Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Are you travelling over Christmas?

A public service announcement -

National Rail Enquiries is showing some trains in to late evening on Xmas Eve that will not be running (looked something up for someone else and saw it was all balls.)

:mad:

Broadly, the national rail network shuts down by about 10 pm on Xmas Eve - as in the trains are back in their boxes and train crew on their way home round 10 pm, not last departures round 10 pm, so the longer the journey, the earlier the last departures, if you see what i mean.

Also some train operators are reporting cancellations because of train crew off sick / self isolating.

This is TFL's page for xmas eve - broadly most of their services running until about 2300 - midnight, but no night buses / 24 hour routes in to Xmas Day, and some bits of overground pack it in round the same time as national rail.

Buses outside London tend to do their own thing, so check with the local operator/s, but it's fairly common (assuming there are buses of an evening) to pack it in round 8 pm, or run a much reduced service late evening.

And in many cases it may be amended / Saturday timetable to start with.

My dad went and tested positive last Friday, and I'm pretty sure he tested positive again today as he avoided explicitly answering whether it was negative.

It's tricky. Instinctively it feels mad to visit when I know he's positive, but... in theory, he should be testing negative any day now (the report after his positive PCR said the 25th :facepalm: ), and their house is big enough that in theory I could stay pretty well clear of him.

Plus, I decided not to go last year, so that'd be two Christmasses missed (even though I could probably visit a few days after Christmas once he's testing negative again...).

Technically I could also just decide to take the isolating hit myself and stay there for 10 days, regardless of whether he's testing negative by the time I'm there.

I honestly can't figure out if it's more un/reasonable to avoid going to a positive household, or cancel Christmas even though I could quite likely avoid transmitting to the further population, and very possibly myself.

Ugh, I really hate this kinda thing.

When did his symptoms start? Some people can test positive for months after infection, so if he's done his 10 days (or near enough) I wouldn't wait for a negative test.

Driving from Devon to Reading on 23rd - planned to see mates (almost certainly off now) and stop in a hotel that night.

Then to Kent Xmas Eve to see my Dad dropping in on friends on the way. Back on 28th /29th, maybe seeing another friend on the way back.

Would rather be stopping at home but my Dad wants to go ahead and he’s now bought the food etc. I floated the cancelling idea and he dismissed it.

A303 busy heading west no doubt due to second home cunts on their way to Devon and Cornwall

Hmm

London to Leicester yesterday to see ILs. Train very quiet - easy to social distance. Daily LFTs for everyone seems fine so far.

When did his symptoms start? Some people can test positive for months after infection, so if he's done his 10 days (or near enough) I wouldn't wait for a negative test.
Not sure about the symptoms, as he hasn't really had many I don't think.

All I can remember is my mum suggested he do a test when she was doing one routinely this time last week.

journey from wokingham-ish to se london achieved in about 5 hours.

aftermath of 2 accidents on the M25

then just after coming off the M25, hit flood water on the A20 and came down to earth with some loud scraping noises under the car

thought i had buggered the suspension

rac bloke delayed as the road got closed for a bit while the highways people sorted out the flooding.

turned out to be part of someone else's exhaust pipe / back box stuck inside my nearside front wheel.

rac bloke said he had not seen that before and no obvious damage and could drive the last 8 miles or so.

sod xmas

Cycled the 20 or so miles to my brother's. It was going to be quite a big gathering, but has ended up being just us, given the whole situation.

Really glad to be here, and not to have had to get on a worrisome train.

Back
Top Bottom