Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What are you panic buying?

That paper and getreading are fucking awful rags. Clickbait usually with no info whatsoever. I once saw an article about Readings greatest restaurants that was literally the trip advisor list. They even had the comments. Just awful.
Reading's Great Restaurants sounds like it's off Partridge or The Office

Pretty normal for pre Christmas period at Romford Asda this morning and it was empty shelves and scrums for bog roll here in March so I think if it was going to kick off it would have already.

I've got two bags of spuds and some frozen veg as my concession to panic buying.

I don't think proper panic buyers get up this early do they? Try back at 5pm.

The rumours of a potato shortage are genuinely frightening, but that can't be to do with anything much apart from everyone needing the comfort of spuds right? I mean they are one of the things we do make here, i thought.

Oh god I had better be able to get some spuds - and to think I was worried about whether I'd be able to get any King Edwards!

I don't buy spuds from Morrisons, their spuds are always unaccountably shite.

The rumours of a potato shortage are genuinely frightening, but that can't be to do with anything much apart from everyone needing the comfort of spuds right? I mean they are one of the things we do make here, i thought.

We're fine with potatoes and can be self-sufficient if we need to be. There may be some retail packing bottle-necks or something, but nothing to worry about.

For more than you want to know check out the Agriculture and Horticulture Development Board's potato pages:

Potato Weekly

I've done oa lot of last-minute Christmas shops over the years as I get paid on the 22nd. Veg is ALWAYS in short supply around this time, seen plenty of empty shelves in places like Morrisons before.

I went shopping at 7 this morning after a 4pm shop yesterday meant husband came home without yorkshire puddings/potatoes/tomatoes/bread/meat and Actimel. I managed to procure all required items successfully BUT it was quite busy already AND some things were flying off shelves quickly. It felt definitely more manic and panicky than the usual Christmas busy atmosphere. It was busy so little social distancing was being observed, but people were wearing masks.

Though I'll say this. If I get Covid, that's where I got it. People were being really polite, nobody came close to bumping into me. But it was packed. (I'd say Xmas shopping packed, not loon panic buying packed). And the contrast with March, considering things are now x times worse, was unbelievable. No queue system. No 1-way system. You wouldn't know there was a pandemic on if it wasn't for the masks.

Though I'll say this. If I get Covid, that's where I got it. People were being really polite, nobody came close to bumping into me. But it was packed. (I'd say Xmas shopping packed, not loon panic buying packed). And the contrast with March, considering things are now x times worse, was unbelievable. No queue system. No 1-way system. You wouldn't know there was a pandemic on if it wasn't for the masks.
I am delaying plans for lidl now. Might go to tonight at 2130.

Yep. Why is that. I'm tier 4 and the supermarket last time i went anyway hasn't resumed the controls on numbers & 1 way system that they had back in march.

Went to the shops. Saw the same. Glad stocked up till next week now

Last edited:
Not easy to panic buy when you have to cart the whole load 200 yards down the road in two enormous Ikea totes - just the usual week's shopping as a carrot-muncher is one journey .... and 6 large jars of Polish pickles is as many as I've chanced so far ... and every trip to the shops is a significant increase in risk from such a low base ...

I suppose the way things are I might make a special trip for canned beans - but fresh veggies don't keep - even stored by the window in my freezing kitchen area ...

Beer and cat litter

I remember one time I was shopping (when I lived with mogs) and as I tend to, put the heaviest items on the supermarket conveyor belt first, and got quite an odd look when the person in front of me turned round and all that was visible at that moment was beer and cat food...

Between normal Christmas shopping, covid Christmas shopping and closed EU borders, I doubt there'll be any brie to be had by the time I get to the shops.

There’s a few UK made Brie’s that knock spots off French Brie - Baron Bigod being one!
I don't really have time to order online. Also although I'm into good cheese, I couldn't be bothered with the cost of it this year for various covid related reasons.

Back
Top Bottom