Same initial conditions and v different results - that's def odd. I'd do the same if that happened.

Re: the fish - if it's a fatty fish the flavour will be a bit compromised by now. Should be fine otherwise.

Same initial conditions and v different results - that's def odd. I'd do the same if that happened.

Re: the fish - if it's a fatty fish the flavour will be a bit compromised by now. Should be fine otherwise.
It is only pollock, just feel bad throwing away any food whatever the price, it is not an economic issue for us thankfully but idk food in bin seems just horrendous. I get annoyed throwing away a few bits of bread lol.

It is only pollock, just feel bad throwing away any food whatever the price, it is not an economic issue for us thankfully but idk food in bin seems just horrendous. I get annoyed throwing away a few bits of bread lol.

I keep pollock in the freezer for ages, it is safe to eat but texture and appearance can be affected by being frozen for a long period of time - I tend to use white fish that has been in there a while for fish curries, pollock and spinach is a good mix in a curry.

I keep pollock in the freezer for ages, it is safe to eat but texture and appearance can be affected by being frozen for a long period of time - I tend to use white fish that has been in there a while for fish curries, pollock and spinach is a good mix in a curry.
I'm currently ignoring the fish, again. Idk how it stayed in the freezer so long...
Bought some unknown spices at something like spicesontheweb.

Have a chicken to use so ajam pedis appears to work with that. Also need to use whatever Bali mix is, the translation from Dutch seems to say use with fish so that maybe the fish curry. Also picked up advieh khorest whcuh seems to be a Persian stew so that's next week sometime!

Percebes ( Goose Barnacles) I've had them before however, a friend of mine tried them yesterday for the first time ( she didn't like them ) as the fish stalls are full of them here at the moment . Supposed to be one of the most expensive seafoods in the world . Anyway, these were 26 euros a kilo so I got half a kilo. Boil salted water put them in for one minute , turn off the heat let them soak for a couple and then drain and serve.

This bloke in the video had no idea , you don't use scissors, you just twist and pull .

Percebes ( Goose Barnacles) I've had them before however, a friend of mine tried them yesterday for the first time ( she didn't like them ) as the fish stalls are full of them here at the moment . Supposed to be one of the most expensive seafoods in the world . Anyway, these were 26 euros a kilo so I got half a kilo. Boil salted water put them in for one minute , turn off the heat let them soak for a couple and then drain and serve.

This bloke in the video had no idea , you don't use scissors, you just twist and pull .

I tried them once, found them really not nice at all.

Those rice rolls things... To me it looks like they're just cooking short grain (sushi?) rice from dried in those rectangular things. No dehydration - I would assume it's easier to roll if the rice is sticky anyway? I have no idea as haven't seen them before but that was what I assumed when watching it.

I had M&S cheese hot cross buns yesterday. Normally an HCB purist but I dunno, perimenopausal or something. Anyway they're quite nice, like really soft cheesy rolls.

I had M&S cheese hot cross buns yesterday. Normally an HCB purist but I dunno, perimenopausal or something. Anyway they're quite nice, like really soft cheesy rolls.
I had some of those last year- loved them. Not sure I can digest the heaviness of them anymore, otherwise I'd buy them again.

I tried some nutritional yeast flakes as they were in the lucky dip isle in Aldi. Pretty good. I could just eat spoonfuls of it quite happily
Just bought some today. They taste a bit like Marmite, and dissolved easily enough in our home made celery soup. A useful touch of umami that's good for OH's diet/

Just bought some today. They taste a bit like Marmite, and dissolved easily enough in our home made celery soup. A useful touch of umami that's good for OH's diet/
It's the green ones I like. It's like the leftovers in a pack of chicken crisps. The blue ones are a bit too fake cheese for me, I'm sure I'd fins a use for them if I applied myself.

Back
Top Bottom