Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What new foods have you tried recently?

Natto! I've been meaning to try some but I know it's polarizing so I didn't want to do it when eating out (I hate leaving food that someone has given me). Now was picking up a takeaway and saw my chance.

It's got pretty much no flavour, other than a mild bitterness, it's just beans. Instead, it's all about the texture, which is a bit like the mess around pumpkin seeds and a bit like melted processed cheese. Not in any way disgusting but very messy to eat and a bit wtf. I thought I wouldn't order it again but the high amounts of calcium and iron are making me think twice.

It came with a small sachet of mustard and another of something (wasn't soy sauce - maybe oil?).

Achocha. Unsurprisingly, quite cucumbery. Would eat again.

View attachment 348507
I got some seeds for these once and the weather conditions in the UK that year were perfect sun and rain with a warm September. Had a huge crop of them some about 4/5 inches long . Tried a variety of recipes but in the end was just overwhelmed by the sheer numbers. Tried to grow them again several years later and the harvest was poor.

Dark chocolate maltesers. Won't bother again. The malt taste is totally obscured by the dark chocolate.

I normally really like dark chocolate best, but I am struggling with this idea - despite not having tried these myself, I can't imagine it working really well. Some things need milk chocolate.

I don't normally buy sweets, but got some M&Ms chocolate brownie the other night, very chewy, very moorish. Probably shouldn't keep them in stock.

I do however have a big bag of chocolate as heavy rain last night meant we only got the very hardy trick or treaters. This could be dangerous.

Branston baked beans. I find myself eating them out of the tin more often than not as I love them and can’t wait to eat them :oops:
Far better than Heinz.
I'm into quick and dirty comfort food at the moment so have been eating cheap Aldi baked beans - so seeing this, I just tried their 25p beans and I won't bother again - too much sugar, but they were pleasant enough diluted with other beans, soup, mushrooms and kale ...
The best baked beans I ever had were Napolina, but I only found them once in an Italian deli in the early 80s ...

I'm into quick and dirty comfort food at the moment so have been eating cheap Aldi baked beans - so seeing this, I just tried their 25p beans and I won't bother again - too much sugar, but they were pleasant enough diluted with other beans, soup, mushrooms and kale ...
The best baked beans I ever had were Napolina, but I only found them once in an Italian deli in the early 80s ...
Yeah, I think they are high in sugar but taste sooo good :oops:

You can make them as sickly as you want by the stuff you put with them. Cherries, soaked in Kirsch and whipped cream. Bloody lovely.

I don't like kirsch or cherries (other than fresh) so will stick with the icing sugar and butter.

Next time I'm the Netherlands of course

I used to get told off for biting chunks out of the cucumber when I was a kid, my mum said it would give me indigestion. Went to Japan and had this....salted cucumber basically. There's a place that does Indian street food in Manchester that serves something similar.

IMG_0362.JPG

Last edited:
Cucumbers -- like carrots and celery -- prove that crunch is a flavour. But more so in the case of cucumbers, because they really have nothing else.

But you can pickle them, preferably without adding ghastly sugar to them, and they're quite nice.

Cucumbers -- like carrots and celery -- prove that crunch is a flavour. But more so in the case of cucumbers, because they really have nothing else.

But you can pickle them, preferably without adding ghastly sugar to them, and they're quite nice.
I stuff my face with cucumber pickles through the winter on a daily basis - along with green tomato for a bit more acidity.
Very cheap - a little sugar, but I reckon a nett benefit to health all the same.
Vinegar apparently lowers the glycaemic index of food.

pickles.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom