Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What new foods have you tried recently?

Sometimes depending on the variety even when ripe the skin be a bit tough. Asda have had them back in for a while.
Bit like pears, from raw to ripe can be a nano second. Don't blink.

Have to be very ripe otherwise they are minging
Used to be that way, but the new varieties are quite edible at most stages of their ripening. Which is a huge win for the most part, but these new ones don't taste quite as good as the old ones did when they were perfectly ripe between 1:30 and 3:00 on a Tuesday afternoon.

Also, I'm weird and I liked the mouth-puckering effect that the older types had when not perfectly ripe.

Since I still hope at some point to have mastered the art of hydroponic salad growing and actually now have a fridge, I'm speculating on salad ...

The supermarkets are currently selling a variety of romaine lettuce marked "sweet gem" at a premium over "little gem".
They certainly are sweet - though I have yet to try a side-by-side comparison.
I can't find any reference to a distinct cultivar, so I wonder if they're hydro lettuce fed on water for the last few days ...

I bought plain romaine the other day and that has a teeny more bitterness in it - probably explaining its use in Caesar salad.
I combine the lettuce with grated carrot, mung sprouts and balsamic dressing, so the subtleties are probably lost in any case ...

Since I still hope at some point to have mastered the art of hydroponic salad growing and actually now have a fridge, I'm speculating on salad ...

The supermarkets are currently selling a variety of romaine lettuce marked "sweet gem" at a premium over "little gem".
They certainly are sweet - though I have yet to try a side-by-side comparison.
I can't find any reference to a distinct cultivar, so I wonder if they're hydro lettuce fed on water for the last few days ...

I bought plain romaine the other day and that has a teeny more bitterness in it - probably explaining its use in Caesar salad.
I combine the lettuce with grated carrot, mung sprouts and balsamic dressing, so the subtleties are probably lost in any case ...

I found this page which may help

Ooh I got some RubyToogood & really dislike like! Now I have this huge jar that will get moved around the cupboard. I have no clue if it tastes like truffles as never had them,

Ooh I got some RubyToogood & really dislike like! Now I have this huge jar that will get moved around the cupboard. I have no clue if it tastes like truffles as never had them,
Well there we go. A marmite that actually does divide opinion.

Unlike normal marmite which IMO is just something most people have in the cupboard but don't feel strongly about either way.

I've never had neat truffles but I've had truffle oil and it's pretty similar to that.

I got a tin of pork luncheon meat. It's bland to say the least. Now I remember why I don't normally eat it.

Tesco was all out of Lowicz raspberry and lemon cordial to add to my water, so I made a special trip to the "Polish shop" .. always a bit of a gamble as I'm completely lost outside of the Romance languages and I never have the right glasses with me ...

The greatest disappointment was the Hortex blackcurrant "nektar" ...

"INGREDIENTS: water, blackcurrant juice (25%) from concentrated juice, sugar, natural aroma of blackcurrants, vitamin C, substance sweetening - sucralose"
Perhaps I'm just unlucky with my palate, but it always seems to spoil it for me .. I'd already bought a cranberry juice drink that was similarly disappointing - and it seems even Ribena contains that now ...

----------------------------------

And most of the Lowicz cordials now state "NO Glucose-fructose syrup" - which is possibly even more stupid than if they'd put "GMO-free" - given the ingredients list is topped with "sugar" - and being manufactured in northern Europe the "sugar" will be beet sugar - which is about as chemically equivalent to processed corn syrup as it's possible to get... but at least there's no bloody sucralose ...

--------------------------------------

I bought lemon/rhubarb/raspberry and a rather odd "raspberry with blackberry" from another manufacturer which DOES contain the deadly Franken-syrup but not much actual blackberry ...

Raspberry with blackberry flavoured syrup. Pasteurized. Ingredients: glucose-fructose syrup, water, concentrated chokeberry juice, acidity regulator-citric acid, concentrated raspberryjuice (0,19%), concentrated blackberryjuice (0,02%), concentrated juices: blackcurrant and carrot; antioxidant- ascorbic acid, flavours.

Preservative and colourant free syrup. Use: To prepare a drink, mix 1 part of syrup to 9 parts of water. Any changes of the syrup colour occurring during storage result from the content of natural ingredients and do not constitute a defect.

--------------------------------------

But all perfectly fine heavily diluted on a hot day - I may even see if it will make tap water bearable...

lowicz.jpg

cordials.jpg

Last edited:
I am currently quite cross that I got to more than 50 years old and no-one suggested to me that cream cheese was delicious.

I have seen other people eat it. I have seen OH eat it. No-one ever said "go on try a bit" :mad:

I bought some yesterday because it looked like a good budget option that could be used to cook with. Tried a small spoonful of it - oh my fucking god.

or....Scrambled eggs, cream cheese and pico de gallo with mushrooms

or.... spinach and mushroom omelette with cream cheese and pico de gallo

Tablespoon of cream cheese in a wok or frying pan with some mushrooms and chilli flakes. food of the gods

....or......fried musrooms, add cream cheese and a dab of marmite. Serve on toast. Lush.

or....Scrambled eggs, cream cheese and pico de gallo with mushrooms

or.... spinach and mushroom omelette with cream cheese and pico de gallo

Yeah I bunged some in with fried mushrooms, courgettes, chilli flakes, garlic, herbs, splosh of white wine and some penne - fucking lovely.

Definitely a good option for a pasta sauce base, will keep it on the shopping list from now on. Was just a supermarket own brand one too, not very expensive.

Back
Top Bottom