Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What are you panic buying?

They stock-pile because they are worried they are going to run out of food. They don't even see your children in the equation. It's an entirely selfish act done by people who can afford it. This is a western developed country. They don't even know what running out of food means.

And yes, sat here in pain with rheumatism unable to get to the shops today (and not having had a delivery for a week) and with my partner self-isolating...it pisses me off.
I think it's a tiny minority stock piling like that which the media loves to present as everyman when in actual fact it's most people buying a small amount extra of a few things.

It's all getting a bit too much like the last few chapters of an airport novel disaster plot where the plagued nation gets sicker and sicker, gets cut off from the world, foods run short, the panic causes more to crowd around the few outlets with any supplies accelerating the transmission of the mutated virus...positive feedback type event thingy... :(

Maybe too much sherry, too early?

1608563862957.png

It's all getting a bit too much like the last few chapters of an airport novel disaster plot where the plagued nation gets sicker and sicker, gets cut off from the world, foods run short, the panic causes more to crowd around the few outlets with any supplies accelerating the transmission of the mutated virus...positive feedback type event thingy... :(

Maybe too much sherry, too early?

View attachment 244607
Oh...and set at Christmas time, obvs, to allow for spluttering clowns and florid, feverish Santas to ramp up the nightmarish colour...

According to my flatmate there are no beef or venison joints to be found in my local Tesco at the moment. Actually, that was a false alarm. Although just as I was about to post this, my flatmate phoned me up again to tell me that they were re-stocking. So beef will be on the menu this Christmas.

My fil is reporting he couldn't get in the car park of local Aldi or Lidl. Then tried small local coop...no fruit or veg :eek: :(
Sainsbury's didn't help by announcing this morning that there will be shortages. :mad:

the local rag (reading chronicle - or is it just reading chronic) has a piece that is allegedly about what times supermarkets are open over xmas. for most it's saying what their normal hours are and what they did last year

:facepalm:

Not concerned about food shortages. I tend to eat my (included and calorie heavy) hotel breakfast, and have fruit for lunch at work, then something light in the evening.

I've got some dry food / tins of soup in car which I can have at work / in hotel if it comes to that. Fridge in my room would hold enough stuff for a weekend. Worst case scenario hotel room service can feed me as I'm sure their supply lines are more reliable, will cost a bit more so not ideal. Nipping into a supermarket to get fruit / salad every few days - this is where I may come unstuck if there are shortage. Wouldn't be ideal if couldn't get any fruit but not having any for a few weeks it isn't going to kill me.

Second shopping run done - Morrisons (who are opening until midnight round here) - not much in the way of salads, some spuds, plenty of bog roll.

I went to Asda earlier and it was fine. Busy but nothing obviously running out apart from limes.
I then got my click and collect order from Tesco and was worried loads would be missing but the only item was blackcurrant squash. Very relieved.
Just limes, houmous and bread to get Thursday.

the local rag (reading chronicle - or is it just reading chronic) has a piece that is allegedly about what times supermarkets are open over xmas. for most it's saying what their normal hours are and what they did last year

:facepalm:

That paper and getreading are fucking awful rags. Clickbait usually with no info whatsoever. I once saw an article about Readings greatest restaurants that was literally the trip advisor list. They even had the comments. Just awful.

Went to panic buy onions garlic and stock cubes and to get some booze chocs and yorkshire puddings for christmas. There was no cravendale. People must have splashed for the extra shelf life.

Pretty normal for pre Christmas period at Romford Asda this morning and it was empty shelves and scrums for bog roll here in March so I think if it was going to kick off it would have already.

I've got two bags of spuds and some frozen veg as my concession to panic buying.

Back
Top Bottom