Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What is this bush/tree/plant?

Anyone know what this wildflower is, I thought maybe fleabane or yellow oxeye daisy.Cconsulted all my wildflower books but can't find it. quite distinctive heart shaped leaves surrounding the stem. Or maybe a recent garden escapee?
I confess all I tried to do is google the image along with the leaf-form and indeed kept coming up with fleabane ...

I think the leaves are "clasping" the stems - as well as "cordate" ...

Blimey - that's one variant I didn't encounter .. perfiolate, auriculate, cordate ...
This is why I doubt I will ever be fully happy eating wild fungi ...

More alarmingly is womens bane if thats the case
prilbica_tuha_big.jpg

Aconite ?
Delphiniums with knobs on.
The buttercup family is so annoying - only one part of one species is edible - and even that is a bit borderline ...

Just noticed this in a flowerbed at work :-

oneplant.jpg

wholeplant.jpg

Clearly it will be much easier once the flowers open, but ...

Last edited:
Still no flowers.
Square stem so I'm thinking some kind of salvia, but most of those seem to have much more spiky flower heads ...

It did cross my mind, but this one is in a different place... and the unopened flower spikes seem much more branched and carried clear of the foliage ... and the foliage is less sage-like.

What is this bush/tree/plant?

EDIT :-

square stems though .... but they've now stuck lobelia in the campanulaceae ..

Last edited:
I am coming out for marjoram - origanum laevigata - something like 'Hopleys' or Herrenhausen''?...but almost definitely in the labiatae or subsection lamlidae

I should have put in something to show the scale :oops:
These are fairly hefty plants.

And the leaves aren't aromatic.

Last edited:
Mmm, might be one of the salvias such as involucrata. There has been a slew of these taller herbaceous salvias such as Wendy's Wish, Mulberry Jam coming into commerce recently (which also lack the aromatic leaves of s.elegans and the like. I tend to only grow the shrubby greggiis, microphyllas, jamensis myself - my sandy soil is not great for s.guaranitica et al. Will have a look in my Betsy Klebb.

Is this a chosen perennial...or a volunteer/weed? I have numerous labiataes in the wood - hemp deadnettle, betony, stachys sylvestris (which looks most similar to this), teucrium, scutellaria.

It's in a herbaceous border where I work.
I'm surprised I didn't notice it last year - it must be very quick to establish.
It's the branching nature of the flower spikes that I find confusing.

This branching is a recognisable characteristic of plants in the mint family (labiataes) and is very noticeable with salvias such as s.pratensis or s.sylvestris, gentlegreen. The flowers growing in a loose whorl, rather than a spike or raceme is what is throwing me a bit. Do post as soon as a bloom opens.
Have a look at the phlomis family (aka jerusalem sage) - particularly the purples such as phlomis tuberosa or p.cashmeriana

Last edited:
Sadly long past identifying accurately, let alone eating, but you can bet that next year I will be waiting for these boletuses which have sprung up around the base of an ornamental tree at work. I will go back later and get a photo of the tree - it may help with deciding if this is anywhere close to a cep ... a broken one smelled pleasantly mushroomy. These must have been growing right under my nose for years ..

boletus.jpg

Last edited:
Pretty sure it's some sort of birch they're growing under ... so next year I may harvest one of those mushrooms ... though I will feel guilty ...

tree.jpg

EDIT:- alder ?

Last edited:
:oops:

ironically I think I photographed an alder yesterday - growing in a crack on a bridge over the river ... (??)

tree2.jpg

Hello everyone, this is my first wanderings into this thread, not being in any way a gardener, so please excuse my ignorance.

Can anyone tell me what this is ? Apart from 'a notepad' which I used for ease of seeing :D

I know its a weed and that is about it :facepalm: weed.jpg

Virginia creeper - it eats houses !

Bees love it.

It's related to the grape, but the fruits are teeny.

Back
Top Bottom