Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What new foods have you tried recently?

I bought some samphire today. Ive never bought it before, I've picked it straight from the mud flats. How disappointing it is. How on earth can they make it so tasteless, so flavourless? In future if I can't forage it I'll do without.

I bought some samphire today. Ive never bought it before, I've picked it straight from the mud flats. How disappointing it is. How on earth can they make it so tasteless, so flavourless? In future if I can't forage it I'll do without.

Quite possibly because it's out of season in the UK at the moment. It's best harvested in the summer and eaten within a day or two.

It's ok sauteed in butter but I can take it or leave it.

Yorkshire Tea's biscuit flavoured tea bags.
I picked them up thinking they were tea flavoured biscuits :facepalm:

Weird and pointless
The mrs liked them and their toast and jam flavoured relatives. But where they fall down is not the flavour, it's that they're not as strong as their regular brethren. And we don't buy Yorkshire to get weak tea!!!

I can’t say that these are new foods particularly but I’ve been eating a lot of chickpeas and green lentils lately. They’re 50p a can in Aldi, but is there a way to get them any cheaper than this?

Dried is fine, presumably I’d need to soak first before using but that wouldn’t be an issue, and indeed happy to buy in bulk if it’s going to save some cash.

Ive never eaten much celeriac before. And ive only made soup with it in the past.

Got it with my veg box (seasonal veg innit). This time I tried roasting it in strips with some oil and sliced chorizo. Quite successful!

I can’t say that these are new foods particularly but I’ve been eating a lot of chickpeas and green lentils lately. They’re 50p a can in Aldi, but is there a way to get them any cheaper than this?

Dried is fine, presumably I’d need to soak first before using but that wouldn’t be an issue, and indeed happy to buy in bulk if it’s going to save some cash.
Green and brown lentils don't need soaking in advance just boil them.

I think chickpeas from a can are better and possibly more economical for some things than the effort of soaking and boiling them for ages.

Last edited:
Green and brown lentils don't need soaking in advance just boil them.

I think chickpeas from a can are better and possibly more economical for some things than the effort of soaking and boiling them for ages.

Depends on how much you value your time. A 10 minute boil and a few hours in a thermal cooker will cut most of your energy costs.

Back
Top Bottom