Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What are you panic buying?

Ocado aren't simply out of stock of frozen cod fillets, they've removed all such products from their inventory entirely, as if they never existed. :eek:

The only frozen fillets are sea bass, mackerel, sardines, salmon, tuna, pollock and smoked haddock. 😕

Have fish & chip shops been stockpiling the supply of cod and haddock perhaps?

Again, NOT panic buying, more . . . ensuring I have "enough" and bought direct from the manufacturers on-line shop, so a solution open to all

6 large bottles of Stokes Tomato Ketchup - that'll see me right for breakfasts for the foreseeable, but it was getting close - my usual shop has C-19 closed and none of the supermarkets round our way stock it . . . dark times have been averted

Sainsbury's Whitechapel. No queue - guess the message about the elderly and disabled hour has got about. Not an enormous number of shoppers, and I'm guessing more NHS/carers than either elderly or disabled. Still further back to 'normal' in terms of stocks, and physically more stuff on the shelves. Bigger range of tinned goods, particularly soups, than last week, and bigger stock of tinned tomatoes. The main aisle of tins still only has them on one side, and they're widely spaced apart with large gaps, where they used to be closely packed and also took up half the opposite racks of shelving as well. The self service checkout machines have had isolation panels fitted around them.

Less traffic on Commercial Road than last week although oddly it also felt more 'back to normal'. (scratches head). Where last week there was one fruit and veg stall in Whitechapel Road, this week there were three.

I've become rather aware of how unfit I've become through doing a weeks shopping in one go. In the past I'd do what I used to mistakenly think of as a big shop every week or ten days, and top up from one of the nearer shops a few times in between. Carrying a complete weeks supplies I now find myself well out of puff. Still I guess the sight of me breathing heavily and glassy eyed helps encourage social distancing :D

I got around to organising my quarantine queue so I can't not see what I've bought.

I've been over-buying certain items - especially soy milk just as I've (thankfully) lost my appetite a bit ... but it's difficult to do your scary once a week trip to the supermarket for fresh veggies and not buy a load of other stuff... perhaps I have doubts that the supply chain will hold up ...

The continuity of my life hinges on breakfast...
Key items 1.7kg of bread flour and 40g of yeast - so I'm OK for 2 weeks ...
peanut butter and yeast extract - ditto
Coffee is at a critical stage and I'm down to my emergency beans - which suddenly taste OK ...

quarantine.jpg

There’s a wholesale place near here that has opened up to the public, they normally only serve trade like restaurants so stuff is in big packs, but they have eggs (pack of 30) and strong flour (16kg!):

My mum lives about a mile away so phoned in an order and drove to the place, they stick your order in the boot of the car. The Bristol place is actually inside the docks so you have to give your car registration which they pass to security.

Food shop | Brakes Foodservice has instructions for pick up orders.

There‘s branches dotted around the country, several near London.

As for bread flour, FWP Matthews seem to open up their online shop every day at 10am briefly. Lots of stuff is out of stock but there's something. I ordered March 22 and got it a full month later, but that was when things were properly mad. It seems to be about two weeks now.

So if it actually turns up, you can have some if you like?
Cheers for the offer. I've managed to find that yeast online from here - no minimum order but a six quid delivery charge which is fair enough.

Absolutely no yeast in any shop I tried in the city centre. Managed to find some of those ready to go packets that already contain yeast so that'll do until the yeast is delivered.

There's also this place near Strangeways,but the minimum order for delivery is pretty hefty so collection only. It looks like trade only but they don't explicitly say this.

Yeah, I looked through some trade shops today. My order is with Thomas Ridley Food. It might not get fulfilled, who knows.

Miracle of miracles Asda had plain flour! I bought two bags which I suppose is part of the problem but no plain flour means no Chinese meat pies and that's an essential part of my family's cultural life.

Lot more masks this week. Also had a joint before I went (yes, at 7.45am) which helped a lot. It may have been that people were being a bit better behaved this week or maybe the weed just chilled me the fuck out but a lot less edgy and a lot less anxiety this week.

mauvais - mine has been despatched and is due for delivery tomorrow. So give me a shout if you want me to send a packet to you or drop it off in some form of clandestine social distancing tram manoevre (I'm officially permitted to travel so no fines).

eta - now delivered. They're basically vacuum-sealed bricks like that type of ground coffee you can buy. They last two years according to the label.

Last edited:
Also, no aubergines or spinach wtf

Try any 'ethnic' shops you have to hand. Round here the panic-buyers stripped the supermarket shelves bare, but the Asian shop just down the street from me has remained pretty well stocked throughout the crisis. They did run out of rice and tinned tomatoes at one point but they're back in stock now, and there's been no problem with spices, vegetables, pulses and so on. They even had hand sanitiser gel the other week! :eek:

Thing about some of these shops is the narrowness of the aisles and the impossibility of social distancing

The one I use is only letting a couple of people in at a time - but yes, I think that is a problem with some others. It's not just independent shops, though: the little Sainsbury's near me has exactly the same problem and the same imperfect solution.

The one I use is only letting a couple of people in at a time - but yes, I think that is a problem with some others. It's not just independent shops, though: the little Sainsbury's near me has exactly the same problem and the same imperfect solution.
Aye, my local co-op is like that too. And full of cunts who don’t keep away from you

Back
Top Bottom