Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What are you baking?

No pics, but I made my very first fruitcake (in a loaf tin) at the weekend, using sultanas, raisins (cos 'mixed' fruit always involves peel, which then involves a fuckton of UPF ingredients which I've spent the year trying to avoid!), glace cherries, a dsp of over-set bramble jelly, sweet mixed spice, eggs, butter, SR flour and soft light brown sugar.

I'm delighted with it. Incredibly tasty, easy to make. Will be making this regularly now.

No pics, but I made my very first fruitcake (in a loaf tin) at the weekend, using sultanas, raisins (cos 'mixed' fruit always involves peel, which then involves a fuckton of UPF ingredients which I've spent the year trying to avoid!), glace cherries, a dsp of over-set bramble jelly, sweet mixed spice, eggs, butter, SR flour and soft light brown sugar.

I'm delighted with it. Incredibly tasty, easy to make. Will be making this regularly now.

I love fruit cakes! I should probably start thinking about Xmas cake soon :D
Lighter ones are lovely too of course.

Recipe! It’s sounds great. (I get migraines from orange peel, so I’m delighted to avoid it).

Recipe! It’s sounds great. (I get migraines from orange peel, so I’m delighted to avoid it).

She does mention 'mixed' fruit, but I bought separate bags of sultanas and raisins, having checked the ingredients and found they only contained the fruit and sunflower/similar seed oil, no nasties.

I don't have a mixer either, just used a spoon and bowl. Piece of piss to make, and gorgeous 🥰

I love fruit cakes! I should probably start thinking about Xmas cake soon :D
Lighter ones are lovely too of course.
See, I have hated Xmas cake for years, but I can totally see me making my own now.

I'm gonna try making a date and walnut loaf cake next weekend 😎

She does mention 'mixed' fruit, but I bought separate bags of sultanas and raisins, having checked the ingredients and found they only contained the fruit and sunflower/similar seed oil, no nasties.

I don't have a mixer either, just used a spoon and bowl. Piece of piss to make, and gorgeous 🥰
Oh brilliant! I bought some mixed fruit a while ago with the intention of making a fruit cake, also my first ever one, but haven't attempted it yet.

The recipes I looked at at the time where all for "tea loaves", with the fruit soaked in tea, but with this one having been tried and tested and found to be tasty by you, I'll give this one a whirl.

Could you share the recipe for your lemon & courgette cake please RubyToogood ? Would be good to have a look before I start trying to tweak the one I used recently (which was pretty shit)

Could you share the recipe for your lemon & courgette cake please RubyToogood ? Would be good to have a look before I start trying to tweak the one I used recently (which was pretty shit)
It's this one www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/vegan-courgette-cake

I added cardamom too and used soft light brown sugar. The icing recipe is very wrong. Start with 50g icing sugar and enough lemon juice to turn it into icing then see how you go. It only needs a light coating.

It is quite puddingy and prone to disintegrating.

It's this one www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/vegan-courgette-cake

I added cardamom too and used soft light brown sugar. The icing recipe is very wrong. Start with 50g icing sugar and enough lemon juice to turn it into icing then see how you go. It only needs a light coating.

It is quite puddingy and prone to disintegrating.
Thank you! Mine was also quite puddingy. Gonna experiment with swapping the almonds for flour, squeezing the water out of the grated courgettes and putting lemon juice as well as zest in the batter next time, I think.

Second attempt at the lemon, courgette and poppy seed cake. It's going in a thankyou hamper along with a load of veg for one of our neighbours, so won't get to see how it cuts or taste it, but it looks a lot more like what I was aiming for. Thought it was going to rise right out of the tin and all over the oven, mind!

Already done a standard lemon juice and caster (didn't have granulated) sugar drizzle, but I'll make a small amount of thin lemon glace icing to drizzle over the top too when it cools. If I had piping stuff or a syringe and it hadn't risen so perfectly flat on top, I was going to pipe a few blobs of lemon curd inside along the top too but I'll just give them a jar instead.

Picture of a tall rectangular loaf shaped cake cooling on a rack on my kitchen table

Mrs LR has been away for a week with an old school friend. So I’m baking this for their return this evening. It’s in the oven now. Looking forward to it. 😎

Hmm, thinking of fruit cake - I might get the ingredients together now to start making xmas cakes next time it's cold and windy enough to have the oven on for ages.

Back
Top Bottom