Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What are you panic buying?

Not easy to panic buy when you have to cart the whole load 200 yards down the road in two enormous Ikea totes

My father (who never drove) had a method for this. He'd take as much as he could carry e.g. two bags and walk with them for a hundred yards, then put them down on the pavement, return and get the other two bags, walk past the bags he'd left a further hundred yards, put those down and go back and get the other two, repeated for the mile and half journey. He'd do this with our holiday luggage for visiting grandparents when we were too poor to get a taxi to the station and I was too small to carry anything. For shopping it's probably easier to just do two trips in a day.

My father (who never drove) had a method for this. He'd take as much as he could carry e.g. two bags and walk with them for a hundred yards, then put them down on the pavement, return and get the other two bags, walk past the bags he'd left a further hundred yards, put those down and go back and get the other two, repeated for the mile and half journey. He'd do this with our holiday luggage for visiting grandparents when we were too poor to get a taxi to the station and I was too small to carry anything. For shopping it's probably easier to just do two trips in a day.

Do it while you can. It'll be a bit harder when hungry Covid20 bandits are roaming the streets looking for nourishment.

I remember one time I was shopping (when I lived with mogs) and as I tend to, put the heaviest items on the supermarket conveyor belt first, and got quite an odd look when the person in front of me turned round and all that was visible at that moment was beer and cat food...
I wear my sadfuckness with pride !

Well the "Polish" shop is still all out of Greek Salad and I suspect will be for quite a while :(
I was definitely aiming to hoard some of that ...

That's not a bad idea. I walk to the shops so take two heavy duty jute/canvas type bags with nice handles so I can carry them back OK. The two bag limit means I have to go shopping more often which increases the chance of me buying additional stuff I don't really need. But I enjoy food shopping so it's no big deal.

Just lately I've found myself looking at shopping trolleys
They're very practical things and ideal for hauling heavier stuff. I've never used one but think my gran had one. It's the law that they must contain at least some tartan fabric.

1608649089698.png

All your trolley needs are on this site.

They're very practical things and ideal for hauling heavier stuff. I've never used one but think my gran had one. It's the law that they must contain at least some tartan fabric.

View attachment 244765

Supermarkets provide them for under £1. :)

My father (who never drove) had a method for this. He'd take as much as he could carry e.g. two bags and walk with them for a hundred yards, then put them down on the pavement, return and get the other two bags, walk past the bags he'd left a further hundred yards, put those down and go back and get the other two

hmm

round where i'm from that would end up with both sets of bags getting nicked...

View attachment 244765

I borrowed one of those from my Mum in March. Very useful piece of kit. Shopping for three households on foot is no joke. If I'd not had one of these I would have been
a) Knackered
b) As fit as a butcher's dog

I started taking my travel wheelie case to the shops when I switched to doing weekly or two-weekly shops in lockdown 1, rather than getting bits and bobs every day after work.

Have been secretly hankering after a granny trolley ever since!

I/we accidentally shoplifted a bottle of Baileys, bottle of Sherry and 2 bottles of Vouvray wine today, not too far shy of 60 quid <eek>

We were using one of those scan as you go thingys and mis-communication between Mrs Numbers and I meant they made their way into one of the bags unscanned.

I feel zero guilt.

I/we accidentally shoplifted a bottle of Baileys, bottle of Sherry and 2 bottles of Vouvray wine today, not too far shy of 60 quid <eek>

We were using one of those scan as you go thingys and mis-communication between Mrs Numbers and I meant they made their way into one of the bags unscanned.

I feel zero guilt.
Didn't it set off an alarm ?

I once marched out of Tesco with a bottle of wine I'd paid-for. I set off the alarm but kept on going as I couldn't be arsed to have them remove the tag ...

Didn't it set off an alarm ?

I once marched out of Tesco with a bottle of wine I'd paid-for. I set off the alarm but kept on going as I couldn't be arsed to have them remove the tag ...
set off alarm today and only found when i got home that the tag hadn't been taken off a bottle of wine.

so i set to with a prising bar and then realised that i didn't need to remove the tag to get at the contents.

I feel zero guilt.

I’ve started picking up one bottle of mulled wine and one bottle of Smirnoff, scan the wine and put the voddy on the scales, then scan the wine again. Pay a fiver for some cooking wine and a bottle of voddy. I haven’t been challenged about it yet.

I’ve started picking up one bottle of mulled wine and one bottle of Smirnoff, scan the wine and put the voddy on the scales, then scan the wine again. Pay a fiver for some cooking wine and a bottle of voddy. I haven’t been challenged about it yet.
when i've been buying booze on the scab tills no one's ever paid much attention to what i actually had, they must see hundreds of people a day and just go into autopilot

when i've been buying booze on the scab tills no one's ever paid much attention to what i actually had, they must see hundreds of people a day and just go into autopilot

There’s someone who works the scab tills at my local Sains, a fuckin stickler for checking what’s in your bag first, & then has the bastard audacity to check that against the list on the till when age verifying. Boils my piss, the fuckin jobsworth! :mad:

There’s someone who works the scab tills at my local Sains, a fuckin stickler for checking what’s in your bag first, & then has the bastard audacity to check that against the list on the till when age verifying. Boils my piss, the fuckin jobsworth! :mad:
Tuck yer smoked salmon inside the guardian just to spite the fucker.

Last edited:

They aren’t arsed gonna risk challenging people are they. Would you?

The express stores are a soft touch, but the big ones are a different animal.

Supermarkets provide them for under £1. :)
I love the ones at my Lidl that have electronic auto lock wheels as soon as anyone attempts to take them over the shop threshold. Most amusing.

I tend to go with a massive hiking rucksack and two extra bags for my hands.
I went on Monday 8am and there wasn't any panic buying going on that I could see. I couldn't find the mozzarella sticks though.

I have literally just watched someone getting a pull by the security in Bethnal Green Tiny Sainsbury's. The security guard had clocked him cheating the scab till yesterday and wanted a word! I bet that doesn't happen in 99.9% of cases though.

Back
Top Bottom