Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

We're running out of fish.

Why not? That would solve at lot our problems. We've fed cows to cows. We've fed shit to cows. No reason we can't feed people to people. ;)

Might well be the reason behind the Obesity crisis; "Worlds going to be fucked by climate change and we'll live in underground holes, I know lets fatten the poor people up first so they can feed us"

Might well be the reason behind the Obesity crisis; "Worlds going to be fucked by climate change and we'll live in underground holes, I know lets fatten the poor people up first so they can feed us"

If you want to fatten up cattle, you fill them with antibiotics and corn. That's pretty much what we've been doing to humans.

This reminds me:

My dad (who is into marine conservation and all that) sent me the link for this film:

Home | The End of the Line

It premiers at the Glasgow Film Theatre on the 8th

Glasgow Film Theatre - Glasgow Cinema and Film - GFT

with Q&A session after.

It is also showing at the Ritzy from Monday the 8th, also with Q&A session after:

http://www.picturehouses.co.uk/news_item.aspx?venueId=ritz&id=1725

Other screenings here:

Upcoming Screenings | The End of the Line
watched this last night -... i was aware of all this but its upsetting seeing it in pictures
There are quotas - theyre set way higher than what scientists recommend and are totally ignored by a sizeable proportion of industrial fishing corporations, and they get away with it - daylight robbery. The film stats suggested 6 times as much fish is caught than what scientist say is necessary to stop the terminal decline. The quota was at around 2.5 times more than that figure.

The film was made in 2009 and I had a google around to see what the latest fish population was like and it just looks worse and worse.

The one thing the film said you can do as a consumer is only eat fish that clearly states it was caught from sustainable sources - most fish isn't. Prices should be much much higher too, to reflect the fact we have less than a tenth of the fish we had in the 50s. I think a tax would be a good thing - with all money raised fenced off to reinvest in fish protection.

Alaska was one model where having a short fishing season rigorously policed is helping in that region....though of course fish swim all over the place so its not enough to do it one location.

One thing I reckon would help is just outright ban certain size of boats and trawlers - force down the capacity of the world fleet (and allow smaller trad fishing communities a slice of the stolen pie)

Seems to me this is a massive story and goes hugely underreported....considering the outcry and the shooting of that gorilla in a zoo, or that lion the other day, the wiping out of the worlds fish stocks gets little attention

Last edited:
Seems to me this is a massive story and goes hugely underreported....considering the outcry and the shooting of that gorilla in a zoo, or that lion the other day, the wiping out of the worlds fish stocks gets little attention

One analogy I've heard is that the damage to the seas is like the damage caused by smoking - if the lungs were on the outside of the body, nobody would ever smoke, and what's happening to the oceans wouldn't be allowed to happen if people could clearly see the scale of destruction.

But since it's out of sight, people are getting away with the equivalent of dumping trash in the Serengeti and scooping out the animals to turn into pet food - and even something as huge and important as the Great Barrier Reef can be severely damaged without too much of an outcry.

The South China Sea Is Really a Fishery Dispute

The hidden cause of the South China Sea disputes: there aren’t enough fish in the sea.
July 20, 2016
Given its power and recent assertiveness in the South China Sea, China’s interests deserve special attention. Aside from enlarging China’s security perimeter, China’s regional interests can be roughly lumped into three “P”s—politics, petroleum, and proteins (fish). The last of these interests, competition over dwindling SCS fisheries, may be most consequential in driving competition, but has not received sufficient analytic attention.

Although the SCS covers only 2.5 percent of the Earth’s surface, it is home to some of the world’s richest reef systems and over 3,000 indigenous and migratory fish species, comprising some 12 percent of the total global fish catch. Unfortunately, the region’s fisheries are in serious jeopardy. As of 2008, virtually all SCS fishery stocks are collapsed (roughly 25 percent), over-exploited (roughly 25 percent), or fully-exploited (roughly 50 percent). The situation is only worsening.
Was readig this and thought of the thread.

Is there any tuna that it’s OK to eat?
Tesco is removing several lines of John West tuna from its shelves. So what varieties are sustainable, how should they be caught and from where?

n practice, however, the picture is bewildering. It is hard to be sure of what you are buying. If you shop somewhere else, you may know even less. The Marine Stewardship Council’s blue tick can be relied on, when you can find it, but much sustainable fish does not have it yet. The Marine Conservation Society’s free Good Fish Guide app contains all the information you need, but it is far from simple. “All seafood is a minefield,” admits Sam Stone, who is fisheries and aquaculture programme coordinator at the MCS. So what should you consider if you want to buy sustainable tuna in the UK?

Species
There are seven varieties of tuna you might buy: albacore, bigeye, skipjack, yellowfin, Atlantic bluefin (farmed and wild), southern bluefin (farmed and wild) and Pacific bluefin. One rule here is simple: avoid all bluefin tuna. Some are critically endangered species, and even farmed bluefin have to be captured from the wild. So no bluefin. Ever.

Albacore can be sustainable, bigeye and yellowfin rarely are, so the best tuna variety to choose is generally skipjack, a fast-growing species that is still quite plentiful around the world and makes up most of the tinned tuna you will find. The problem here, however, is how it’s caught.

Fishing method
Even healthy tuna stocks can be fished in such a way that lots of other animals – such as dolphins, sharks, seabirds and turtles – get killed in the process. Dragging a short line through the water means it can be aimed carefully, and checked more often, so it is better at catching tuna only. The names of these better methods are handline, pole-and-line or troll fishing. Fishing with a long line – often tens of kilometres long – is less safe, as it is hard to control and stays in the water for longer.

Fishing with a big net is generally even worse, as other animals get scooped up indiscriminately. However, it is not always unsustainable. Tuna caught by purse seine or pelagic trawl is sometimes fine. On the whole, you should avoid tuna caught by gillnet or drift net. To complicate things, using a Fad – or fish aggregation device – makes any fishing method worse. This can be almost anything, such as a raft, which floats in the open sea, encouraging fish to gather beneath it – including juveniles and other species. Fad-assisted fishing is usually done with a purse seine.

Where the tuna is caught matters for two reasons. First, stocks may be close to collapse in some places but not in others. Yellowfin tuna is dangerously overfished in the Indian Ocean, for instance, but more numerous in the Pacific. Second, fishing methods vary from place to place. So while there are plenty of skipjack tuna in the western and central Pacific, they are too often fished there with nets and Fads that also catch bigeye tuna by mistake.

So, for instance, Tesco Every Day Value tuna chunks are good, because they are skipjack that was caught with a pole and line. Whereas Waitrose yellowfin tuna steaks are um, don’t know, because they might have been caught by handline in the western and central Pacific (good) or they might been caught on long lines in the Indian Ocean (bad). They also cost 10 times as much.

Back
Top Bottom