Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What are you panic buying?

I didn't make those Chinese meat buns btw because I had no plain flour left. However I now think I can make a decent go at an equivalent with chickpea flour batter. Though not particularly Chinese apart from the filling (chickpea flour has quite a strong taste).

A fair number of general corner shops do have flour, presumably working on the basis of "people want this stuff let's get more in". Oh the fools without the wisdom of Lord Tesco, who I don't think is even ordering it in more than usual (maybe even less than usual).

Unfortunately none of the shops around here (I have been going to our independent ones for veg and pasta and to check for flour) have had any ordinary plain flour or strong flour for weeks now. So that is alas not the case everywhere. :(

Did a Lidl shop earlier. Staff and public alike seem to have given up on distancing compared to last visit two weeks ago. No problems with my list, was fully stocked apart from 'brand' baked beans but I got some.

Stopped at my small local Nisa for fresh mint (mojito) on the way back and the staff have given up with masks/gloves that were in place a week ago.

I hope this does not cause any spike in cases/deaths.

local-ish co-op seems to have a fairly regular supply of eggs again. big sainsburys had clearly had some today as there was a small amount of wreckage left this evening

We have managed to get flour in Sainsburys and M&S but only when we’ve been shopping early.
Mr Looby picked up one bag last week, decided to go back for another 10 mins later and they were all gone. He got some wholemeal for his mum today and I managed to get some self raising in M&S.

My shopping activities are shambolic. I make a list on my phone - even confer with it when in the shop - but then come home without items that I carefully put on my list! Duh ..

I am trying to shop once a week, which shouldn't be so hard, today I popped into the local store and bought some stuff but I particularly needed more Weetabix but inexplicably forgot to buy any!

My shopping activities are shambolic. I make a list on my phone - even confer with it when in the shop - but then come home without items that I carefully put on my list! Duh ..

I am trying to shop once a week, which shouldn't be so hard, today I popped into the local store and bought some stuff but I particularly needed more Weetabix but inexplicably forgot to buy any!
i do a bullet point list which i tick off each time i get summat. easy peasy

I use Copy Me That! (have it on my PC and a linked app on my phone) for recipe storage, menu planning, and shopping lists :)

I still come home without stuff but that is largely due to either shortages, or me getting stressed to meltdown phase before getting halfway around the supermarket :oops:

I use Copy Me That! (have it on my PC and a linked app on my phone) for recipe storage, menu planning, and shopping lists :)
I have "Google Keep" synced on my phone and PC .. it can do bulleted lists ..

I still come home without stuff but that is largely due to either shortages, or me getting stressed to meltdown phase before getting halfway around the supermarket :oops:
When I have my bulleted list, there will be no excuses!

I've just done a proper list of things I get for the deliveries and mark what I need :cool:

I added crumpets just last night thank you urban :)

We have managed to get flour in Sainsburys and M&S but only when we’ve been shopping early.
The main M & S branch in town has been completely devoid of flour for ages. I did manage to buy the last remaining bag of white bread flour a week or so ago, but every time I've been in since the shelves are empty. I want some wholemeal bread flour so I'll have to keep trying.

Plenty of eggs though.

Ocado have had only bread flour for the last few weeks, but now they've suddenly switched to having only self-raising flour.

We can't go shopping to shops, so we'll have to start eating cakes for lunch every day. 😐

Does that app convert recipes from cups? I'm rubbish with americanisms when it comes to cooking. But looks like it would be quite handy - especially at the moment.

Ocado have had only bread flour for the last few weeks, but now they've suddenly switched to having only self-raising flour.

We can't go shopping to shops, so we'll have to start eating cakes for lunch every day. 😐
Dumpling stew.
Cheesy scones.
Can also use sr flour for sauces, cutlet coatings or anything where a raising agent won't alter the dish.

My wife accidentally used sr flour to make Chinese dumpling dough a few weeks ago (wouldn't have worked) but I noticed in time and managed to get enough butter, eggs and sugar in the dough to make passable cookies.

We do our main shop once a week, my wife gets into the big Sainsbury’s near us in the NHS slot early doors. We build the list around the layout of the shop, she then manoeuvres around quite militantly and swiftly and thankfully is usually out by the time of general entry.

I do a more local shop for e.g. eggs during the week. Thankfully we’ve been lucky with our preferred choice of eggs, both of us are Burford Brown / Cotswold Legbar fans and we consume a lot.

You can make quick breads with s-r flour

Does that app convert recipes from cups? I'm rubbish with americanisms when it comes to cooking. But looks like it would be quite handy - especially at the moment.
You need one of these.

Makes it very easy :)

Be forewarned. American cup sizes are different to UK cup sizes and both differ from Australian too. The premise of using cups is ratio so if all the ingredients are measured in terms of cups it'll be okay but if it's a mix of cups and tea/tablespoons you'll need to double check. My cookshop retail worker knowledge never leaves me.

Be forewarned. American cup sizes are different to UK cup sizes and both differ from Australian too. The premise of using cups is ratio so if all the ingredients are measured in terms of cups it'll be okay but if it's a mix of cups and tea/tablespoons you'll need to double check. My cookshop retail worker knowledge never leaves me.
Mine, which is also from Tala, but looks a little different, has both English and American cup sizes marked in it, so I'd guess that theirs all do :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom