Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What new foods have you tried recently?

Mastic chewing gum.

Was recommended due to tummy troubles post antibiotics (it's mildly antibacterial). But I like the taste and it actually keeps its flavour for ages and ages, unlike regular chewing gum. Pity it was bloody expensive and everyone else in the house keeps nicking it.

Mastic chewing gum.

Was recommended due to tummy troubles post antibiotics (it's mildly antibacterial). But I like the taste and it actually keeps its flavour for ages and ages, unlike regular chewing gum. Pity it was bloody expensive and everyone else in the house keeps nicking it.

I'm only familiar with mastic in terms of the "submarine" (yprovichio) and it is nice.
Not always the easiest thing to get hold of.

Aye mine is ancient and takes more than 20 minutes (now I'm grateful it's not longer than that!)

Today I discovered that a high end sweet bakery has opened up very locally to me and I’ve already spent over £20 on their products. This may well be the ruin of me.
I bought a cinnamon roll cookie, a salted chocolate cookie, a slice of Baked Cherry & Custard Crumble and a huge piece of chocolate cake named ‘Bruce!’
I have only eaten the cinnamon roll cookie and it’s the tastiest cookie I’ve ever had.
Watch this space - will probs scoff the lot by the end of the day :oops:

Today I discovered that a high end sweet bakery has opened up very locally to me and I’ve already spent over £20 on their products. This may well be the ruin of me.
I bought a cinnamon roll cookie, a salted chocolate cookie, a slice of Baked Cherry & Custard Crumble and a huge piece of chocolate cake named ‘Bruce!’
I have only eaten the cinnamon roll cookie and it’s the tastiest cookie I’ve ever had.
Watch this space - will probs scoff the lot by the end of the day :oops:
Looking at the name I was wondering if something else was in those cookies...

Recently I've tried using oats as a rice replacement using this recipe and it's delicious: How to Cook Oats to get a Rice-like Consistency? | indischwindisch

I've also tried buckwheat for the first time recently and I'm a fan. There's something not quite right about it as a rice replacement, but it's decent enough and much healthier.

I've tried a buckwheat pilaf type thing, a risotto type thing and also just using it as an accompaniment for curry etc, just like rice. It's best with stuff in it, even if it's just a few chopped onions or something.

This was good: Mushroom buckwheat risotto recipe | BBC Good Food

Buckwheat is one of those things I should be genetically predisposed to as a half-Pole, but I think it tastes disgusting. And I like other "earthy" tasting foods, like beets and whatnot.

Recently I've tried using oats as a rice replacement using this recipe and it's delicious: How to Cook Oats to get a Rice-like Consistency? | indischwindisch

I've also tried buckwheat for the first time recently and I'm a fan. There's something not quite right about it as a rice replacement, but it's decent enough and much healthier.

I've tried a buckwheat pilaf type thing, a risotto type thing and also just using it as an accompaniment for curry etc, just like rice. It's best with stuff in it, even if it's just a few chopped onions or something.

This was good: Mushroom buckwheat risotto recipe | BBC Good Food
Are you allergic to rice?

I live in a small market town in Essex where good food goes to die. But we have a weekly market and the fruit and veg stall does civilised places the rest of the week, so sometimes they have really exciting stuff. So! Today I have tried nespulla - weird little fruit that is a little bit like apricot but much less nice

nespulla.jpg

but that's ok because I like trying new things too.

I also have something called purple backed geranium (紫背天葵) and morning glory which I'm going to flash fry in the wok with some basic Chinese ingredients. The geranium smells disconcertingly like normal geranium...

I live in a small market town in Essex where good food goes to die. But we have a weekly market and the fruit and veg stall does civilised places the rest of the week, so sometimes they have really exciting stuff. So! Today I have tried nespulla - weird little fruit that is a little bit like apricot but much less nice

View attachment 375002

but that's ok because I like trying new things too.

I also have something called purple backed geranium (紫背天葵) and morning glory which I'm going to flash fry in the wok with some basic Chinese ingredients. The geranium smells disconcertingly like normal geranium...
Called nespera over here in Portugal . Originally from China ? Need to be very ripe otherwise acidic and sour but lovely when they are at their prime. Lots of people have them in their gardens .

Morning glory seeds are hallucinogenic - have fun!

It was just the leaves and stems, sadly.

The geranium tasted a bit too floral for me. Possibly my lack of skill.

Called nespera over here in Portugal . Originally from China ? Need to be very ripe otherwise acidic and sour but lovely when they are at their prime. Lots of people have them in their gardens .

Oh thanks! They look like they are almost past their best tbh but maybe they didn't get a chance to ripen properly.

It was just the leaves and stems, sadly.

The geranium tasted a bit too floral for me. Possibly my lack of skill.

Oh thanks! They look like they are almost past their best tbh but maybe they didn't get a chance to ripen properly.
Very temperamental fruits , even over here they are best off the trees or from a local shop than from the supermarkets . As I say though when you get them ripe they are sweet and juicy with some nice flavour .

Back
Top Bottom