Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What are you panic buying?

Ordered four largish storage boxes yesterday evening (18:15) from some unknown online supplier based in Sheffield as part of a project tidying up the storage vaults at the back of the house. Postage was free, and they turned up via a parcel company at 10:30 this morning. In a time when second class post is taking about a week this was a bit amazing. Wouldn’t have even given enough time for the viral load on the contents to die off.

Still no eggs, no flour :(

I do have some eggs but I really don't like having to ration them, we normally eat a lot of eggs, the ones I managed to get were really expensive too. Plenty of broccoli in Iceland today, don't need any today haha. Got cheese, quorn mince, beef mince, bread and some cider and snacks

I see eggs fairly regularly, but flour is only in corner shops. I try to make a tour of the local ones and remember which ones have any. I still have an unopened 2kg bag of gram flour but once that's open I will be searching for more.

Tinned tomatoes seem incredibly rare now. It's actually much easier to buy fresh tomatoes, so I've started doing that. I wonder if people realise that there is a connection between the two products :hmm:

I see eggs fairly regularly, but flour is only in corner shops. I try to make a tour of the local ones and remember which ones have any. I still have an unopened 2kg bag of gram flour but once that's open I will be searching for more.

Tinned tomatoes seem incredibly rare now. It's actually much easier to buy fresh tomatoes, so I've started doing that. I wonder if people realise that there is a connection between the two products :hmm:

Speaking as someone who regularly makes sauces from fresh tomatoes, it has to be said that tinned are a lot easier for some things. I don't bother with chopped ones though, only the plum tomatoes as I also like those with sausages and cheesy mash :D so they serve multiple functions. They're also cheaper than buying an equivalent amount of fresh (which is a major concern for me right now). I have been finding tinned tomatoes ok though, Morrison's own brand at 28p a tin are perfectly nice.

Speaking as someone who regularly makes sauces from fresh tomatoes, it has to be said that tinned are a lot easier for some things. I don't bother with chopped ones though, only the plum tomatoes as I also like those with sausages and cheesy mash :D so they serve multiple functions. They're also cheaper than buying an equivalent amount of fresh (which is a major concern for me right now). I have been finding tinned tomatoes ok though, Morrison's own brand at 28p a tin are perfectly nice.
Yeah, fresh are definitely not as convenient for sauces. I find that I just don't cook as much stuff with a tomato sauce base nowadays really. I did make up a generic chunky sauce earlier today with my penultimate can, but I won't be doing that for a while.

I find that tomato purée plus pasta or potato water works well as a sauce base when I need it (though tomato purée is also one of the things that's increasingly rare).

Today, Tesco had flour in. Plain flour. A lot of plain flour. But - critically - only plain flour. I spent so long scouring the shelves and I spent a long time trying to decipher the subtle variations in the packaging of the parsimonious McDougall selection to see if such a thing as wholewheat flour was available. It wasn't. So long, though, that I became aware of an increasing number of people pausing at socially-responsible distances, felt obliged to take a bag of the Tesco plain flour (85p) as if that was what I had wanted all along, and bugger off out of it.

I wouldn't mind a tin opener that works, I have two that have stopped working - grr

New ones are easy to source, I'll bet! :D

Our old one was crap, but we brought in the scarcely-used tin-opener from our camper, and it works like a dream :cool:

Saying that, a large proportion of food tins have now had ring-pull openings for the last few years.
That used to be a beer-can-only thing ....

Eggs are no problem here. I have a couple of...informal sources, but there are a fair few in the shops, too. One of the advantages of rural living, I suppose.

It seems there's definitely a difference in local availability of goods, even within a few miles. I haven't seen eggs in any of the supermarkets here for about 3 weeks now but found a pack of 30 expensive eggs in one of the independent local shops - there were not many left. They had white shells and Nate got very excited because most of the supermarkets usually do brown eggs. At least someone is happy LOL.

in terms of flour, I got some 000 flour (before anyone starts crying "that doesn't exist, you mean 00" - it is a Romanian baby-powder-fine flour that is most often used to make Cozonac, a sweet dessert bread made with yeast and either a nut paste or dried fruit, going to give it a try at some point) but I haven't seen any plain flour in weeks.

New ones are easy to source, I'll bet! :D

Our old one was crap, but we brought in the scarcely-used tin-opener from our camper, and it works like a dream :cool:

Saying that, a large proportion of food tins have now had ring-pull openings for the last few years.
That used to be a beer-can-only thing ....

One thing I've been finding lately when scouring the budget options is that ring-pulls only exist on the higher priced brands. Lidl and supermarket own brands do not seem to have ring-pulls, so by this I can only assume that the price of the ring-pull pushes up the unit price considerably. I am ok with a tin opener, I have one with a big handle that is ok with my arthritis :)

One thing I've been finding lately when scouring the budget options is that ring-pulls only exist on the higher priced brands. Lidl and supermarket own brands do not seem to have ring-pulls, so by this I can only assume that the price of the ring-pull pushes up the unit price considerably. I am ok with a tin opener, I have one with a big handle that is ok with my arthritis :)

Oh I'm fine with a tin-opener too, but I honestly didn't know that about differential pricing :oops:
Sweet corn in tins is up there a a favourite for us, and both Sainsbury's own-brand and the cheap corn that Lidls have are ring-pull.
When we had our lovely cats, it was starting to become rare for us to find tinned catfood (even quite cheap) that wasn't ring-pull .... and that was over two years ago ... ( :( ).
I suppose those must must be exceptions .... :confused:

Even when I had two working can openers I preferred the ring pull cans. I tend to wash out used cans before recycling them and recently cut myself quite badly on a sharp edge of a trad can. Deffo prefer ring pull, last night the only chopped tomato tins were traditional.

Going to panic buy marmalade, peanut butter and perhaps Bovril.

On my last shopping trip I bought bread and butter but forgot to get anything to put on it! grr oh and tea bags ..

Found some white bread flour, but not wholemeal or yeast. Will venture out in the next day or so for yeast and wholemeal. Couldn't see rechargeable batteries on sale, so will order some online.

Back
Top Bottom