Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What new foods have you tried recently?

The Spanish version, Sobrasada, speciality of Mallorca, is worth a try too. There are many makes and qualities, kind of like chorizo paste.
There’s, as you say, a lot of variations on this. When we lived in Andalucia they have a very high fat version which is used almost like butter and is spread on toast for breakfast. It’s not sausage shaped but is in the sort of tubs that butter comes in.

Starving for one now

SPAM%2Band%2BPineapple%2BPizza%2B%252B%2BTub.jpg
Is that spam and pineapple?

How to start a war with 1 picture right there :D

Konjac noodles. I had been warned that they smell fishy and they do, but they don't taste it. They have a weird texture though which is unpleasant, like biting a person. It's a no from me.

I love mortadella though. It might have had the turkey twizzler pasting and re-forming treatment but unlike luncheon meat is properly seasoned and lush.

I tried Spam for the first time relatively recently. It had, after all, been a running joke all my life. When I ate it, I thought hey, this is rather nice.

The second time I bought a tin, it wasn't. Novelty value goes far, at least with me. And there's always that nagging guilt with processed meat -- it isn't particularly healthy, and the pleasure isn't great enough to justify an increased risk of cancer and whatever else is associated with it.

I'm in Malaysia visiting family at the moment, and usually just have the same old favourites every time I come back.

Over the last few years though I've learned how to cook most of my favourite dishes, so set myself the challenge of having something new for every meal, and have mostly stuck to it.

A few favourites:

82E4C26A-C5BB-4E38-A1E3-61BBC7DE39EF.jpeg

Koay Teow Th'ng: rice noodle soup with liver, fish balls, pork mince balls and greens. Delicious pork broth, with the most succulent meat and soft thin rice noodles.

4FDEA884-2875-406B-B9A7-7C45138274BF.jpeg

Lor Mee: A dark, gloopy soy broth, with two types of noodles (egg and rice vermicelli), packed full of goodies, like pork, crispy fried lard chunks, pickled garlic, chicken feet, sambal, egg, fried onions

A53296B7-CDCB-4136-B0AA-7EBA63A8488D.jpeg

Char Hor Fun: handmade thick chewy fried rice noodles (need to be charred, with a nice burnt taste from the wok), with an eggy gravy, filled with pork, prawns, kai lan vegetable, bean sprouts.

E174ED2E-8440-433E-8E6D-918F72D57BA4.jpeg

Handmade Dim Sum: I've had dim sum back in the UK loads of times before, but first time I've had the fresh handmade stuff. In the picture you can see chicken feet, spare ribs, glutinous rice with Chinese sausage and chicken, some kind of Chinese pigs in blankets (a sausage wrapped in bacon), fish balls, fried turnip cake, siu mai, prawns wrapped in bean curd skins and deep fried. We also had fried and filled taro dumpling (wu gok), and har gow prawn dumplings.

I don't think I'll ever get bored of eating out in this country.

I'm in Malaysia visiting family at the moment, and usually just have the same old favourites every time I come back.

Over the last few years though I've learned how to cook most of my favourite dishes, so set myself the challenge of having something new for every meal, and have mostly stuck to it.

A few favourites:

View attachment 327035

Koay Teow Th'ng: rice noodle soup with liver, fish balls, pork mince balls and greens. Delicious pork broth, with the most succulent meat and soft thin rice noodles.

View attachment 327037

Lor Mee: A dark, gloopy soy broth, with two types of noodles (egg and rice vermicelli), packed full of goodies, like pork, crispy fried lard chunks, pickled garlic, chicken feet, sambal, egg, fried onions

View attachment 327038

Char Hor Fun: handmade thick chewy fried rice noodles (need to be charred, with a nice burnt taste from the wok), with an eggy gravy, filled with pork, prawns, kai lan vegetable, bean sprouts.

View attachment 327036

Handmade Dim Sum: I've had dim sum back in the UK loads of times before, but first time I've had the fresh handmade stuff. In the picture you can see chicken feet, spare ribs, glutinous rice with Chinese sausage and chicken, some kind of Chinese pigs in blankets (a sausage wrapped in bacon), fish balls, fried turnip cake, siu mai, prawns wrapped in bean curd skins and deep fried. We also had fried and filled taro dumpling (wu gok), and har gow prawn dumplings.

I don't think I'll ever get bored of eating out in this country.

Well that's got me proper gagging for Malaysian now. Fortunately there are 3 very good ones within delivery distance.

Well that's got me proper gagging for Malaysian now. Fortunately there are 3 very good ones within delivery distance.
If you can, see if you can get their versions of street food/hawker stall dishes. A lot of Malaysian restaurants will do the restaurant friendly dishes like rendang, nasi lemak, laksa etc, but the first three dishes above are generally found at hawker stalls, so probably a bit harder to get hold of good versions in the UK. You might get lucky and find somewhere that'll do them up especially though!

I once read that someone couldn't bear to eat dried apricots as they reminded them of ears - ever since then I've been able to see what they mean.

Disclaimer - I have never knowingly eaten an ear.
I have both fresh and dried apricots in so will have to compare them. Have never chewed on an ear so I fear my experiment might fail to yield useful results. :(

I once read that someone couldn't bear to eat dried apricots as they reminded them of ears - ever since then I've been able to see what they mean.

Disclaimer - I have never knowingly eaten an ear.
My brother hates people eating fruit near to him as he associates the sound of biting into an apple / orange with people eating human flesh.

If you can, see if you can get their versions of street food/hawker stall dishes. A lot of Malaysian restaurants will do the restaurant friendly dishes like rendang, nasi lemak, laksa etc, but the first three dishes above are generally found at hawker stalls, so probably a bit harder to get hold of good versions in the UK. You might get lucky and find somewhere that'll do them up especially though!
Have you tried anything you didn't like??

Apricots are one of the few fruits I actively dislike in its normal form. I have never understood the appeal of dried fruit, unless it's necessary for preservation purposes. I think I'd rather eat an ear.

Apricots are one of the few fruits I actively dislike in its normal form. I have never understood the appeal of dried fruit, unless it's necessary for preservation purposes. I think I'd rather eat an ear.
Fresh apricots are nice - they've got a bit of a kick to them, nice and refreshing. Dried apricots are good for you, and are great in apricot and cardamom crumble.

Back
Top Bottom